Who is on the verge of busting if they have a bad season in 2018/19?

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I thought Perlini had a pretty solid year. Scored 18 goals I think on a terrible Arizona team
Same. Perlini still has 2-3 seasons to breakout but doesn’t look like he will bust. In the end, he still might be disappointing for top 12 pick but doesn’t seem on the bust road to me.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
In what world does this make any sense?
What, that I think Laine - who just had seasons of 36 goals in 73 games as an 18 year-old and 44 goals in 82 games as a 19 year-old may win the Maurice Richard Trophy next year? Do you consider that strange?

Or do you (which I hope) consider him winning the Richard Trophy as somewhat obvious and not really a "busting out" season? If that's so, I tend to agree and would retract my statement of busting out. However, it would still be his first big time NHL award.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
What, that I think Laine - who just had seasons of 36 goals in 73 games as an 18 year-old and 44 goals in 82 games as a 19 year-old may win the Maurice Richard Trophy next year? Do you consider that strange?

Or do you (which I hope) consider him winning the Richard Trophy as somewhat obvious and not really a "busting out" season? If that's so, I tend to agree and would retract my statement of busting out. However, it would still be his first big time NHL award.
LOL.

I get it now. You're thinking the OP means "Breaking out" as in blossoming into a star.

I think the OP meant, which players will prove themselves to be a very bad draft pick.

My mistake.

And ya, I could see Laine winning the Richard this year. Could be a great race this season.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I need to see better production from Nolan Patrick, personally. He had a late season spurt, but he's gotta do it over 82 games. If he becomes RNH, I will be dissapointed...maybe bust is harsh, but definitely a dissapointment.

He spent more than half the season recovering from surgery. He showed glimpses later on as his health returned. Calling him a disappointment after half a healthy season is a bit premature I’d say.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
60-80?

I think that ship has sailed. don't see him being more than a 40-50pt guy at best at this point. Nothing wrong with that, but you expect more out of a top 5 pick, especially with guys picked later (Nylander/Ehlers/Larkin) already 60+pt guys

I can see Bennett putting up consistent 60 point campaigns in his future. With the way the league is going perhaps not 80, but the guy hasn't had a good linemate (other than his rookie year) in 3 years. He isn't McDavid, he can't carry some of the worst players in the league around for 80 games (Brouwer, Chaisson, Lazar, Hathaway, etc., An older Versteeg).

Guy plays 2 games with mony and Gaudreau and puts up points, then we pick up Stewart off waivers and he gets demoted to the 3rd line for no reason. Like f*** man.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Philly exploring trade options for Provorov after a bad series against the Pens. Hahahahaha. Ok then. Not surprised I had to unignore someone in order to read that. Trolls run amuck today.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Strome just had a > PPG AHL season at 20 years old. He doesn't belong on that list.
Then you have to state if you consider Khokhlachev a bust(I don't). He is not in the NHL so many North Americans would claim he is. And he's had a PPG+ season in the AHL prior to leaving NA.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Kapanen is another player who needs a great season. Leaf fans keep saying the only reason he's been very unproductive/cant make their team is because of their depth and he's surely a 20/20 guy next season.

Some spots opening up and if he can't crack the top 6 or is unproductive then he very well may just be a 3rd/4th line fast player.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
For the Islanders, Pulock needs to at least get 40 points. Hopefully the new coach realizes this guy has a world class shot use him on the PP

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He was a 12th overall pick who's looking like he'll be a solid 50ish point player. Definitely no where near a bust, at all.
Wait till he is MTL and has to endure playing on that roster that looks like passengers on a plane going down in flames.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He's just not a very good hockey player. The jump seems to have worked out great for his younger brother.
His brother was supposed to be the next superstar. Now he isn't even going first overall. A talent that great is hard to bury, he will be a great player, but a lesser one than he could have become. It is in the family though from reading their interviews. Wrong decisions. It was hilarious to see E.Svechnikov, Yakupov and Burmistrov in one pic at Burmistrov' wedding. 3 busts together.(I do consider Evgeniy a bust already based on what the projection was. And I've seen him play since he was a junior in Kazan). Similar people think and act similarly.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Sam morrin ....Philly...10 .0.A. 2013

future repeats it self 3 years later

Logan Stanley .....WPG. 18 O.A. 2016

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Kapanen is another player who needs a great season. Leaf fans keep saying the only reason he's been very unproductive/cant make their team is because of their depth and he's surely a 20/20 guy next season.

Some spots opening up and if he can't crack the top 6 or is unproductive then he very well may just be a 3rd/4th line fast player.

Honestly, he's a middle-six NHL winger if you watch him play, and really has been for a year now. Great wheels, good hands. Not overly creative, but a guy that can play both special teams and has already shown an ability to score big goals. He's done with the AHL for sure (didn't even go back for their Calder Cup run despite being eligible).

The fact that Kapanen, Leivo, Jonsson , etc couldn't get in the lineup over Matt goddamn Martin for the first half of the season is much more of an indictment on Babcock than any real indication of their talent. With Komarov and JVR likely out, Martin perma-scratched, and the possibility of Nylander moving to centre, I'd put about a 90% chance on Kapanen skating in a top-9 role with the Leafs this season, hopefully with heavy PK usage.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Then you have to state if you consider Khokhlachev a bust(I don't). He is not in the NHL so many North Americans would claim he is. And he's had a PPG+ season in the AHL prior to leaving NA.

How is a 20 year old who is coming off that PPG season comparable to a 24 year old who did it two years ago?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Michael McCarron is in Tyler Biggs territory imo. Think next year is his time to put it together or get comfy in the AHL. (Coming from someone who liked his junior potential)

I think he has already reached Tyler Biggs territory. Of course in many Habs fans eyes, he must still have value, as he's involved in so many trades, "as a former # 1 pick"
Biggs and Percy two number #1s drafted in the same year by Burke. If he attended even one junior game, he would seen they weren't NHLers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad