Who is on the verge of busting if they have a bad season in 2018/19?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Doesn't matter. There is outrage if I say Leafs fans said/say Matthews is generational, Gardiner is a top 2 D man, or that Leafs fans said you guys would walk all over the Bruins.
I'm not surprised that you can't see the difference between saying "some fans" and "a majority of fans", but I'm not going to waste my time with it

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'm not surprised that you can't see the difference between saying "some fans" and "a majority of fans", but I'm not going to waste my time with it
He literally said "Oilers fans", not "some fans"

Solid reading comprehension though. Also enjoy pointing out the hypocrisy.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Doesn't matter. There is outrage if I say Leafs fans said/say Matthews is generational, Gardiner is a top 2 D man, or that Leafs fans said you guys would walk all over the Bruins.
The fact there was a thread created about one preseason game involving Puljujarvi was laughable at best, because no one takes those games seriously.

In the most recent preseason Auston Matthews scored a hat trick and no one posted about a new topic about it like we see in the regular season when that happens.

Reactions: Voight

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The fact there was a thread created about one preseason game involving Puljujarvi was laughable at best, because no one takes those games seriously.

In the most recent preseason Auston Matthews scored a hat trick and no one posted about a new topic about it like we see in the regular season when that happens.
You're right, he was crowned generational after his first NHL game though.

Takes one guy to make a thread.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Lots of people mixing up an outright bust versus a disappointment (based on draft position, rookie season, whatever).

From 2014 Dal Colle is the epitome of this thread. Virtanen, Fleury, Bennett are all serious disappointments but not busts. After this season DeAngelo and possibly McCann, Scherbak, Goldobin & Milano are safe to call busts. Sanheim, Quenneville, Perlini probably lead this thread next offseason if they dont show anything.

If you're a top6 or bust type of fwd this is likely your last season unless youre buried on a depth chart a la Kapanen

From 2015 draft only guys i see are Svechnikov & Guryanov. Crouse & Zacha probably get 2-3 more seasons to figure it out and/or carve out a bottom 6 career based on their physical attributes.

Zboril, Shenyshyn & Gabriel Carlsson i dont know enough about but likely get more than one more season as theyre all defensemen.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
If Elias Lindholm puts up 40 points for Brindamour I would at least label him a disappointment. 55 points is a reasonable expectation.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So a player is on the "verge" of busting if he doesn't do well in his 2nd pro season after a good but not great rookie season? My god, this place sometimes....

You think that's bad? Just wait until the Wings draft a #1 or #2 overall guy with hype. The expectations are huge, and people love to rub it in when they aren't Lemeiux by year 2.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You do realize he’s 20 right? He literally turned 20 barely over a month ago, and your saying bust in 1 more year? Haha holy man this board sometimes. Jesse had a great start when he came up, looked dominant in some games, and like the rest of the team was quiet for the end of the year. I’d give him another few years, had he played a full season he probably would have had 15 goals, not bad for a 19 year old. I don’t think a 20-20 season is stretch for next year

Sure and he's already played 93 games, showing no signs that he's going to be worth the hype. Say he stays in the NHL next season, he'd be at almost 200 GP. Thats a fairly good sample size.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You think that's bad? Just wait until the Wings draft a #1 or #2 overall guy with hype. The expectations are huge, and people love to rub it in when they aren't Lemeiux by year 2.

Yet here you are... calling him on the verge of busting.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people mixing up an outright bust versus a disappointment (based on draft position, rookie season, whatever).

From 2014 Dal Colle is the epitome of this thread. Virtanen, Fleury, Bennett are all serious disappointments but not busts. After this season DeAngelo and possibly McCann, Scherbak, Goldobin & Milano are safe to call busts. Sanheim, Quenneville, Perlini probably lead this thread next offseason if they dont show anything.

If you're a top6 or bust type of fwd this is likely your last season unless youre buried on a depth chart a la Kapanen

From 2015 draft only guys i see are Svechnikov & Guryanov. Crouse & Zacha probably get 2-3 more seasons to figure it out and/or carve out a bottom 6 career based on their physical attributes.

Zboril, Shenyshyn & Gabriel Carlsson i dont know enough about but likely get more than one more season as theyre all defensemen.
I thought Perlini had a pretty solid year. Scored 18 goals I think on a terrible Arizona team

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
To me if Sam Bennett doesn't put it together next season, it's safe to call him a bust. Not in the sense that he's an awful player, just that he won't ever be that top 2C they thought he'd be.

I mean, I get relative to expectations and all that, but this is a 22 year old player with 241 NHL GP. That's with losing an entire year of development due to a shoulder injury. So I'm not sure where the constant bust labeling comes from. But yes this is an important year for him.

Juolevi, Zacha, and McCarron need to show some marked improvement. Dal Colle is already there. I know Alex Nylander and Puljujarvi are only 20 but if Nylander can't crack a last place Buffalo squad then.. I dunno man. Probably running out of rope are Rychel and Gauthier too. Likely the last kick at the proverbial can for Nail Yakupov, wherever it is he ends up and assuming that's in the NHL.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Jesse Pulijaarvi is on this cusp. To me guys like Dal Cole are already busts.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Ivan Provorov is a good one IMO. He's shown no visible signs of improvement since being drafted and got exposed very badly against Pittsburgh. I think Philly might explore trade options with him if he doesn't show anything next season.
Jesus, what am I reading here. You're clearly watching a totally different Provorov than everybody else is. What you posted is 100% false. LOL my god.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Tony Deangelo
Dylan Strome
Anthony Duclair
Jake Virtanen
Denis Gurianov
Michael Dal Cole
Sonny Milano

I can't speak to all of these, but I disagree with Milano.

He was drafted as a project player with high upside, and his rookie season (just this past season) he scored 14 goals in 55 games and dealt with some injuries. A bit of a sophomore slump wouldn't necessarily mean he's a bust. He's only 22 and has only played 55 games. He's shown definite growing pains as far as consistency goes, but that's not unusual for a rookie either.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Depends on your definition of "busting out". Laine has already had two great seasons under his belt, but his coming season he wins the Richard Trophy.
Yup Laine is awesome top 2 or 3 player from his draft for sure. I hope he is in the conversation for the rocket next year!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Bennett, Virtanen, Gurianov, Nichuskin, etc

also Elias Lindholm needs a good season to not be labelled a dissappointment. this will be his 6th NHL season
and he has yet to best 45 points. what make it worse is not only have the 3 C picked directly after him been more productive (Monahan,Horvat,Wennberg), but Lindholm hasnt even shown that he is a capable C yet and looks more comfortable on the wing

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If Bennett can climb back and put up at least 40 points I'll be happy. Then move on from there to breaking out to become the 60-80 point player he could become.

He has the skill, drive, grit, and character to be a superstar, in the playoffs in his time here he has usually been our best player, he is usually our best player for stretches of previous seasons (like for an entire month and a bit last year). I feel that so many of his problems are just in his head and confidence plays too big of a role in his game. I think with a good coach and good linemates (which is very rare for Bennett) he can break out.

60-80?

I think that ship has sailed. don't see him being more than a 40-50pt guy at best at this point. Nothing wrong with that, but you expect more out of a top 5 pick, especially with guys picked later (Nylander/Ehlers/Larkin) already 60+pt guys

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Will probably stay in the NHL but won't live up to the 6th overall hype. Bottom 6 player.
Ehhhhhh I don't even know about that. Think he either becomes a top 6 guy or he's out within a few years. Takes lazy penalties and is incredibly inconsistent. Also throws roughly 1 hit per season despite his frame. Don't see him being useful long-term in any type of bottom 6 role in the NHL.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
If Bennett can climb back and put up at least 40 points I'll be happy. Then move on from there to breaking out to become the 60-80 point player he could become.

He has the skill, drive, grit, and character to be a superstar, in the playoffs in his time here he has usually been our best player, he is usually our best player for stretches of previous seasons (like for an entire month and a bit last year). I feel that so many of his problems are just in his head and confidence plays too big of a role in his game. I think with a good coach and good linemates (which is very rare for Bennett) he can break out.
sounds a lot like colin wilsons early days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad