Who has actually seen our Leafs hoist Lord Stanley ?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
...edit...
Why am I so pissed off most nights with our play ? and why am I not confident with our chances in the playoffs ?
Why does this team frustrate me more than it should ?
I really like this team and feel on paper it’s one of the best teams I’ve ever witnessed since 67
BUTttttt...
What’s missing
I should be more confident , shouldn’t i ?
They are breaking all kinds of team records and individual records , but still I can’t stop feeling this angst with this team that I can’t seem to shake ?
Anyone in the same boat who has been there for over 50 years or more ?or anyone else that feels the same ? Or what say you Blue and White Loyal nation
Go Leafs Go !!!!

Do you think Babcock shares your feeling and is trying to fix this or is he part of the problem?

member 300185

I vaguely remember it. I was 4. We were a poor family and our TV consisted of a 13 inch black and white that we had to turn on with a pair of pliers.

When the Leafs won, I jumped so hard and I spilled my milk all over our couch. I felt bad, even at 4, because my mother struggled to put food on our table. It was powdered milk to boot. But she was so kind about it. Nothing ever seemed to faze that woman....until I joined the army.

Anyways, great memory of that game that has stuck with me over the years.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Do you think Babcock shares your feeling and is trying to fix this or is he part of the problem?
Of course he thinks about all the challenges that surround this team , he’s a good coach , not great , good .
In my opinion he’s to “loyal” in a bad way to his good plumbers and vets , I also think he’s like all of us and has somewhat of an ego due to his successes on the international arena , but we all know that other than line combinations , those teams were extremely stacked and rightfully so as even Toews was a 4th line checking winger once and even Yzerman was as well .
Everyone is aware that you don’t coach 95% of those teams with the sheer over the top skill talent and raw desire that any of those players had ....
Having said all that , if you inspect his resume closer , what has he accomplished other than 1 cup ( which is great on its own ) but really if you look closer , how many real fails has he had in first rounds and seconds and finals over the years , quite a bit ...
I know I know you can’t win them all but tell that to Patriots staff and head coach ....
Coaching different levels of skill all have there unique challenges but boy oh boy wouldn’t any coach rather lead a group of young very talented , skilled , fast team with great goaltending over a lower skilled team ?
Of course the answer is yes !!!
I just don’t think Babcock is the right coach for this team , not a bad coach , not the right coach !
I don’t think other than , Marleau and Hainsey and possibly JT the other younger players can’t relate to his home cooking style ,prairie boy , gud pro persona .
I think he’s been good up until this year in establishing the “ right way “ of being a pro . But it’s time for a more Glen Sather ( with the oilers ) like arrogant let the boys play to their talent approach and win games in high scoring fashion and let the boys play fun exciting hockey that will breed more confidence in the group as they go ..
The team is built on younger today’s type of player who loves scoring goals and having fun , he’s trying to have them play a style that’s not conducive to their abilities and doing the square peg in round hole approach , it’s clearly not working , I don’t mind necessarily that they are not abrasive , because like it or not that’s were it’s all heading sooner than later , but in saying that , their identity should be letting them win 6-4 5-4 7-3 games , it might not work this year in the playoffs but within 1-3 or 4 years all the teams will be made up of smaller faster players with little truculence if any , that’s what it’s going to be !!!
Also a bit to stubborn for my liking ...
I like him , he’s good and a good person no doubt about it , but with Dubas heading this team and the team as it is and continuing to be , he won’t be around if they don’t have success this year .
I’d like to see Their AHL coach or any other younger up and coming coach lead them from next year on ..
Just my opinion of 60 plus years and being a leaf fan for most of those years and dabbled in being a player and coach and manager of 3 different sports , def. not in the big leagues at all , but enough of exposer to all levels ..
Wink wink ....
Cheers
Go Leafs Go

Last edited:

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I was very young in 67 but do remember my uncles celebrating. I also remember crying when the Leafs lost any game in the late 60s. Now I only cry when I see some of Babcock’s player usage. :(

Reactions: Teeder Keon

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Possibly more memorable for me was the '72 summit series. I was 19 then. The last two games were on Tuesday and Thursday, and school had set up black and white TVs in the cafeteria, where we were supposed to watch them. We weren't supposed to leave school, but I went home. Dad was working shifts, so I got to watch them with my dad, on a color TV, with a glass of scotch in hand. Wonderful memory.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was a young boy but remember my Leafs winning the Stanley Cup in 1967.

and my favourite player Davey Keon doing this, as my father explained how he was the most valuable Maple Leaf player in the playoffs.

Leafs_Last_Cup_PHOTO-main_sm.jpg

I've been waiting 51 years and counting as a diehard Leaf fan all my life for history to repeat itself only this time on my 65" 4k TV.

He's waiting to hand that trophy over to Mitch.

Mitch won't win the Byng though, he's a bit of a goon, takes too many penalties.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He's waiting to hand that trophy over to Mitch.

Mitch won't win the Byng though, he's a bit of a goon, takes too many penalties.

I remember checking the daily box scores and following my Hero Davey on the radio for many games, hoping he would go the whole season without a single penalty and win most sportsman like player.. When he did get that random 2 minutes late in the season I remember it would tick me off when it happened .. Tracking his zero pims was as important as his goals and assists.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I remember checking the daily box scores and following my Hero Davey on the radio for many games, hoping he would go the whole season without a single penalty and win most sportsman like player.. When he did get that random 2 minutes late in the season I remember it would tick me off when it happened .. Tracking his zero pims was as important as his goals and assists.

If you are in good position you don't take penalties chasing your man.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you are in good position you don't take penalties chasing your man.

Davey could skate circles around the opposition, so unless you were Yvan "the roadrunner" Cournoyer chasing the play was never a problem.

In Leafs Cup year of 1967, Davey had just 2 minutes in Pims in the regular season and 0 in the playoffs on the way to the Conn Smythe . .Even with only 2 minutes all year he still didn't win the Lady Bing that year, lost out to goon turn Mr. Nice guy Stan Makita.

Davey Keon stylistically describes the current Leafs composition fairly well as them seem built in his image of small, soft, fast and that is why our Leafs draw among the least penalties. Unlike the current Leafs however 1967 Keon had a lot of help in the other aspects of the game. He left the heavy lifting to Timmy Horton, Bobby Baun and clear the track for Eddie Shack, while He, The Big M, Red and Ronnie the Robot, and captained by the Chief provided the offense.

Game 6 - 1967 Stanley Cup playoffs - memory recap.
0-0 after 1 period and the intensity builds, while Terry Sawchuk holds the Habs at bay, taking over for Johnny Bower in the series for game #6. Davey Keon tasked with holding Jean Beliveau in check.
2nd period Red Kelly rushes into the Habs zone and fires a shot off Gumper Worsley who can't handle the rebound, and Ronnie Ellis charges in to put the Leafs up 1-0.
Late 2nd period Jimmy Pappin takes a Pete Stemkowski pass and buries it put the Leafs ahead for good (but not known yet), still a period of nerves on edge to go.
Late 3rd period George the Chief Armstrong deposits the puck into the empty net, after Kelly breaks up the play to feed him the puck at centre ice, while my Dad also a diehard Leaf fan jumps out of his chair yelling "Its over".
Leafs hoist their last Stanley Cup !!!!

Elvis Sings : Memories

Been 50+ years, but that memory is lock in stone like it happened only yesterday, and we are about to find out if history is about to repeat itself.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was born a year after our last cup.... so just missed it.... I'm not the curse, I'm not the curse...

Billy Bariko scores the Leafs Cup winning goal in 1951, and tragically dies in a plane crash on a fishing trip, which remains lost for 11 years and its said that was the curse of Leafs non Cup years.

The 1960's Leafs finally ended their curse when Billy Bariko's plane was found after it had crashed a decade earlier, and Leafs Cup drought mercifully ended as BB could finally R.I.P.

My father would tell me this Leafs curse, and a song "Fifty Mission Cap" by The Tragically Hip in the 1990's would sing this into legend.

I'm sure Harold Ballard is to blame for this current Leaf suffering and curse, as opposed to you. :wg:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Please don't refer to '67 as the 'last Cup'. It's only the most recent, but won't be the last.

Interesting note - Imlach liked to have his defencemen take faceoffs in their end. It was Allan Stanley who took the draw in the last minute, drew it back and boxed out Beliveau, so Kelly could get the puck. He moved it up to Pulford, who hit Armstrong for the empty net goal.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Davey could skate circles around the opposition, so unless you were Yvan "the roadrunner" Cournoyer chasing the play was never a problem.

In Leafs Cup year of 1967, Davey had just 2 minutes in Pims in the regular season and 0 in the playoffs on the way to the Conn Smythe . .Even with only 2 minutes all year he still didn't win the Lady Bing that year, lost out to goon turn Mr. Nice guy Stan Makita.

Davey Keon stylistically describes the current Leafs composition fairly well as them seem built in his image of small, soft, fast and that is why our Leafs draw among the least penalties. Unlike the current Leafs however 1967 Keon had a lot of help in the other aspects of the game. He left the heavy lifting to Timmy Horton, Bobby Baun and clear the track for Eddie Shack, while He, The Big M, Red and Ronnie the Robot, and captained by the Chief provided the offense.

Game 6 - 1967 Stanley Cup playoffs - memory recap.
0-0 after 1 period and the intensity builds, while Terry Sawchuk holds the Habs at bay, taking over for Johnny Bower in the series for game #6. Davey Keon tasked with holding Jean Beliveau in check.
2nd period Red Kelly rushes into the Habs zone and fires a shot off Gumper Worsley who can't handle the rebound, and Ronnie Ellis charges in to put the Leafs up 1-0.
Late 2nd period Jimmy Pappin takes a Pete Stemkowski pass and buries it put the Leafs ahead for good (but not known yet), still a period of nerves on edge to go.
Late 3rd period George the Chief Armstrong deposits the puck into the empty net, after Kelly breaks up the play to feed him the puck at centre ice, while my Dad also a diehard Leaf fan jumps out of his chair yelling "Its over".
Leafs hoist their last Stanley Cup !!!!

Elvis Sings : Memories

Been 50+ years, but that memory is lock in stone like it happened only yesterday, and we are about to find out if history is about to repeat itself.

I know Carl Brewer was gone by ‘67, but I would’ve loved to have seen the ‘62-64 version of the Leafs’ defense. The foursome of Tim Horton, Allan Stanley, Carl Brewer and Bobby Baun would have been a sight to behold. It’s been that long since we’ve had a truly exceptional D corps.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I know Carl Brewer was gone by ‘67, but I would’ve loved to have seen the ‘62-64 version of the Leafs’ defense. The foursome of Tim Horton, Allan Stanley, Carl Brewer and Bobby Baun would have been a sight to behold. It’s been that long since we’ve had a truly exceptional D corps.

We got to see Brewer when the Leafs brought him out of retirement and back to the Leafs in 1980, :)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Too bad the Bruins don't have the D they had then - worst in the league.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
We got to see Brewer when the Leafs brought him out of retirement and back to the Leafs in 1980, :)

Ah yes, Imlach’s spy!

What a shame, Brewer was on track for the Hall of Fame had he played a full career in Toronto.

Too bad the Bruins don't have the D they had then - worst in the league.

With Orr, Park, Bourque and Chara, basically an uninterrupted 50 year stretch of having had a HOFer patrol the blueline, hopefully their run of luck is out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad