Who here loved the Winnipeg Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Jets4Life said:
I shouldn't even bother answering this. I had said that Winnipeg is leading Minor League hockey in attendance THIS YEAR. The forum member in question accused me of inflating these figures, and provided a link to LAST YEARS attendance figures.
Actually you said that the Moose have drawn very well for the last 8 years.

Either way, I wasn't put on this earth to crush your dreams of an NHL team coming back to Winterpeg. For your sake, I wish you good luck...

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
slats432 said:
Actually you said that the Moose have drawn very well for the last 8 years.

Either way, I wasn't put on this earth to crush your dreams of an NHL team coming back to Winterpeg. For your sake, I wish you good luck...

Thanks. I hope we do get a team, as well as Quebec will get back it's team. It's just a shame that NHL hockey has been taken from cities where it is loved, and moved to places where hockey is a novelty at best, it seems.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
My job is to support people with disabilities and build them up, not tear them a new one. Jets4Life has just become a favourite whipping boy due to his *ahem* character. Actually, I don't really have anything against Winnipeg, just the criminals that are overrunning the city. Hell, I would love to take my kids to the Assiniboine zoo, but it is the un caged animals that keep me away. I have a great Grandmother living there who hasn't seen two of my children because I cannot put my family at risk by bringing them there.

Criminals overrunning the city? Under that logic, I guess we should move the Detroit Red Wings to Salt Lake City, utah. Detroit has had one of the highest crime rates for years. I don't see how that is relevant to the thread....

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Jets4Life said:
Additionally, it was the FANS that bought over 90% of tickets to games. Not like today, when corporations buy up 1/2 the seats (most of the premium/club seats), especially in the Southern US. That's why attendance is announced at 15,600, etc, when it appears an 18,000 seat building is less than 1/2 full to many observers.

Do you have a source where these statistics are posted or are you just making stuff up like you did about Tampa earlier?

Backin72

Jul 9, 2004
Winnipeg
I loved the Jets as much as the next Winnipegger, but chances are mighty slim. I used to work on the broadcasts, for local TV and export, and there was no better gig in town.
smiles.gif

Last edited:

MacDaddy TLC*

If your posts hadn't been deleted, everyone would see it was you with a personal attack that took this thread off topic.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If your posts hadn't been deleted, everyone would see it was you with a personal attack that took this thread off topic.

whatever...

I won't be baited by you. All I can say is Winnipeg is one of the greatest cities in Canada. We have a state of the art arena, and a passionate hockey fan base. We will be ready when the NHL comes knocking. Go Jets!! :yo:

MacDaddy TLC*

Winnipeg is a pipe dream. If they were serious about an NHL team, they would have built an NHL size arena. Unfortunately for the few day dream believers in Manitoba, their hearts are going to be frequently broken. They are going to be the NHL's *****es until the shine is off their arena. Teams will use them as leverage to get their own new arena, much like the Devils did. If it ever came down to actually moving though, Winnipeg will never get serious consideration as long as Houston, Seattle, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Quebec City don't have a team. Time to get out and support the Moose before you lose them too. Maybe try to get a WHL franchise as well.

BTW, I found something I like about Winnipeg: Clodhoppers! Delicious. I can't believe two guys that began working in a basement in Winnipeg have created such a powerful little company.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
nice to see that for the third time in four team canada telecasts, the tsn commentators have said the nhl should be in winnipeg.

MacDaddy TLC*

....and Pierre McGuire comments (and that is who is saying Winnipeg should again have a team) are usually diregarded around here as being the ramblings of an idiot. Not that I agree with those who don't like McGuire. Personally I like him, but would have to agree to disagree with him on this point. ;)

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
....and Pierre McGuire comments (and that is who is saying Winnipeg should again have a team) are usually diregarded around here as being the ramblings of an idiot. Not that I agree with those who don't like McGuire. Personally I like him, but would have to agree to disagree with him on this point. ;)

actually i beg differ. it seems clear to me as to where the ramblings of an idiot are coming from around here.

MacDaddy TLC*

Don't be so hard on yourself, Hawker. I'm sure if you ask someone to help, you can get the grammar on that last post cleaned up.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Winnipeg is a pipe dream. If they were serious about an NHL team, they would have built an NHL size arena. Unfortunately for the few day dream believers in Manitoba, their hearts are going to be frequently broken. They are going to be the NHL's *****es until the shine is off their arena. Teams will use them as leverage to get their own new arena, much like the Devils did. If it ever came down to actually moving though, Winnipeg will never get serious consideration as long as Houston, Seattle, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Quebec City don't have a team. Time to get out and support the Moose before you lose them too.

Seattle will never get a team since they don't have an arena. There is no interest in Vegas. The odds of the NHL coming to KC are pretty slim. The NHL just put a team in Ohio, so I doubt Cleveland would be a top destination. Houston is the only American city that deserves an NHL team, as they have been shafted time and time again.

I, for one, would love to see a team in Quebec City, but they really need a new arena. The Copps Coliseum in Hamilton would require extensive renovations to foot an NHL team there. Winnipeg's economy is in the best shape it has been in 25 years. In the mid 90's, Winnipeg was in decline. Times have changed, and just like Minnesota, we will one day see an NHL team faceoff at the MTS Centre, despite the mayor of MacAppolis' objections! :joker:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Houston, Seattle, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Quebec City don't have a team. Time to get out and support the Moose before you lose them too. Maybe try to get a WHL franchise as well.

Hmmm... so Quebec city should get a team before Winnipeg. Winnipeg and Quebec city are almost identical in size and Winnipeg has a brand new arena.

You're making a far better argument for the fact you're simply a hater over the fact that Winnipeg has no chance at the NHL.

Time for a new hobby, you're arguments are rinsed out.

MacDaddy TLC*

Quebec acutally supported their team the way that counts: By going to games. They were over the league average attendance almost every year of their existence. They were brought down by a complete idiot named MArcel Aubut. They also had to deal with the taxes in the province of Quebec that made them unable to continue. Quebec never deserved to lose their team.

MacDaddy TLC*

The MTS has a capacity of 15 000 and change. All but 22 or 23 teams draw in excess of 15000. What business man in their right mind would take on a franchise in a building that doesn't allow for him to even get to the average attendance, even if he could find 15 000 willing to pay NHL prices in Winnipeg?

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
The MTS has a capacity of 15 000 and change. All but 22 or 23 teams draw in excess of 15000. What business man in their right mind would take on a franchise in a building that doesn't allow for him to even get to the average attendance, even if he could find 15 000 willing to pay NHL prices in Winnipeg?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2004

pittsburgh 11,877 per game
carolina 12,171 per game
nashville 13,177 per game

these are the possibilities

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

The new arena could be renovated to make room for 900 extra club seats, without compromising the quality of the building. That would leave us with over 3000 luxury/club seating. That's where the real money is. It would (correct me if I am wrong), put us ahead of most markets in the NHL.

MacDaddy TLC*

Pittsburgh has already said no.

Nashville's average ticket is $42.50; They draw 13 177 per game. That works out to a gate of approx. $22 960 922.50 over 41 games. To make that same amount in Winnipeg, drawing the 15 000 that some claim they can draw (remains to be seen--- they didn't in the past) They need to have an average ticket price of $44.80.

To work in Winnipeg, the owners need to have a sell out EVERY NIGHT to make it worth their while. They also require the Canadian dollar to hold that 0.80 exchange for these numbers to remain solid. The dollar may or may not hold on: Busheconomics suggest that the Canadian dollar may rise vs the US dollar, but this is not what Canada wants, being an exporting country, wo we may see some adjustments to encourage the canadian dollar to fall vs the US dollar.

Why would ANY of the 3 look at Winnipeg and think that they can make a better go of it there than say any American city that currently doesn't have an NHL franchise?

MacDaddy TLC*

Jets4Life said:
The new arena could be renovated to make room for 900 extra club seats, without compromising the quality of the building. That would leave us with over 3000 luxury/club seating. That's where the real money is. It would (correct me if I am wrong), put us ahead of most markets in the NHL.
Again with the renovations....
If they thought they could draw an NHL team, why not make the building NHL ready?

No the people of Winnipeg DID NOT support the Jets. 8 consecutive years before they moved to Phoenix, they were under the average attendance for the league. I don't care how many people showed up to cry AFTER the team was lost! Fact is, if they showed up at the games, maybe the team would still be there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->