Who has actually seen our Leafs hoist Lord Stanley ?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I was 10 and absolutely out of my mind happy that we had won the cup , the parade was magnificent and Leaf Nation was out in full force ......
From that moment on , ive lived through so many incredible highs and abyss like lows , frustrations , humiliating moments , pain , with some intermittent fleeting hopes and dreams in the 70s and 90s trying to get back to where we rightfully belong , on that elusive holy grail again ...
Is it just me or ....
We finally have a great team with our youth at the forefront and great goaltending and promising stars , a great organization , cash flow like no other , nice veteran pieces , all kinds of trophy candidates and a bright future ,
BUTttttttttttt wait
Why am I so pissed off most nights with our play ? and why am I not confident with our chances in the playoffs ?
Why does this team frustrate me more than it should ?
I really like this team and feel on paper it’s one of the best teams I’ve ever witnessed since 67
BUTttttt...
What’s missing
I should be more confident , shouldn’t i ?
They are breaking all kinds of team records and individual records , but still I can’t stop feeling this angst with this team that I can’t seem to shake ?
Anyone in the same boat who has been there for over 50 years or more ?or anyone else that feels the same ? Or what say you Blue and White Loyal nation
Go Leafs Go !!!!
I was 8,surrounded by uncles freaking out...been hooked ever since!

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
Not me. I started watching hockey in the mid 80's.
I did have the pleasure of watching the Oilers ( 2nd favourite team ) and the Pens ( 3rd favourite team ) hoist a combined 10 cups in my lifetime.
But I would trade all of those for the Leafs to win even 1 cup.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I was 10 and absolutely out of my mind happy that we had won the cup , the parade was magnificent and Leaf Nation was out in full force ......
From that moment on , ive lived through so many incredible highs and abyss like lows , frustrations , humiliating moments , pain , with some intermittent fleeting hopes and dreams in the 70s and 90s trying to get back to where we rightfully belong , on that elusive holy grail again ...
Is it just me or ....
We finally have a great team with our youth at the forefront and great goaltending and promising stars , a great organization , cash flow like no other , nice veteran pieces , all kinds of trophy candidates and a bright future ,
BUTttttttttttt wait
Why am I so pissed off most nights with our play ? and why am I not confident with our chances in the playoffs ?
Why does this team frustrate me more than it should ?
I really like this team and feel on paper it’s one of the best teams I’ve ever witnessed since 67
BUTttttt...
What’s missing
I should be more confident , shouldn’t i ?
They are breaking all kinds of team records and individual records , but still I can’t stop feeling this angst with this team that I can’t seem to shake ?
Anyone in the same boat who has been there for over 50 years or more ?or anyone else that feels the same ? Or what say you Blue and White Loyal nation
Go Leafs Go !!!!
I was 10 too. I won 25 cents betting on the leafs over the habs with my friend.
It’s been all downhill ever since....but I have never lost my confidence in the leafs.
Go Leafs Go!!!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I was a young boy but remember my Leafs winning the Stanley Cup in 1967.

As a family we were gathered around our Black and White TV with rabbit ears that looked like this

e15ffd2be78469d97ae7d7b80d342a33.jpg
3d1d2912d5f866f10ad8c197590f15d1--receptions-rabbit-ears.jpg

and even had tin foil on the antennas like this to try and make the picture clearer, as snow storms would often disrupt the picture at times.

Jim Pappin put the Leafs up 2-1 late in the 2nd, and then when George "the Chief" Armstrong shot the puck into the empty net putting the Leafs up 3-1 in the deciding game, the house erupted when Dad yelled "Its over".

Then we watched this

17-army-X-V.jpg

and my favourite player Davey Keon doing this, as my father explained how he was the most valuable Maple Leaf player in the playoffs.

Leafs_Last_Cup_PHOTO-main_sm.jpg

I've been waiting 51 years and counting as a diehard Leaf fan all my life for history to repeat itself only this time on my 65" 4k TV.

Nice Story. I would like if I could. I wish I could have experienced this the Beatles and Elvis. Frank, Roy and Chuck too.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I was 8, 4 older brothers all Leaf fans remember it well.
My old man was away working the Great Lakes from April til November didn’t give a damn about hockey but his friend from the ships would have a couple of us up every year for a game. He lived within a couple of blocks of the Gardens. We came from a tiny village in Easter Ontario huge culture shock for the rubes.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
My Dad was 18, and is turning 70 this year. I was born in '73, so haven't even witnessed a trip to the finals. I'd love to watch a Cup clincher with him soon. He had me on skates from the minute I could walk and of course we went to games at MLG and the ACC (Yes, that is what it was back then), and he took me to the old Chicago Stadium to see the Leafs in it's final season (still have the shirt!). '93 was the closest and best chance. Had some disappointing ends to seasons in the late 90s/early 2000s too. My buddy and me drove 14 hrs to game 5 in Carolina to watch them win in '02!

This team is good, but does lack some jam I guess. Have a top notch goaltender, more than 1 top C, and great wingers. How many of these past failures have been lacking at least 1 of those, but have never had all of these like they do now.

To add..... I do remember being very young and my Dad cheering when the Leafs scored, and startled to the point of crying. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Teeder Keon

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Also.....people have to be patient. This core is very high end and still very young. The window is not closing. Let's appreciate what we have, and not forget what times were like just a few short years ago, not to mention being mediocre or worse for so many years.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Saw them all in the 60's and all the 51 since, started watching them when they came on in the 2nd period, after Don Messer and front page challenge, Gordy Sinclair Burton, and Betty Kennedy. And they were terrible in the mid 50's also.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I saw a couple on TV, and went to a couple of playoff games leading to the cup.

Didn't get to watch the any SCF cup-raising winning game live though.

My dad had company tickets in the reds (before they invented golds, red were the best!), right behind one of the TV cameras. We could watch for the red light to go on which meant that was the camera being used in the broadcast, and lean forward and see what the cameraman could see in the viewfinder.

I was 11 for the last win, and had to wear a suit to the games.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I saw a couple on TV, and went to a couple of playoff games leading to the cup.

Didn't get to watch the any SCF cup-raising winning game live though.

My dad had company tickets in the reds (before they invented golds, red were the best!), right behind one of the TV cameras. We could watch for the red light to go on which meant that was the camera being used in the broadcast, and lean forward and see what the cameraman could see in the viewfinder.

I was 11 for the last win, and had to wear a suit to the games.
Great story man .
Yep the old Gardens was something very special , shrine and church like in a lot of ways ...
My first time there ,I got in as early as I could to walk around everywhere and anywhere I could and some places I couldn’t ....
The hall ways were awesome and the vivid blue colour and the faded walls and pictures and posters .... when I finally sat in my seat I was glued to it and never got up from it all game long , no matter what !
I kept on looking around everywhere mesmerized , taking the scenery in and the smells and people’s expressions , all with hats on and mostly suits ... , the place was beautiful and we beat the Habs that night , it couldn’t be a more perfect evening ...
I’ve only been to the gardens on one other occasion just before it closed , but that first time was something I’ll never forget
Go leafs go !!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: coupe93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad