Who here loved the Winnipeg Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kravitch

hawker14 said:
actually the ceremony was great.

it's the hockey that sucked !
Thats probably what he meant. Darren Ford HATES the Moose.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
MACKDADDY:

Hawker is kicking ur a** in this debate yet you have nothing to say to him. Instead you pick on Jets 4 Life with your false stats and obvious bias against Winnipeg.

Shame on you, All-Star. :shakehead

You're pretty cool btw. :thumbu:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Never really loved the Jets. Was too young to appreciate their 'glory' years in the 1980's and was obviously not alive when they dominated the WHA. Growing up, they were just the pathetic team that Teemu Selanne played on, the team everybody scored 5 goals on, the mediocre team that packed up and went to Phoenix. Their jerseys were sort of nice.

MacDaddy TLC*

mazmin said:
MACKDADDY:

Hawker is kicking ur a** in this debate yet you have nothing to say to him. Instead you pick on Jets 4 Life with your false stats and obvious bias against Winnipeg.

How so? Nothing was offered that hadn't already been rebutted. 13000 is fine and dandy in the American Hockey league, but the average attendance figures the last 8 years have been hovering around 16000, which is more than the number of seats at the MTS. It is an AHL facility. Most of his info was from the jetsowner.com site (I read the page), which is run by an individual with intellectual disabilities if I remember correctly (from what was said in other threads on this subject) My job is to support people with disabilities and build them up, not tear them a new one. Jets4Life has just become a favourite whipping boy due to his *ahem* character. Actually, I don't really have anything against Winnipeg, just the criminals that are overrunning the city. Hell, I would love to take my kids to the Assiniboine zoo, but it is the un caged animals that keep me away. I have a great Grandmother living there who hasn't seen two of my children because I cannot put my family at risk by bringing them there.

As for your other comments, shame on me (oh well... :dunno: ) and the other, I aim to please or piss off (depending on my mood)

EDIT: Even if they could put 15000 in the arena in Winnipeg, which is VERY debateable, all the team would have to do is draw 11500-12000 in the States to be ahead of the game. The winnipeg backers are counting on too many ifs and smart business people don't react to whims of the heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Winnipeg isn't that bad chap.

You must be incapable of defending yourself... or something... paranoid?

The next time you're in town I promise to take you on a nice stroll in the North End and, yes, I will hold your hand. I promise.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
Apparently the new arena has left room to expand I heard somewhere. From all these arguements, I have taken from it that WInnipeg could be just as fine a hockey city as lots of ones that are already in this league, with a good system of course.

I also took from those attendance figures - why on earth does Quebec not have an NHL team? I've always been told they were a great hockey town, and they were above average attendance more than half of the time, so can anyone tell me this?

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Golden Ducky said:
Great rebuttle :handclap:

Your right a city like Phoenix always had a hard time keeping all seats occupied in all 4 major league sports facilities; imo the 'yotes will dissapear from there new venue and the suns will move there.

When the wpg arena was expanded from 10, 700 to 15, 500, There were about 2000 obstructed views. These were called the nosebleed section, all you could see was the rafters. In turn it resulted in alot of unsatisfied paying customers. :mad:

Suns just updated AWA to State-of-the-art similar to Glendale arena. That will be the Suns home for many years.

I sit here stunned tonight to read that wpg arena had 2,000 obstructed view seats!!!

??? Are you kidding me???

I was here (Phx) when they moved here & know they (Burke & Gluckstern) didn't test for any seating layouts prior to signing the deal with Colangelo and AWA. Then the Morons realized they were stuck with 3,500 obstructed seats. I always thought that was stupid, but to find out it happened after coming from the same situation in Winnipeg is absolutely brainless!!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
Actually, I don't really have anything against Winnipeg

You sure could have fooled me.

MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
Hell, I would love to take my kids to the Assiniboine zoo, but it is the un caged animals that keep me away. I have a great Grandmother living there who hasn't seen two of my children because I cannot put my family at risk by bringing them there.

LOL. What kind of risk? Are you a member of the Zig Zag crew? :lol

kdazzad

Oct 5, 2004
i used to have a jets jersey and i wore it everyday, but then my ma burned it.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
C'mon. Painting Winnipeg with this brush is too easy. I'll watch the Ottawa news tonight and get a few gang or crime stories. Is Ottawa dangerous ? Is Toronto,Philly ? Any city has problems and maybe some more than others, but putting your family at risk ? Most people know the danger areas of cities and live their lives accordingly. Careful how you paint the whole city.

J.T

Jun 13, 2004
Man, all this talk about the Nords and Jets makes me think about how great Hockey Day In Canada would be! With four games they would probably have to start the first game at noon! :handclap:

MacDaddy TLC*

The biggest complain I have heard about the old barn is that it had many seats with poor sight lines. I read an article today that stated that those seats were due to an expansion of the arena to accomodate the Jets entry into the WHA or NHL (can't remember if it was early 70s or late 70s). Expanding the capacity of the building is something I see mentioned as a way of making the MTS work for an NHL revival. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Winnipeg couldn't have seriously thought that they had a shot at re-acquiring an NHL team or they would have built a proper building. Again I implore you to get out and enjoy the Moose before they go the way of the Warriors, the Jets.

On a more positive note i will say Winnipeg has done well at hosting short term events. The 99 Pan Am games were a huge success, as were the World Junior, and pretty much any curling event.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Comparing Winnipeg to struggling NHL markets is a wasted exercise. Winnipeg either has the werewithall to stand on its own as a legitimate NHL market or it doesn't. When even the staunchest proponents have to attach caveats to their argument, then it's the latter scenario.

MacDaddy TLC*

Anyone else here attend the Canadian World juniors shellacking of the Soviet Union 8-0 on December 26, 1981 at the old Winnipeg arena. What an incredible game and turning point for Canadians Internationally. It was Canada's first gold at the WJC, which saw games played in Winnipeg despite being hosted by Minneapolis/St Paul.

Golden Ducky

Oct 28, 2004
Winnipeg
www.jetsowner.com
Buddhaful said:
Suns just updated AWA to State-of-the-art similar to Glendale arena. That will be the Suns home for many years.

I sit here stunned tonight to read that wpg arena had 2,000 obstructed view seats!!!

??? Are you kidding me???

I was here (Phx) when they moved here & know they (Burke & Gluckstern) didn't test for any seating layouts prior to signing the deal with Colangelo and AWA. Then the Morons realized they were stuck with 3,500 obstructed seats. I always thought that was stupid, but to find out it happened after coming from the same situation in Winnipeg is absolutely brainless!!

yeah no kidding, its funny how it worked out eh.

Really the suns have there arena updated to like most new arenas, I didn't know that. I thought they eventually needed a new one.

Last edited:

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Golden Ducky said:
yeah no kidding, its funny how it worked out eh.

Really the suns have there arena updated to like most new arenas, I didn't know that. I thought they eventually needed a new one.

I wouldn't call it funny, more like painful, but if that had to happen in order for them to sell the team & have Gretzky jump on board, then it was worth it. But extremely painful.

As for the Suns arena, here's a little info on the expansion:

http://www.americawestarena.com/news/expansion.shtml

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I HUGELY miss the Jets, hate the Coyotes, and was among the 13,200 fans at games in the 'Peg. Which is OVER the NHL average, even today, but especially in the early 80's, when the new 19,000 and 20,000 seat arenas weren't OPEN yet. To AVERAGE 13,200 fans in an arena that only held 14,000 (with some awfully crappy seats in the upper corners!) is a lot better than the Mighty Ducks do, or the Sharks did in their first few seasons. The ONLY reason the Jets moved is the greedy owner not getting his new arena paid for by the cith of Winnipeg.

BTW, Winnipeg has less crime than almost any American TOWN, let alone CITY. It's VERY safe to walk around downtown and the south part of town. I've never really been to the north end much, but imagine that it's pretty safe, too, since I never hear much about crime in Winnipeg.

And, I'm an American who lives 145 miles from Winnipeg, in that "minor league" city of Grand Forks, ND. Where we have the best-rated hockey arena in North America. Even ahead of the Xcel Energy Center or the ACC.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
nucks&flames said:
Apparently the new arena has left room to expand I heard somewhere. From all these arguements, I have taken from it that WInnipeg could be just as fine a hockey city as lots of ones that are already in this league, with a good system of course.

I also took from those attendance figures - why on earth does Quebec not have an NHL team? I've always been told they were a great hockey town, and they were above average attendance more than half of the time, so can anyone tell me this?

The Quebec government wouldn't step in and save them. I do not recall any businesspeople from Quebec City trying to build an arena to keep the team in Quebec. To top that off, there wasn't the passion to keep the team in Quebec that there was in Winnipeg (35,000+ showed up for a "Save the Jets" rally). They were a great hockey town, but for some reason, never showed it when Denver businessmen came knocking on the door.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
nucks&flames said:

That is correct. Appearantly the new arena could easily put in 900 seats, all unobstructed, making the total capacity 16,000. Not the biggest rink, but still enough to put an NHL team in. Adding any more seats would be silly, as it would compromise our beautiful new arena.

MacDaddy TLC*

but the expansion of the old Winnipeg arena was blamed for the poor sight lines. Again, those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Winnipeg Is an AHL city, not NHL.

BTW, the crime numbers were backed up but the moderators deleted them for those who would like to believe that Winnipeg isn't any more dangerous than any other Canadian city (3.4 murders per 100 000 people in Winnipeg vs the Canadian average of 1.7)

Last edited by a moderator:

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
but the expansion of the old Winnipeg arena was blamed for the poor sight lines. Again, those who fal to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Winnipeg Is an AHL city, not NHL.

BTW, the crime numbers were backed up but Buffaloed deleted them for those who would like to believe that Winnipeg isn't any more dangerous than any other Canadian city (3.4 murders per 100 000 people in Winnipeg vs the Canadian average of 1.7)

Mac, here you are again bashing Winnipeg, claiming its some crime-ridden cesspool (damn, sp?), and telling people who LIVE THERE or visit there on MANY occasions that their wrong because you read some stats and had one bad experience. Having grown up in Winnipeg and since moved to Jacksonville FL, I can tell you that I felt 300% safer walking around Winnipeg than I do down here, just as I feel safer in Winnipeg than I do in most other cities I've visited in Canada. This business that Winnipeg is a terrible crime capital is absolute nonsense. Sure cars get stolen, and a few drug addicts kill their 'loving' spouses every once in a while, but serious violent crime is rare to the average citizen.

One can make an arguement saying Winnipeg is a minor league town, but you're not making it. You DO have 'something' against the city, as you've admitted it in the past.

I'm not sure how wise adding on to the new arena would be, but simply because it didn't work in the past doesn't mean we'd be doomed to repeat history. The archetects would simply have to be careful to ensure that it doesn't ruin the sightlines in the building, simple as that. If they do, then it doesn't get done.

Those who aren't closely familiar with the city really have no clue as to its ability to support the team, as it goes beyond stats and numbers. The only arguments I really read on these boards against Winnipeg are individuals from far-away places quoting attendance statistics and claiming that they know exactly what Winnipeg can and cannot support. Could Winnipeg put 3 more thousand people in the stands in a new arena for the NHL? I have little doubt. My concern would more be for the arena size (too small right now in all likelihood), and corporate support. Fan support wasn't an issue before, and it wouldn't be now.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
My roomate is from Winnipeg, he was 16 when the Jets left. He wears Jets jerseys, t-shirts, hats, jackets. He has a jets flag on his wall. He has a Jets screensaver on his laptop. He drinks his coffee in the morning out of a Jets mug. He talks about the Jets.

I am going to kill him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->