Who had a better 2019/20 Season - Ovechkin or Bergeron?

Who had a better 2019/20 Season?

• Total voters

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
That's not the part I don't understand. I understand you wanting I take a player based on what they did this season, that's literally what the poll is. I don't understand what all this "better player" nonsense you're bringing up is.
Because you brought up those advanced stats. Those show that Bergeron is a better player (which is common knowledge). But it doesn’t show who had the better season.

Bergeron had better advanced stats in Ovechkin’s Stanley Cup title winning season, but it was clear as day who had the better season.

That’s my whole point here.

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
A few people in here clearly don’t understand the largest aspect too why Boston’s 1st line is so great.

Bergeron has been in the league for 15+ years. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning any of his lines as close to the best in the league until the last couple of years. You know, when Marchand broke out and Pastrnak hit his prime. If Bergeron is the "largest aspect" that line is so great, why weren't any of his past lines mentioned as the best? 15 years is a big enough sample size.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Bergeron has been in the league for 15+ years. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning any of his lines as close to the best in the league until the last couple of years. You know, when Marchand broke out and Pastrnak hit his prime. If Bergeron is the "largest aspect" that line is so great, why weren't any of his past lines mentioned as the best? 15 years is a big enough sample size.
PREACH

PREACH

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin was definitely talked about as one of the best lines in the league when they were playing together.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
+/- isn't the greatest stat in the world. Many have argued against using it. But it should be ip to OP to determine these fair stats on both offense and defense before making a poll knowing full and well he/she can influence the results

There's nothing wrong with choosing one or the other. Even if OP likes Bergeron to OV, that's fine, but keep it fair.

I wasn't talking about the +/- stat. You asked which player is leading to more goals for I believe, so why can't it go the other way? Which player is leading to fewer goals against?

Both are significant to evaluating a player.

I am an eye test fan rather than advanced stats, but I imagine the advantage Ovechkin has with goal scoring is at least offset by Bergeron's defense.

Meanwhile, Bergeron is also scoring....

I'd think this is a tie if Bergeron wins the Selke but I get the sense the media is on to finding the next name to promote with the Selke. I voted Bergeron because I do think his individual impact tilts his way factoring offense and defense. I also watch his games... Ovechkin also brings physicality of few other star players so he isn't a one trick pony. I'd take Ovechkin over many players but not Bergeron.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I wasn't talking about the +/- stat. You asked which player is leading to more goals for I believe, so why can't it go the other way? Which player is leading to fewer goals against?

Both are significant to evaluating a player.

I am an eye test fan rather than advanced stats, but I imagine the advantage Ovechkin has with goal scoring is at least offset by Bergeron's defense.

Meanwhile, Bergeron is also scoring....

I'd think this is a tie if Bergeron wins the Selke but I get the sense the media is on to finding the next name to promote with the Selke. I voted Bergeron because I do think his individual impact tilts his way factoring offense and defense. I also watch his games... Ovechkin also brings physicality of few other star players so he isn't a one trick pony. I'd take Ovechkin over many players but not Bergeron.
ive already stated that Bergeron is a better overall player but i made the distinction to trap Jesus where better season doesn’t mean better player.

the advanced stats plus eye test show that Bergeron is better overall than Ovechkin, but he had a better season than Bergeron in terms of accolades, circumstances, competition, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad