Who is on the verge of busting if they have a bad season in 2018/19?

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
To me if Sam Bennett doesn't put it together next season, it's safe to call him a bust. Not in the sense that he's an awful player, just that he won't ever be that top 2C they thought he'd be.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Depends on your definition of "busting out". Laine has already had two great seasons under his belt, but his coming season he wins the Richard Trophy.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
20 point 4th line player is not what you hope to get out of a 6th overall pick. He would need to see a significant improvement to avoid that label

that's not what a bust is.

also a player who gets 20 es points in 4th line minutes probably isn't a 4th liner. no shit it's disappointing but it's not like he flamed out completely.

also just happened to post this in another thread

he's 22 and here's how his 5v5 p/60 compares with a few other players i found.

joe thornton - 1.32
jonathan drouin - 1.3
kyle okposo - 1.29
sam reinhart - 1.29
jake virtanen - 1.29
tomas plekanec - 1.26
victor rask - 1.25
wayne simmonds - 1.23
mikko koivu - 1.23
ryan o'reilly - 1.08
jason spezza - 1.02
frans nielsen - 1.00

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
that's not what a bust is.

also a player who gets 20 es points in 4th line minutes probably isn't a 4th liner. no **** it's disappointing but it's not like he flamed out completely.

also just happened to post this in another thread
Honest question: did you just cherry pick the players that turned out to be good? Did you leave out a ton of players with similar production who amounted to nothing?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Honest question: did you just cherry pick the players that turned out to be good? Did you leave out a ton of players with similar production who amounted to nothing?

the context in that post is that the guy i was responding to was claiming that he had no business being in the nhl with his production being one of the central arguments so i just included the noteworthy names. there were a bunch of other guys who i'd consider pretty regular/average nhl players too.

if you want a few names, here.

patrik berglund - 1.29
trevor lewis - 1.28
matt nieto - 1.27
michael frolik - 1.26
chris tierney - 1.26
travis zajac - 1.26
alex iaffalo - 1.22
brandon sutter - 1.20

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The words "bust" and "Laine" should never ever be mentioned in the same thread, let alone the same post lol. But I get your point, to me he's a top 3 scorer in the league already.
I was under the impression that @DannyGallivan was thinking the OP was asking about people "busting out" aka "breaking out" as in having a big season. Though I wouldn't consider Laine winning a Rocket as a "breakout" season.

Anyway, to the point of the thread for me my short list would be:

Jesse Pujlujarvi
Sam Bennett
Derrick Pouliot

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I was under the impression that @DannyGallivan was thinking the OP was asking about people "busting out" aka "breaking out" as in having a big season. Though I wouldn't consider Laine winning a Rocket as a "breakout" season.

Jesse Pujlujarvi
Sam Bennett
Derrick Pouliot
I think Poolparty is still too early to call a bust. Big forwards typically take a bit longer to find their game. Stick him on a line that has actual talent, like with McDavid, he will light it up.

Reactions: pmwlker

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Jesse Pujlujarvi
Sam Bennett
Derrick Pouliot

you're right. kinda embarrassing...

giphy.gif

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Bennett can climb back and put up at least 40 points I'll be happy. Then move on from there to breaking out to become the 60-80 point player he could become.

He has the skill, drive, grit, and character to be a superstar, in the playoffs in his time here he has usually been our best player, he is usually our best player for stretches of previous seasons (like for an entire month and a bit last year). I feel that so many of his problems are just in his head and confidence plays too big of a role in his game. I think with a good coach and good linemates (which is very rare for Bennett) he can break out.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think Poolparty is still too early to call a bust. Big forwards typically take a bit longer to find their game. Stick him on a line that has actual talent, like with McDavid, he will light it up.
Saying "stick him with the best offensive player in the league and he'll light it up" isn't exactly a testament to his talent. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad