Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #8 prospect?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Spot on, no one knows who Vey is so he drops to #8. He'll probably be our most productive prospect in the NHL for the next few years at least.

He's also 23 (happy birthday Linden) and was moved out of LA because of the risk of waivers which meant LA was scared he couldn't beat out some bottom 6 or 13/14th forwards (at $700K he's not pricing himself out of LA). A late second is hardly a blow your mind offer.

I picked him earlier in this list but 8th is as fair a spot for him as any.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Exactly. Been voting Vey for a while.

His AHL track record is excellent. Clearly closest to the NHL of our prospects. And his production across all levels is encouraging, showing a lot of upside as well.

People basically just voted for our 1st rounders because they're recognizable.

Depends on potential vs immediate impact I guess, but I agree with everything you said. Been voting Vey for awhile now.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Wasn't Vey #2 on the Kings board next to Toffoli? Think he should be up there on ours, everyone says our pool is crap so shouldn't he be? lol

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Canucks prospect pool looking great , they should all be given the complete time to develop in the chl and ahl rather then calling them up and rushing them . Most canucks prospects took steps forward last season in junior hockey , and I'm hoping they take another big one this year. I'm hoping Horvat goes back to London and tears it up and really rounds out his offensive game here are my point expecations for the prospects going back to the CHL .

Bo Horvat : 36 goals 52 assists 88 points
Cole Cassels : 30 goals 52 assists 82 points
Jake Virtanen : 47 goals 32 assists 79 points
Jared Mccann : 32 goals 41 assists 73 points
Jordan Subban : 15 goals 40 assists 55 points
:yo::yo::yo:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I went with Demko, as well. he is obviously a long way away from the show, but I get a feeling he will cause anoter goaltending controversy in 5 -6 years:handclap:

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I think the opening posts of these types of polls/threads should make it clear what is being debated.
I always vote based on current value (i.e. what the prospect has shown and what we anticipate his future performance to be). Current trade value, if you prefer.
But anyone putting Vey above Demko must be voting based on current PERFORMANCE, as in, who will help the Canucks the most THIS SEASON.
It's far from impossible for a guy picked 96th overall to have a better career than a guy picked 36th overall...but it isn't terribly likely.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
^Uh, yeah it is, when the guy picked 36th is a goalie. The rate of success on goaltenders picked in the top 2 rounds is basically as big a crap shoot as third liners. Once you factor in Vey's success at the AHL level, a lot of draft position doubts have already been erased. There's just one more step.
Only on this board could a prospect who flounders in the AHL for more than half the season and play well with two of the best players in the NHL for 5 games could be voted higher than a player who has been near PPG for majority of his AHL career.

Vey for me.

Basically.

Anyway, they can close the thread now, he's going to win, probably 3 spots too late.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Why should Horvat, Virtanen, Shinkaruk and McCann have significantly better careers than Vey? You're just blowing smoke! I have to question if you know what you are talking about.

Uh... what? I never said they would definitely have better careers, I said I expect them to. Vey could explode as a #1 center next year and make me eat my words, but I think it's more likely he toils as a middle-6 center/winger for most of his career. I don't see a huge offensive ceiling with him (if he gets 50p in a full season, it would be a dream) and question his defensive and faceoff abilities. He's certainly not a bad prospect, but I don't think he'll ever be anything special.

I think Horvat and McCann will have better careers than Vey because they are more skilled offensively and more committed defensively. Additionally, Horvat is built like a freaking house and impossible to knock off the puck.

I think Shinkaruk and Virtanen have offensive upsides which exceed Vey's. I am really, really high on Shinkaruk. He's more of a boom-or-bust prospect, but I truly think he has top line potential in his future. For Virtanen I'm less high on him, but I do love his combination of size and speed and think he'll have a better career than Vey for that reason.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
I think Horvat and McCann will have better careers than Vey because they are more skilled offensively and more committed defensively.
McCann has a lot of upside potential offensively, but I don't think Horvat's offensive prowess has been demonstrably equal to Vey's. Maybe he'll end up going in and tearing up the AHL when he gets there like Vey has, but I tend to doubt it.

I think Shinkaruk and Virtanen have offensive upsides which exceed Vey's.
This is accurate, but both have higher risk attached to them, particularly Virtanen.

In any event, I don't really have a big problem with putting those four guys ahead of Vey. I would put him ahead of Jensen, though, along with everyone else voted for since.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
All forwards, no D but Corrado....Oh YEAH! (Kool-aid man)

My comment had nothing to do with distribution, just the fact that we have more than one legit prospect at once. We lack right wing depth and I would have kept both the second and third round picks we traded as well (especially the second) and drafted Dmen. But it says something we you take the highest ranked goalie and he doesn't make you top 7

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
McCann has a lot of upside potential offensively, but I don't think Horvat's offensive prowess has been demonstrably equal to Vey's. Maybe he'll end up going in and tearing up the AHL when he gets there like Vey has, but I tend to doubt it.

Horvat's draft + 1 season was better than Vey's. He's also bigger and plays a style almost perfectly suited to today's NHL. It's more a matter of whether Horvat continues to track upwards offensively (as Vey did).

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Jordan Subban should be in the Top 10. He's going to tear it up this year once he's moved to a legitimate club.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Only on this board could a prospect who flounders in the AHL for more than half the season and play well with two of the best players in the NHL for 5 games could be voted higher than a player who has been near PPG for majority of his AHL career.

Vey for me.

Feel the same way.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Vey is a bottom 6 player, I would rather go with Ben Hutton a guy with a good top 4 potential.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Why not? He's only played 18 NHL games.

He has graduated. He can't play in a developmental league without being waived. He's played 4 pro seasons. He's in the same spot dalpe was when he was acquired and I didn't consider dalpe a prospect either. Whether vey is ready or not, he will be playing in he nhl or sitting in the press box

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He has graduated. He can't play in a developmental league without being waived. He's played 4 pro seasons. He's in the same spot dalpe was when he was acquired and I didn't consider dalpe a prospect either. Whether vey is ready or not, he will be playing in he nhl or sitting in the press box

He's played three pro seasons.

He's just turned 23 with 18 NHL games. He's pretty clearly a prospect. By the terms of this site or by simple common sense.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
not voting for a guy that consensus accepted into the poll because you dont think he is a prospect is needlessly stubborn and just ****s up the process to no gain. he's not going to be taken out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad