Who had a better 2019/20 Season - Ovechkin or Bergeron?

Who had a better 2019/20 Season?

• Total voters

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Production

Ovechkin (68 GP): 48 G (13 PPG), 19 A (5 PPA), 67 P (18 PPP), 311 S
Bergeron (61 GP): 31 G (11 PPG, 1 SHG), 26 A (9 PPA), 56 P (20 PPP, 1 SHP), 203 S

TOI

Ovechkin: 20:40 TOI/GP; 15:45 EV TOI/GP, 4:53 PP TOI/GP, 0:01 SH TOI/GP
Bergeron: 18:44 TOI/GP; 13:24 EV TOI/GP, 3:37 PP TOI/GP, 1:43 SH TOI/GP

Ovechkin 5-on-5 Shot Attempts/Scoring Chance Generation

Best-shooters-2020-Volume.png

Best-Shooters-2020-Location.png

Bergeron/Ovechkin Defensive Impact 5-on-5

Top-Defensive-Forwards-Individual.jpg

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This is the only PP graphic I found them on. It's misleading for Ovechkin though as Bergeron's role on the PP is playing in the slot, either bumping it out to the perimeter, or shooting on net, whereas Ovi is obviously in the Ovi spot, out of the slot. There's still overlap with High slot though (blue region compared to inner slot being green).

Top-PP-forwards-Shooters-1.png

Screen-Shot-2019-09-26-at-4.55.45-PM-1024x858.png

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Bergeron plays with Marchand (top 3 LW) and Pastrnak (top 3 RW). OV plays with Backstrom (according to HF not a top 10 C) and Wilson (a good player who fulfills his role, but obviously nowhere near the best RWs). Important to note that too.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Bergeron is the better player, but as far as accomplishments this season Ovi wins in that regard

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I voted for Ovechkin, and without much hesitation, but...

upload_2020-6-8_13-20-4.jpeg

Damn, Ovechkin is measurably among the least-involved defensive players in the entire NHL. Surprising to very few with functional eyes, but mercilessly bursting the bubble of @illpucks :naughty:

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I voted for Ovechkin, and without much hesitation, but...

View attachment 349252

Damn, Ovechkin is measurably among the least-involved defensive players in the entire NHL. Surprising to very few with functional eyes, but mercilessly bursting the bubble of @illpucks :naughty:
I mean, he stands out even from other less-involved players. He's at the bottom for loose puck recoveries and puck battle win rate, and is way at the bottom for defensive plays (pass blocks, stick checks, hits) resulting in a change of possession.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I mean, he stands out even from other less-involved players. He's at the bottom for loose puck recoveries and puck battle win rate, and is way at the bottom for defensive plays (pass blocks, stick checks, hits) resulting in a change of possession.
Yeah, I’ve always been stunned when people try to argue he’s even close to league average defensively. It’s just visibly not who he is or ever has been, and that’s fine.

The thing I really enjoy about your graphic is how it contrasts with other statistics. I’m not sure exactly what it was, but I know that Zach Aston-Reese led the league in some fashion this season. That was shocking to me, because as a Pens fan I do not think he is more than perhaps slightly above-average on the defensive side of things, and this metric shows that he is not very impressive in measurable puck recovery.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I’ve always been stunned when people try to argue he’s even close to league average defensively. It’s just visibly not who he is or ever has been, and that’s fine.

The thing I really enjoy about your graphic is how it contrasts with other statistics. I’m not sure exactly what it was, but I know that Zach Aston-Reese led the league in some fashion this season. That was shocking to me, because as a Pens fan I do not think he is more than perhaps slightly above-average on the defensive side of things, and this metric shows that he is not very impressive in measurable puck recovery.
Yeah he has really good on-ice rates, like this for example:

Best-Defensive-Forwards-On-Ice.jpg

Doesn't say what he's actually doing on the ice though though.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Ovechkin was obviously much better offensively this year - Bergeron plays with 2 of the top 5-10 forwards in the league. I guess it comes down to how people value the offence that a forward puts out vs. the defence that a forward puts out. Considering the main role of forwards is fundamentally to score, I'd give the edge to Ovi.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Ovechkin was obviously much better offensively this year - Bergeron plays with 2 of the top 5-10 forwards in the league. I guess it comes down to how people value the offence that a forward puts out vs. the defence that a forward puts out. Considering the main role of forwards is fundamentally to score, I'd give the edge to Ovi.
Both of their games are actually kind of similar for goal-scoring in terms of their reliance of getting the puck in a scoring position rather than carrying it in, at least when you look at their percentage of their total goals.

Excluding their empty netters (Ovechkin vs. Bergeron):

Goals where they received the puck in scoring position and used shot talent to beat goalies: 29-14
Goals where they carried it into scoring position or beat defenders: 10-3
Tips: 1-5
Loose puck garbage goals in front of the net: 2-4

In terms of reliance on teammates to get them the puck in a scoring spot Ovechkin has a higher percentage of goals that way: Ovechkin: 69% (29/42), Bergeron: 54% (14/26).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Both of their games are actually kind of similar for goal-scoring in terms of their reliance of getting the puck in a scoring position rather than carrying it in, at least when you look at their percentage of their total goals.

Excluding their empty netters (Ovechkin vs. Bergeron):

Goals where they received the puck in scoring position and used shot talent to beat goalies: 29-14
Goals where they carried it into scoring position or beat defenders: 10-3
Tips: 1-5
Loose puck garbage goals in front of the net: 2-4

In terms of reliance on teammates to get them the puck in a scoring spot Ovechkin has a higher percentage of goals that way: Ovechkin: 69% (29/42), Bergeron: 54% (14/26).

I think "reliance on teammates to get them the puck" undersells Ovechkin's ability to get good shots off almost regardless of pass quality. I understand the idea that he wouldn't score those goals without the pass, but realistically it's not very difficult to get the puck to Ovechkin in a spot where he can score

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think "reliance on teammates to get them the puck" undersells Ovechkin's ability to get good shots off almost regardless of pass quality. I understand the idea that he wouldn't score those goals without the pass, but realistically it's not very difficult to get the puck to Ovechkin in a spot where he can score
In terms of heavy lifting, transition, and playmaking Ovechkin does primarily act as a trigger-man though. It's more a reflection of his shot talent. That's not to underscore how dominant he is at that aspect of the game, but he does rely on receiving the puck in a spot to get it off.

Doesn't "playing with good players" underscore the offensive contribution of a 30 goal scorer?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ovechkin. I dont have this year from ovy as high as others (he wasnt a top 10 player this season for me though he is still in the 8-13 range based on previous 3 seasons) but he was still gonna put up 55 goals and 75+ points. Bergeron had a bad year offensively with his linemates dominating and being 100+ point players and he himself being on pace for less than 80 points.

Ovechkin was dominant this year on EVS. Bergeron relies heavily on his linemates for offense more so than Ovechkin. Ovechkin draws attention away from his teammates and has defenders focused on him even if he doesnt have the puck. This year beegeron was the third wheel offensively on his line.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kinda weird to write Bergeron off as a product of his wingers when all you have to do is watch him and you'd realize he is the most important part of that line.

I dont think you can just forget about who his wingers are either. This season I'm not sure he had Pasta beat when I watched them either to be honest. But I think a big part of Bergerons offense is his wingers. I think watching them play, both his wingers are better offensively than him so his offensive output should have his wingers considered for sure. Hes the MVP of that line I think youre right there, but thats because his defense is so great

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In terms of heavy lifting, transition, and playmaking Ovechkin does primarily act as a trigger-man though. It's more a reflection of his shot talent. That's not to underscore how dominant he is at that aspect of the game, but he does rely on receiving the puck in a spot to get it off.

Doesn't "playing with good players" underscore the offensive contribution of a 30 goal scorer?

I think there's a big difference though between the Richard winner who is the best offensive player on his line and a 30+ goal scorer who is the 3rd best on his. Ovechkin is the trigger-man who "relies" on his linemates to get him the puck, sure, but his shot and his ability to get open and get it off means that the quality of those linemates isn't nearly as important. Bergeron is an underrated goalscorer and overall offensive player but I don't think he could score as much being the best offensive player on his line without sacrificing his defense. I think Bergeron's overall impact makes them close in value, though hard to judge because of how wildly different they are, but Ovechkin is a significantly more valuable offensive player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad