Who here loved the Winnipeg Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Bicycle Repairman said:
How's that covered football stadium in Winnipeg coming along? The one with the big water park?

It looks like a go. It will be located on the western outskirts of the city, on the Red River Exhibition grounds. It's already been dubbed the "Toilet Bowl". Check it out:

board26vw.jpg

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
Quebec acutally supported their team the way that counts: By going to games. They were over the league average attendance almost every year of their existence.
Times have changed, there's a larger demographic of hockey fans in Winnipeg, especially the children of the baby boomers that can now actually afford to go to games. The fans that actually showed up were renowned for their energy and understanding of the game... so why the low attendance? Because the rink was a piece of trash. The upper decks were not worth sitting in. When people had to pay $40-$50-$60 a head to sit on cramped hard wood seats with an obstructed view of the action, it isn't hard to figure out why fans didn't buy what the Jets were selling.

[/QUOTE]They were brought down by a complete idiot named MArcel Aubut. They also had to deal with the taxes in the province of Quebec that made them unable to continue. Quebec never deserved to lose their team. [/QUOTE]

Jets were also brought down by a complete idiot...or three. They also struggled with taxes. Winnipeg never deserved to lose their team.

Sorry MacDaddy... BUT you still haven't dazzled anyone with your supposed FACTS that will ultimatly determine the fate of the NHL in Winnipeg.

Plz, think harder, waste more time... and when you get shut down for the 100th time just change your screen name again. Not a big deal.

MacDaddy TLC*

Barry Shankerow went above and beyond to save the franchise. If people had gone to the games, maybe he could have justified a new arena being built.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Barry Shankerow went above and beyond to save the franchise. If people had gone to the games, maybe he could have justified a new arena being built.

lol, barry shenkarow = winnipeg's hero !!!

now that's funny.

MacDaddy TLC*

mazmin said:
Sorry MacDaddy... BUT you still haven't dazzled anyone with your supposed FACTS that will ultimatly determine the fate of the NHL in Winnipeg.

Plz, think harder, waste more time... and when you get shut down for the 100th time just change your screen name again. Not a big deal.
Wow, another personal attack when faced with some cold hard numbers and NO response to defend your position. I'm sorry you are unable to see the reality of Winnipeg: AMerican Hockey League city, not an NHL city.

And the name change was by popular demand from my many supporters among the Hockey's Future Community who wanted to see me return to my original handle. :D

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

that's the biggest load of complete and utter BULLS*** I've ever heard in my life. He's the reason why the team left in the first place. He told the citizens of Winnipeg that if they raised X amount of money the team would stay, but in fact he had already sold the team.

Also, the MTS Centre is big enough seat wise to house an NHL team. Hesigner made sure during the planning stages of the arena that it would be big enough.

I'm a Canucks fan, but the Jets ruled when they weren't playing the Canucks. They had more heart and determination then any other team combined. Don't tell people that are FROM Winnipeg that we don't support hockey. Would you go pay $70 a ticket for crappy seats in an arena that was falling apart?

Stop insulting the city that many of us live in. You know absolutely nothing about how this city is.

This city is on the uprise, and with the right kind of CBA this city will see the Jets back. Regardless what an uneducated prune like you thinks.

MacDaddy TLC*

Blame the MEC, not Shankerow for the deal to save the team going sour.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Bicycle Repairman said:
The Jets in the NHL were an utter disgrace.

:shakehead

you try having a good team when the NHL took away every single one of the players that won Avco cups in the WHA and then never being able to recover

MacDaddy TLC*

MooseHunter said:
shakeshead.gif

you try having a good team when the NHL took away every single one of the players that won Avco cups in the WHA and then never being able to recover
WHO did the NHL take away?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
WHO did the NHL take away?

The WHA teams were allowed to keep 2 or 3 players, and the rest were dispersed to the other NHL clubs. The Jets choose Peter Sullivan (not one of the better choices they made), and the Oilers choose Wayne Gretzky.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
There are entirely too many people taking personal shots in this thread on all sides, and it needs to stop now. This is tremendously off-topic already, but give it one more try to have a constructive conversation.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I have seen nothing to tell me that the 'Peg doesn't have passionnate hockey fans. Probably somewhta like Ottawa in terms of fan base. What percentage of an average NHL crowd is made up of hockey fans digging into their pockets to go to a game ? Expense acct. and corporate seats fills the arena. Now if this somehow gives someone pleasure in downgrading Winnipeg because though they have loyal fans, they may lack big industry, well what the hell is there to say. I'm not taking a shot at MacDaddy, he's got his problems with the city and they've been discussed.
Personally, I get more pleasure out of seeing hockey in a city that cares. A city that's talk radio is full of people arguing about which goalie should be in there or whether the top scorer in the AHL should be brought up. You get this in Winnipeg and Quebec and a few other cities. I suspect you don't get this in TB, Anaheim to name a few. This isn't a shot at TB fans because they are as loyal and rabid as I am about my team. It isn't the fan's fault that the team they are passionnate about isn't the big story in town. Just like it isn't the fault of the average Winnipegger that the city isn't filled with companies willing to drop their entertainment budget on what the NHL is selling as entertainment these days.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
I'm just going to throw my two cents out there. I'd be 100% in favor of brining hockey back to Winnipeg. Crime has nothing to do with having a team in a city, look at NYC, Detroit, Los Angeles. Point proven. Secondly, the team folded because the talent wasn't there. They had decent seasons, but no great ones, not the city's fault at all. Thirdly, the arena was a bit too small. That can be fixed no problem, expansion, new building, or many other way's.

The only problem I see is that the city may not have enough people to support a franchise. Only about 500,000 live around Winnipeg, or close to that number, but compared to all of the other NHL cities, they are probably the smallest.

Toronto: 4 million
Detroit: 4 million
NYC: 16 million
Boston: 6-7 million
Chicago: 8 million
Montreal: 2 million

Compared to the Original Six hockey cities, they are ridiculously small. Then take into account the southern cities (Pheonix, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Atlanta) it just got washed away.

If Winniped were a city over 1 million, I'd say put it there in an instant. But even with 500,000 people, they can still have a franchise IMO.

Wetcoaster

Simple fact of life. Winnipeg does not fit the market or demographics the NHL looks for. Winnipeg does not have the corporate base nor even the base population. The NHL markets to corporate ticket holders and boasts the highest per-capita income of bums in the seats of any pro sports league in North America. That is what sells advertsing and sponsorship dollars in the local market and when Bettman was peddling franchises for expansion that was front and centre his biggest selling point. The average fan is not high on Bettman's list of priorities. The beauty of the corporate fan for the NHL is that they are much less sensitive to high ticket prices.

As the Canadian Taxpayers federation noted in its 2004 budget submissisions to the government:

There is little question that Manitoba’s economy has been underperforming for many years. Though not the worst economy in the country, Manitoba ranks 8th among the provinces, when measuring average economic growth between 1993 and projected 2005. In that same time frame, the national average for Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth was 5.21 per cent, while Manitoba showed a meager 4.48 per cent annual growth rate.

NHL return to Winnnipeg? - "Not in the foreseable future" was how Bettman put it. Allow me translate Bettman-speak which is a dialect of lawyerese with which I am intimately familar. The translation - "Not a snowball's chance in h_e_ll".

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
Me

I was one of the Jets biggest fans. I grew up near Melville and would listen to every game on CJOB and whoever broadcast them before that. At night they weould turn down the power and I would only be able to hear about every 20th word yet I would still listen. I would listen to pre-season, etc. I did not get a chance to read the rest of the posts yet. I will. It would be nice to talk to some knowledgeable Jet fans. To tell you the truth it still hurts a bit to talk about them.

KrazyCanuck19

Sep 25, 2003
2010 Host City
First off there is nobody in Winnipeg capable of making the kind of financial commitement that is required to run an NHL franchise. Winnipeg couldn't support the team when ticket prices were half of what they are today...There's not a chance in hell a team would survive under the current environment.

The building, however nice it may be, is not big enough to be an NHL arena.

Winnipeggers should embrace the Moose. It's a good product, 2nd best league in the world. The NHL is a pipe dream for Winnipeg.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
KrazyCanuck19 said:
First off there is nobody in Winnipeg capable of making the kind of financial commitement that is required to run an NHL franchise. Winnipeg couldn't support the team when ticket prices were half of what they are today...There's not a chance in hell a team would survive under the current environment.

The building, however nice it may be, is not big enough to be an NHL arena.

Winnipeggers should embrace the Moose. It's a good product, 2nd best league in the world. The NHL is a pipe dream for Winnipeg.

to counter your first point, there are several individuals/families in winnipeg who have the means to purchase and operate an NHL franchise...

...from Canadian Business' Richest 100 Canadians (http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lif...nid=JNJLLAEKKCND?content=20041206_63986_63986)

24. RIchardson family: $1.25 billion
31. Asper family: $1.09 billion
62. Peter Nygård: $552 million
92. Randall Moffat: $358 million

not to mention the Defehr family that was listed in '03 at $ 384 million (http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rich100/list.asp?page=5&sortBy=ID)

there are several reasons why the Jets struggled financially, but they had nothing to do with fan support. please expand on your statements so that i can address your views point by point.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad