Who is on the verge of busting if they have a bad season in 2018/19?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ivan Provorov is a good one IMO. He's shown no visible signs of improvement since being drafted and got exposed very badly against Pittsburgh. I think Philly might explore trade options with him if he doesn't show anything next season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
that's not what a bust is.

also a player who gets 20 es points in 4th line minutes probably isn't a 4th liner. no **** it's disappointing but it's not like he flamed out completely.

also just happened to post this in another thread

1. I don' know how many times it has to be shown that p/60 is one of the most ridiculous stats out there. I believe one season Athanasiou was like top 3 in the league for p/60 yet is nothing more than a 30-40pt player. Conor Sheath was also way up there as well.

Also Yes, a 6th overall pick who hasn't been able to put up even 30 points is definitely a bust.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Alex Nylander

Yeah he definitely needs to put something together next year. Been disappointing thus far.

If he doesn’t put something together next year or at least show that he’s moving in the right direction (amazing AHL season with some NHL call ups) then it certainly won’t be looking good.

Reactions: nickdawg95

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Ivan Provorov is a good one IMO. He's shown no visible signs of improvement since being drafted and got exposed very badly against Pittsburgh. I think Philly might explore trade options with him if he doesn't show anything next season.
Unless you think he was a legit top pairing dman when he was drafted, he's improved

Reactions: pmwlker

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Price isn't allowed to have a bad season. I think he'll bounce back hard though.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
that's not what a bust is.

also a player who gets 20 es points in 4th line minutes probably isn't a 4th liner. no **** it's disappointing but it's not like he flamed out completely.

also just happened to post this in another thread

that p60 stat doesn't take into consideration how hard it is to consistently produce with increased ice time, increased mental pressure, increased lactic acid etc.

This isn't NHL 18 where you can effortlessly play endless minutes night in night out 82+ times per year without feeling any type of physical and mental fatigue.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

I sincerely hope this is a joke. Provorov is a legit #1 defenseman at the age of 20/21. If he doesn't improve at all from his sophmore season he will still be a successful pick. Even if, for whatever reason he regresses and becomes a 2nd pairing defenseman, that's still not close to a bust.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Saying "stick him with the best offensive player in the league and he'll light it up" isn't exactly a testament to his talent. lol
The only player McDavid has made better was Maroon. It's not as easy as just putting someone next to him.

I feel like Honka needs to make it big next season or he's in trouble.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
you're right. kinda embarrassing...

giphy.gif

Don't worry, calling him a sure fire Rocket Richard winner wasn't much better

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The only player McDavid has made better was Maroon. It's not as easy as just putting someone next to him.

I feel like Honka needs to make it big next season or he's in trouble.
Trust me, I've watched talented winger after talented winger try and fail to play alongside Crosby. I know it's not easy.

I just meant to say that saying "put him next to the best offensive player in the world and he'll produce" doesn't exactly say much for Poolparty

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
E. Svechnikov. Looked decent on the later half of his callup last year, but his AHL stats were putrid.

I still think he's an NHL player, but if he struggles to put up 25-30 points this year, I will resign all hope of him becoming a second liner.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Uhhhhh.....this a joke? Provorov is trending towards being an elite #1. If he got exposed against Pittsburgh it's probably because they have the best player in the world who can expose ANY d-man in the league.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
1. I don' know how many times it has to be shown that p/60 is one of the most ridiculous stats out there. I believe one season Athanasiou was like top 3 in the league for p/60 yet is nothing more than a 30-40pt player. Conor Sheath was also way up there as well.

Also Yes, a 6th overall pick who hasn't been able to put up even 30 points is definitely a bust.

that p60 stat doesn't take into consideration how hard it is to consistently produce with increased ice time, increased mental pressure, increased lactic acid etc.

This isn't NHL 18 where you can effortlessly play endless minutes night in night out 82+ times per year without feeling any type of physical and mental fatigue.

Well yeah, obviously it's not the ultimate determiner of talent but if a player has been given pretty lackluster minutes without overpowered linemates and still has produced well relative to his icetime there's definitely room for growth and he does deserve more opportunities. Sheary is also a really good player playing with the best player in the world it shouldn't be that surprising that he's high up there.

And a consistent bottom 6 contributer (probably a 3rd liner) should not be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Nail Yakupov and Kyle Beach -- those are true busts. Virtanen is a disappointment but if he continues this trajectory he's not gonna be a complete flop of a pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad