Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #8 prospect?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Can't wait to see our future team!

Shinkaruk - Fox? - Jensen
Virtanen - Horvat - Kassian
Guance - McCann - Bonino
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

I really hope Fox explodes into the NHL.

Yeah, it would be pretty awesome for the Canucks to suddenly have one of the best scouting/development systems in the league and somehow have almost every decent prospect pan out....... :P

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Why? Because LA drafted him and not us?

I can see the argument being is that he either makes the NHL or we will send him down and loose him on waivers. Since we just traded a 2nd for him he is basically being force fed a job by the big club.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Where's Fox?
I would probably put Fox in 5th on that list. But 6th isn't crazy, either.
Few prospects who are undrafted two years in a row, go on to productive careers.
I'm hoping Fox is an outlier, too, but people are overestimating one big year as a 20 year old playing against teenagers.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Where's Fox?

6th for me. I know he as supposed to be a 3rd/4th rounder if he didn't have some "other stuff" come up, but I think his realistic top upside is a gritty, offensive 3rd line winger. Hutton has 2nd pairing PMD upside. Cassels and Vey have 3rd line center upside IMO.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
6th for me. I know he as supposed to be a 3rd/4th rounder if he didn't have some "other stuff" come up, but I think his realistic top upside is a gritty, offensive 3rd line winger. Hutton has 2nd pairing PMD upside. Cassels and Vey have 3rd line center upside IMO.

Why not Burrows upside? Better shot even. Could see him playing wing on the top line (no way would he ever center it though).

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Why not Burrows upside? Better shot even. Could see him playing wing on the top line (no way would he ever center it though).

Don't think he's as good definitely, plus Burrows has very good hockey sense, not many prospects as smart as him.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Don't think he's as good definitely, plus Burrows has very good hockey sense, not many prospects as smart as him.

Fair enough. Not saying it's likely, but I could see it happening. Really I was trying to hit home that even "third liner" types get chances to play with better players somewhere along the line.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Hutton has 2nd pairing PMD upside.

i really don't agree with this. his goal scoring this season is certainly a bit of an outlier, but a guy who is that important to his team as a sophomore very clearly has a crazy high potential

dude might stop learning hockey tomorrow but theres no reason to think sky isnt the limit with him. this isnt like corrado or tanev who are good defencemen with scoring second, huttons just a Good Defenceman. as with all prospects who can skate and pass, "his defence needs work" is as much a platitude as it is an actual criticism

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
i really don't agree with this. his goal scoring this season is certainly a bit of an outlier, but a guy who is that important to his team as a sophomore very clearly has a crazy high potential

dude might stop learning hockey tomorrow but theres no reason to think sky isnt the limit with him. this isnt like corrado or tanev who are good defencemen with scoring second, huttons just a Good Defenceman. as with all prospects who can skate and pass, "his defence needs work" is as much a platitude as it is an actual criticism

I agree. Hutton is a player you simply cannot try to project. You can't project him to be a 1st pairing stud any more than a 2nd or 3rd pair guy, a spare, or a flop.

This guy is a total wildcard - a perfect late draft pick.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
reasonable result but,

1. Trymakin could be a stud D man (top 10 D man in the league) ... but may never play a game ... perhaps the highest potential that we have ...

2. Kenins - Surprised that after the Olympics that he has not got more love - he looked great against Canada ... not going to be a superstar but looked ready for Hansen like duties... (not highest end, but looks like he can't miss at the next level IMNSVHO)

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
not voting for a guy that consensus accepted into the poll because you dont think he is a prospect is needlessly stubborn and just ****s up the process to no gain. he's not going to be taken out

Yes agreed. The people that want vey out didn't win the argument in round 2 and they've been fighting it since.

I think we need a mulligan on Jensen.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
8. Vey
9. Demko
10. Fox
11. Tryamkin
12. Cassels
13. Hutton
14. Forsling
15. Subban
16. Eriksson
17. Mceneny
18. Archibald
19. Kenins
20. Zalewski

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
I think the opening posts of these types of polls/threads should make it clear what is being debated.
I always vote based on current value (i.e. what the prospect has shown and what we anticipate his future performance to be). Current trade value, if you prefer.
But anyone putting Vey above Demko must be voting based on current PERFORMANCE, as in, who will help the Canucks the most THIS SEASON.
It's far from impossible for a guy picked 96th overall to have a better career than a guy picked 36th overall...but it isn't terribly likely.

The other point that needs defined in the OP is what is a prospect? I don't think I am alone in thinking that a forward who has played enough pro seasons to be waiver eligible should be excluded from these polls.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
based on what

bonus points for not mentioning chara

Well perhaps that the videos of him showed that he is surprisingly agile and has good skating ability while playing at a much higher level than juniors... etc ...

the fact that he mentioned Chara is a terrible thing????

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Well perhaps that the videos of him showed that he is surprisingly agile and has good skating ability while playing at a much higher level than juniors... etc ...

the fact that he mentioned Chara is a terrible thing????

yes, because its lazy. he tall = hes chara!!!!

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Vey
Hutton
Fox
Demko
McEneny

Are my top 5 at the moment right now.

Still not sure how Jensen is rated higher than Vey. I feel like this board is going to have a Schroeder-like attachment to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad