Who has actually seen our Leafs hoist Lord Stanley ?

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Never followed any sports until Sundin arrived. Yes I missed the 93 run and of course the two Jays championship years.

Well, considering some people here have never seen a Leafs playoff series win, I was lucky enough to witness 7 of those.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I was 10 and absolutely out of my mind happy that we had won the cup , the parade was magnificent and Leaf Nation was out in full force ......
From that moment on , ive lived through so many incredible highs and abyss like lows , frustrations , humiliating moments , pain , with some intermittent fleeting hopes and dreams in the 70s and 90s trying to get back to where we rightfully belong , on that elusive holy grail again ...
Is it just me or ....
We finally have a great team with our youth at the forefront and great goaltending and promising stars , a great organization , cash flow like no other , nice veteran pieces , all kinds of trophy candidates and a bright future ,
BUTttttttttttt wait
Why am I so pissed off most nights with our play ? and why am I not confident with our chances in the playoffs ?
Why does this team frustrate me more than it should ?
I really like this team and feel on paper it’s one of the best teams I’ve ever witnessed since 67
BUTttttt...
What’s missing
I should be more confident , shouldn’t i ?
They are breaking all kinds of team records and individual records , but still I can’t stop feeling this angst with this team that I can’t seem to shake ?
Anyone in the same boat who has been there for over 50 years or more ?or anyone else that feel the same ? Or what say you Blue and White Loyal nation
Go Leafs Go !!!!
I was at game 3 when Bulford scored in OT. My dad was the reason I loved hockey. I was 9 going on 10 and we went to the parade with all the players riding in convertibles Bloor st was packed. I played hockey and wanted to be like Keon but I had a nasty temper and was always in the penalty box.

I went through all the ups and down. When Dougie was in his prime here and with Pat Burns at the helm I thought we were going to win a cup again.

I must say that today’s teams is the best we have had in pure talent in a very long time.

Last week I went through our not perfect lineup and I truly could not come up with a reason why we could not win it all this year with a little luck and healthy players. Up until last week I was like you not feeling all that confident. I really do not know why I have had a change of heart but having JT, Mathews and Kadri down the middle with the scoring wingers we have and the goalie who has been great. It seems like we can get on a roll and be real hard to stop. The first round will be our toughest as we need to prove to our selfs we can win.

I remember 64 as well.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
I was at every game of the Stanley Cup Final in 1967. My family had season tickets in T.O. and I was such a fan (and rebel) I went to the Forum for games 1 & 2 with my mother and took the overnight train with her for game 5. Went nuts when the Leafs won in Toronto in 6. Was the memory of a lifetime!

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I love the generational stories. I’ve been watching since 1995 (I was 3-4 at the time) when we immigrated to Canada so I can’t speak to anything before that other than the videos and stories out there. Some of my earliest memories are of the Sundin-era Leafs with Felix the cat in net and eventually Joseph. I honestly thought we had team back in the late 90’s to early 2000’s that was going to win it all.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Me, I actually saw the last one in 1967! It was wonderful. I was only 12 years old!

As mentioned before my DOB is included in my UserId.

This likely the most talented team since then, but hardly the best team.

There have been better teams since '67, just not as talented.

They don't know what urgency is.

Last edited:

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
I did. I also remember having erotic pubescent thoughts of Marilyn Monroe, and looking longingly at the bra ads in the Sears catalog. I remember "Penny Lane" was number one on the charts. I remember Muhammed Ali getting out of jail and fighting Jerry Quarry. I had pimples, but fear not, they went away. I remember Frank Mahovlich getting traded and not liking neither Ullman nor Smith nor Henderson until 1972, then I liked Henderson.

The next thing I knew, I was 60-something and the Leafs still haven't won the cup.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I did. I also remember having erotic pubescent thoughts of Marilyn Monroe, and looking longingly at the bra ads in the Sears catalog. I remember "Penny Lane" was number one on the charts. I remember Muhammed Ali getting out of jail and fighting Jerry Quarry. I had pimples, but fear not, they went away. I remember Frank Mahovlich getting traded and not liking neither Ullman nor Smith nor Henderson until 1972, then I liked Henderson.

The next thing I knew, I was 60-something and the Leafs still haven't won the cup.

And the game being joined in progress after Don Messers Jubilee.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was a young boy but remember my Leafs winning the Stanley Cup in 1967.

As a family we were gathered around our Black and White TV with rabbit ears that looked like this

e15ffd2be78469d97ae7d7b80d342a33.jpg
3d1d2912d5f866f10ad8c197590f15d1--receptions-rabbit-ears.jpg

and even had tin foil on the antennas like this to try and make the picture clearer, as snow storms would often disrupt the picture at times.

Jim Pappin put the Leafs up 2-1 late in the 2nd, and then when George "the Chief" Armstrong shot the puck into the empty net putting the Leafs up 3-1 in the deciding game, the house erupted when Dad yelled "Its over".

Then we watched this

17-army-X-V.jpg

and my favourite player Davey Keon doing this, as my father explained how he was the most valuable Maple Leaf player in the playoffs.

Leafs_Last_Cup_PHOTO-main_sm.jpg

I've been waiting 51 years and counting as a diehard Leaf fan all my life for history to repeat itself only this time on my 65" 4k TV.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I’ve seen the Leafs hoist the Cup four times. The 67 team was positively geriatric. They won on a mixture of superlative goaltending and getting hot at the right time. The Habs had won the two previous Cups and would win the next two. They would be remembered as a great dynasty if it were not for the upset in 1967. The best team in the regular season, by far, had been the Bobby Hull-Stan Mikita led Hawks. I certainly didn’t expect the Leafs to be lifting the Cup that year.

I won’t go through the other three Cup runs earlier in the decade. I’ll only say that the 62-63 team was one of only two Leafs squads in history to win the Cup and also finish first in the regular season. (The other was the 47-48 team which as before my time.). Even that year there were always questions. Winning the Cup is never a lock.

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I was a young boy but remember my Leafs winning the Stanley Cup in 1967.

As a family we were gathered around our Black and White TV with rabbit ears that looked like this

e15ffd2be78469d97ae7d7b80d342a33.jpg
3d1d2912d5f866f10ad8c197590f15d1--receptions-rabbit-ears.jpg

and even had tin foil on the antennas like this to try and make the picture clearer, as snow storms would often disrupt the picture at times.

Jim Pappin put the Leafs up 2-1 late in the 2nd, and then when George "the Chief" Armstrong shot the puck into the empty net putting the Leafs up 3-1 in the deciding game, the house erupted when Dad yelled "Its over".

Then we watched this

17-army-X-V.jpg

and my favourite player Davey Keon doing this, as my father explained how he was the most valuable Maple Leaf player in the playoffs.

Leafs_Last_Cup_PHOTO-main_sm.jpg

I've been waiting 51 years and counting as a diehard Leaf fan all my life for history to repeat itself only this time on my 65" 4k TV.
Way to go brotha
Awesome post !
Great job !

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
Ibwas born in 94. Haven't seen a single major 4 (well 3 I guess) championships. TFC winning a few years ago was amazing to watch, I can't even begin to fathom how a Leafs Stanley Cup would be.

My only concern is I'm like 95% sure if the Leafs won my Dad would have a heart attack though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad