Speculation: Who gets Ryan O'Reilly?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
FALSE

June 20th, Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News and Jason Botterill, General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres

SABRES NOT SHOPPING O’REILLY

THE BUFFALO NEWS: Mike Harrington reports Sabres GM Jason Botterill isn’t surprised by the interest of other clubs in Ryan O’Reilly, noting the center is among his team’s better players. While Botterill is getting plenty of calls, Harrington said he’s not shopping O’Reilly or any other player.

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
It makes zero sense because ROR can play wing whenever we want him to, would be a better LW than Pacioretty by a wide margin (already he gets about 5 points less than MaxPac over the course of a season, while playing the hardest shutdown minutes in the league, being as complete a 200' player as you'll find), is younger, and is locked up for longer.

If you think they're close to the same value, you don't understand anything but points.

You can play anyone on LW, doesn’t mean he’ll get you 30+ goal almost every year. ROR is not a better winger then Pacioretty. I didn’t say it would be one for one, I’m talking about how those two pierces make sense for both teams. How is it that everyone that gets paid for this stuff says that deal makes sense but when I agree, I’m wrong? This is why I stay away from posting here. Have fun.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This is FALSE.

THE BUFFALO NEWS: Mike Harrington reports Sabres GM Jason Botterill isn’t surprised by the interest of other clubs in Ryan O’Reilly, noting the center is among his team’s better players. While Botterill is getting plenty of calls, Harrington said he’s not shopping O’Reilly or any other player.

As has been reported, Botterill is shopping NO ONE. He is currently listening to those contacting him with interest in players.

He's not going to come out and say that he is. If he does, that would honestly lower Money Bags' value a little.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
FALSE

June 20th, Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News and Jason Botterill, General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres

Yeah and we’re not shopping P.K. Subban

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia

He’s a better centreman but don’t kid yourself. There’s a couple guys who have scored more goals than max over the last five years and playing with jack Eichel, 30 is minimum, closer to 40 most likely.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Could see Montreal move down to #5 with Montreal and then trade that pick to Buffalo for O’Reilly.

Could also see Buffalo adding something like San Jose’s 1st in 2019, or a prospect like Nylander if they’re down on him in exchange for #3 & Pacioretty.

Not saying Montreal would do this, but... Bergevin

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Jason Botterill doesn't strike me, or anyone else for that matter, as a liar.

Nobody is calling him a liar. He didn’t say ROR is untouchable. He said he isn’t shopping him which is common sense. If he said he was ROR’s value may take a hit and what if he can’t get the value he wants? Then you have an unhappy ROR.

GM talk.....nothing more.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
You can play anyone on LW, doesn’t mean he’ll get you 30+ goal almost every year. ROR is not a better winger then Pacioretty. I didn’t say it would be one for one, I’m talking about how those two pierces make sense for both teams. How is it that everyone that gets paid for this stuff says that deal makes sense but when I agree, I’m wrong? This is why I stay away from posting here. Have fun.
Because we're allowed to disagree with something someone got paid to say on the internet? I said nothing disrespectful to you. You know, these guys get paid to disagree with each other all the time.

Last edited:

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Is Wilde legit? I mean, I don’t really know him but he works with Grant McCagg, who I’ve only heard about from people openly mocking him...

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
He’s a better centreman but don’t kid yourself. There’s a couple guys who have scored more goals than max over the last five years and playing with jack Eichel, 30 is minimum, closer to 40 most likely.

Really, not necessarily. Without ROR playing 1C, Eichel's minutes get much harder.

ROR would get more points on Eichel's wing than Max Pac, because he at least would get them out of their own zone faster. Or, hell, move Eichel to ROR's wing. Either is better.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
why don't the sabres just keep the guy. smh.

If they can pick up a core piece who is younger from a team who wants to win now and needs a top center in their prime, it could make sense to better match Dahlin's window.

If they can get a similarly exceptional prime-aged defenseman to partner with Dahlin as he develops, that could also be worth it.

If they get a package of meh futures or older players, then why indeed.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Jason Botterill doesn't strike me, or anyone else for that matter, as a liar.

He's not really a liar, but when you're going to sell something, you don't let it be known you'll take less for it. Just like you don't let it be knowing you're "looking " to trade a player..

Maybe he's not calling teams up. He could have said he might be available to see what he might get.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Really, not necessarily. Without ROR playing 1C, Eichel's minutes get much harder.

ROR would get more points on Eichel's wing than Max Pac, because he at least would get them out of their own zone faster. Or, hell, move Eichel to ROR's wing. Either is better.
Ya sure he would.:facepalm:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He's not really a liar, but when you're going to sell something, you don't let it be known you'll take less for it. Just like you don't let it be knowing you're "looking " to trade a player..

Maybe he's not calling teams up. He could have said he might be available to see what he might get.
Thanks for the 4th grade product marketing class dad.
I kid of course, but, you must be joking if you honestly believe that crap. It's as simple as this in reality, team A wants something, team B has something. Team A has a price it is willing to pay, Team B has a price it will take. Team B doesn't have to sell said something, Team A will have to pay to get it.

3 OA or nothing. Botts would be right to ask, and stick to his guns on it, since he has no reason to trade ROR for anything less. Incentive, what is the incentive from Montreal to get Botts to move ROR? Because it sure as hell isn't Patches and a couple of 2nds.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’d keep him if I was Buffalo. That ginger Eichel is eventually going to get fed up with this pathetic organization.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Ya sure he would.:facepalm:

There's a ton of unearned confidence here in this thread for a guy who averages less points than ROR over 82 games.

The last three years, ROR averages 64 points over 82 games, playing the toughest defensive minutes in hockey, on a worse team. He played exactly one period with Eichel that anyone can recall. His most productive single offensive season was on the wing with Colorado.

Max Pac is two years older, right when forwards statistically start to decline, and averages 60 points per season over the last three, playing a far easier role. If you think it's unfair to include a 29 year old's last season in his averages, you don't get how exiting your prime works.

So yeah, ROR would probably outscore AND outdefend Pacioretty if we wanted to play him at wing. And when I say outdefend, I mean badly.

Pacioretty has less prime left, if any. He has one year versus five on the contract. So yeah, he's a non-starter, unless he's not the biggest piece in the deal.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Thanks for the 4th grade product marketing class dad.
I kid of course, but, you must be joking if you honestly believe that crap. It's as simple as this in reality, team A wants something, team B has something. Team A has a price it is willing to pay, Team B has a price it will take. Team B doesn't have to sell said something, Team A will have to pay to get it.

3 OA or nothing. Botts would be right to ask, and stick to his guns on it, since he has no reason to trade ROR for anything less. Incentive, what is the incentive from Montreal to get Botts to move ROR? Because it sure as hell isn't Patches and a couple of 2nds.

I think you're misunderstanding me..

I'm not saying buffalo is selling him, but if they are, they're not going to let it be public. I'm simply stating he's not going to tell a reporter that he has RoR on the market whether he actually does, or not.

Buffalo has every right to ask for the 3rd overall. What becomes of it we never know. I've seen the value people place on a person, or pick way more often than not differs greatly from what happens when that player, or pick is actually dealt.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Like Lebrun said Montreal's pick isn't an option in which i agree with so that means the main piece going to Buf will be Patches. Our 3rd OA stays put.
Lol. Of course that's what you'd get out of that ridiculous tweet. See I look at it and say any moron that says a player will be traded for an immensely valuable 1st round pick "or" a soon to be 30 year old winger coming off a 37 point season that's a UFA at seasons end, isn't someone who's opinion I'd take seriously. At all.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I’m not a fan of either team. I don’t understand how Patches gets ROR in a trade. ROR is much better in all areas combined impacting a game. Buffalo would probably be looking for youth or picks. The way Bergevin has been trading lately to get ROR it would be LOL in Buffalo’s favor.

Reactions: normaliswear

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
his wife.

...does he have a wife?

I assume he has a wife.

if he doesn't have a wife, then... girlfriend?

...boyfriend?

...husband?

Because, sex.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad