Speculation: Who gets Ryan O'Reilly?

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
ROR wants to leave

BS

Want to provide (non-existent) proof?

ROR said he lost his love for the game at times playing on the worst team in the league, then in the same breath said he wanted to stay and be part of the solution in Buffalo. What a shocker!

I don’t even know why I read these trash threads. The same clueless idiots make stuff up and pass it off as fact.

Here’s a summary for this thread: ROR is better than the trash that’s been offered in 95% of the trade proposals. The Sabres shouldn’t & don’t have to trade ROR, he’s signed long-term at a reasonable rate and produced good numbers while playing a defensive, shutdown role.

Go find your “at best #2 center” for trash elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabrescupbound

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Idk wtf your saying but Id much rather have all of Heiskanen, Dubois, Strome, Draisaitl, Drouin, Duchene, Toews, and Sedin on my team over ROR.

:confused: Huh? O'Reilly already had 3 full seasons under his belt by the time he was Strome's age. Heiskanen hasn't even played an NHL game. Don't even get me started on Jonathan "Trade Block" Drouin.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
I think he should end up with the Blues but I do believe we have a dark horse and for some reason I think it might be Edmonton.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Rumors that Habs' Lekhonen is in the mix for ROR. Frankly, Pacs + Lekhonen for ROR is probably an overpay by the Habs but I would do it, and I'd guess Sabres fans wouldn't due to lack of knowledge regarding Lekhonen.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
When pressed about it, Pierre McGuire said today on Montreal radio that he knows for sure that Minnesota, Carolina, Philadelphia, and Montreal are "in on" ROR. He believes that Buffalo would love to get Brady Tkachuk and could potentially overpay to get him. McGuire is well connected to Botterill (part of McGuire's group of GM friends). The clip starts at around 11:30 https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mcguire-trades-are-coming-1.1119568. Note: if on mobile, have it fullscreen to see the time.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Habs are hopefully out of the mix, but we still have reports of Carolina, Philly, Minnesota out there.

What would the offers be out of those fanbases?

Sabres would be looking for a younger core player at wing or defense, I'd imagine.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m intrigued by Minnesota popping up. Wonder what that could look like

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It is almost a foregone conclusion that Ryan O'Reilly is going to be traded this summer.

Let's say all those teams strike out on the Tavares/Stastny/Thornton UFA market, who do you think is more likely to obtain the Buffalo center via trade?

I thought of a few trade partners, all hungry for a center:

- Carolina: something around Noah Hanifin (+#65 OA in 2018)

- San Jose: something around Timo Meier (+ #21 OA in 2018)

- Montreal: something around Pacioretty (+ #34 OA in 2018, Will Bitten and Josh Brook)

- St-Louis: something around Jordan Kyrou (+ #45 OA in 2018)

Where is Ryan O'Reilly going to end up?

Carolina makes the most sense and has the assets Buffalo would want.

Dont know why Buffalo wants to move him though. Comments can always be taken back and the guy is a gamer who is the right age and vet status for many of those young players. They actually need 1-2 more vets to help their young kids move up professionally. Not getting rid of one.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Habs are hopefully out of the mix, but we still have reports of Carolina, Philly, Minnesota out there.

Sabres would be looking for a younger core player at wing or defense, I'd imagine.

What Botterill should be asking for -

Carolina - Hanifin and Lindholm
Minny - Brodin and Zucker
Philly - Provorov/Sanheim and Couturier

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’m intrigued by Minnesota popping up. Wonder what that could look like

Russo apparently said that Zucker & Nino were almost dealt in the same deal to a "bottom feeder". Other team balked on taking Ennis' contract with them.

This is all unconfirmed, obviously.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Russo apparently said that Zucker & Nino were almost dealt in the same deal to a "bottom feeder". Other team balked on taking Ennis' contract with them.

Russo is as good as gold though. Zucker is a name I certainly like seeing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

See...that's where I don't see Philly offering enough to get him.

Philly needs Sanheim and Myers to finish out the top 4. So that leaves you Hagg.

On wing, TK, Jake and Simmonds on RW. Giroux and Lindblom on LW. I don't mention a 3rd LW because we have none.

The Flyers NEED a LW this coming season and NEED a #3 C.

The only piece that could make sense is Frost because if the Flyers are adding ROR, they don't need Frost.

I just don't see a match between the teams. I am sure Hextall is trying to push picks instead.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
See...that's where I don't see Philly offering enough to get him.

Philly needs Sanheim and Myers to finish out the top 4. So that leaves you Hagg.

On wing, TK, Jake and Simmonds on RW. Giroux and Lindblom on LW. I don't mention a 3rd LW because we have none.

The Flyers NEED a LW this coming season and NEED a #3 C.

The only piece that could make sense is Frost because if the Flyers are adding ROR, they don't need Frost.

I just don't see a match between the teams. I am sure Hextall is trying to push picks instead.
Yeah, if your need is really at 3C, ROR is too rich. Find one in UFA.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Yeah, said he might have details later if he could get some more sources on it. Piecing together Russo's stream-of-consciousness podcasting style, the skeleton seemed to be something like:

Player X + Player Y

for

Nino + Zucker + Ennis

Later he went on to say that the deal was with a "bottom feeder." It sounded like at least one of the guys coming to Minnesota needed an extension, but that may have been speculative. He also seemed to think it was a pretty bad deal for Minnesota, but he's not the most reliable judge of these things. He sounded incredulous that Fenton would seriously consider trading Zucker.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No one's going to pay a top 10 pick for ROR. What's the realistic price? 22nd overall plus what player/prospect?

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
What Botterill should be asking for -

Carolina - Hanifin and Lindholm
Minny - Brodin and Zucker
Philly - Provorov/Sanheim and Couturier

Not a fan of either teams, but really? Couturier at 4.3 for 4 more years, 76 pts, Selke finalist with O'Reilly... AND Provorov or Sanheim?

I mean, you gotta realize that will not end well with these kind of trade proposal...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Not a fan of either teams, but really? Couturier at 4.3 for 4 more years, 76 pts, Selke finalist with O'Reilly... AND Provorov or Sanheim?

I mean, you gotta realize that will not end well with these kind of trade proposal...

76 pts was a huge outlier for Couturier, but again, Botterill should be starting high if a team is coming to him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah, if your need is really at 3C, ROR is too rich. Find one in UFA.
Yeah. For a team like Montreal, you are desperate for a guy like him.

For Philly, they have a guy like him that just finished 2nd in Selke voting all while posting 76 points...12 higher than RIR ever has. Then add in Patrick who projects to be a similar type guy...60 points while playing great defence.

He just is not a NEED. He would be a luxury. But time will tell.

Side note, it was reported at the deadline that Hextall said no to Sanheim +1st for pre-baggage Hoffman. So I believe Hextall is trying to extract ROR on the cheap because Hextall DOES like him as a player based on his comments after the WC a year ago.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah. For a team like Montreal, you are desperate for a guy like him.

For Philly, they have a guy like him that just finished 2nd in Selke voting all while posting 76 points...12 higher than RIR ever has. Then add in Patrick who projects to be a similar type guy...60 points while playing great defence.

He just is not a NEED. He would be a luxury. But time will tell.

Side note, it was reported at the deadline that Hextall said no to Sanheim +1st for pre-baggage Hoffman. So I believe Hextall is trying to extract ROR on the cheap because Hextall DOES like him as a player based on his comments after the WC a year ago.
I'm surprised Philly is in this, really. Maybe they're just kicking the tires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad