Who had a better 2019/20 Season - Ovechkin or Bergeron?

Who had a better 2019/20 Season?

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
How about some data and numbers instead of some bubble graphs no one can make a head or tail of? I honestly don't get why everyone feels the need to make all these graphs when the numbers are much more accurate, easier to decipher and easier to find what you're looking for.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
How about some data and numbers instead of some bubble graphs no one can make a head or tail of? I honestly don't get why everyone feels the need to make all these graphs when the numbers are much more accurate, easier to decipher and easier to find what you're looking for.
Those are numbers, it's data that isn't made publicly available. Ovechkin's main strength is shot generation, Bergeron's is defense.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bergeron is one of my favorite players to watch and he's terrific but I'm going with the guy who would have scored 50 again and won his 9th Rocket at 34 years old.

Also, why compare these two? Very different players who play different positions and have very different roles on their respective teams. Seems like an add comparison choice.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
A "Rocket" Award basically wins this for Ovechkin by itself (in terms of "better season", not necessarily better player).

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Ovechkin. Top line in turmoil all year long, Kuznetsov concussions and coke suspensions which has seen his play go into the toilet. Backstrom having to step up once again to the top line when he really shouldn't be there at this point in his career either.

Watch the games, it's Ovechkin. Also, this isn't going the way OP hoped I assume.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Bergeron plays with a crazy stacked line so it's really hard to tell. I think I'd prefer Bergeron on my team but I'd have to say Ovechkin was probably "better"

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Your question makes no sense. Only one of them cab win in this thread's "who had the better season" question. So it's Ovechkin.
The implication is that you watched both heavily. Ovechkin isn't a player that bodes well for the eye-test being so one-dimensional, whereas Bergeron is the opposite.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The implication is that you watched both heavily. Ovechkin isn't a player that bodes well for the eye-test being so one-dimensional, whereas Bergeron is the opposite.

I would strongly disagree with that. The eye test tends to place a lot less focus on the dimension of play where Bergeron is better, especially for forwards.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I would strongly disagree with that. The eye test tends to place a lot less focus on the dimension of play where Bergeron is better, especially for forwards.
Eye test is for things that don't usually show up on stats. What are you seeing from Ovechkin that doesn't show up on the stat sheet really?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Eye test is for things that don't usually show up on stats. What are you seeing from Ovechkin that doesn't show up on the stat sheet really?

That might be how the eye test should work, but in practice, that's not what most people are referencing when they talk about the eye test. They are mostly referencing things like skating speed, physicality, puck carrying, etc.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
That might be how the eye test should work, but in practice, that's not what most people are referencing when they talk about the eye test. They are mostly referencing things like skating speed, physicality, puck carrying, etc.
I think there's a difference between highlights and eye test though. You can watch a highlight reel of Ovechkin goals and see him showcasing those things, but watching him for 20 minutes a game is a different experience. There's a lot more to Bergeron's game that you can see him impacting than Ovechkin in any given game.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
In terms of defensive engagement, I think how active they are away from the puck is just night and day.
In terms of offensive engagement, they're night and day. One needs 2 star wingers and another has a partner who has played below his standards, with changing linemates every other week

I love Bergeron but having 2 offensive juggernauts makes it easy for you to just focus on defense

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'll actually go with Bergeron here. Normally, I'd choose OV without much hesitation (except maybe last season) but he felt a bit one dimensional this season. Beyond his uninvolved defensive play, his Richard was really won over the course of a handful of games where he scored 14 goals and instantly jumped to the top of the goal scoring race. Outside of that, though, I didn't see enough consistent dominance throughout the season to go with him.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I'll actually go with Bergeron here. Normally, I'd choose OV without much hesitation (except maybe last season) but he felt a bit one dimensional this season. Beyond his uninvolved defensive play, his Richard was really won over the course of a handful of games where he scored 14 goals and instantly jumped to the top of the goal scoring race. Outside of that, though, I didn't see enough consistent dominance throughout the season to go with him.
But isn’t it crazy how at his age he could win the race in just 2 weeks?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
OP I'm not going to lie, I've seen your post history on Ovechkin and it's pretty simple to guess where your agenda lies with this poll

It isn't exactly a poor premise... depends on the fan's philosophy. Well rounded game or pure offensive forward.... a very established debate we will see for many years.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I think you are confusing eye test with what can be easily found on paper, in goals/assists. Boston fans are quite spoiled.

The eye test for a knowledgeable hockey fan is exactly where Bergeron has the advantage over any other player.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad