Speculation: Who gets Ryan O'Reilly?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
No one's going to pay a top 10 pick for ROR. What's the realistic price? 22nd overall plus what player/prospect?
#5 and down are hardly worth anything to the Sabres....compared to ROR. The best center in the draft might not even be as good. Its funny that Montreal can say that its too high while not having a center as good as ROR since???????? Idk how far back you have to go for them and converting wingers to center isn't going to cut it.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
#5 and down are hardly worth anything to the Sabres....compared to ROR. The best center in the draft might not even be as good. Its funny that Montreal can say that its too high while not having a center as good as ROR since???????? Idk how far back you have to go for them and converting wingers to center isn't going to cut it.

If I'm in Ottawa's shoes I might offer the 4th OV, but id certainly want a bigger trade involving other players, there's no way it's a 1 for 1 imo.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What Botterill should be asking for -

Carolina - Hanifin and Lindholm
Minny - Brodin and Zucker
Philly - Provorov/Sanheim and Couturier

These are ALL terrible but the Philly one is especially f***ing terrible.

Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?

You're not getting Couturier (a 25 year old 1C) or Provorov (a 21 year old 1D) in a 1 for 1 for an overpaid and older 2C.

You have to know this right?

Reactions: BernieParent

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
These are ALL terrible but the Philly one is especially ****ing terrible.

Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?

You're not getting Couturier (a 25 year old 1C) or Provorov (a 21 year old 1D) in a 1 for 1 for an overpaid and older 2C.

You have to know this right?

You failed english as a kid then right?? Read last page and try to understand how a GM should start off trade talks in this scenario.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
76 pts was a huge outlier for Couturier, but again, Botterill should be starting high if a team is coming to him.
It was an outlier, but there were also signs that this could happen even before being put on the top line.

2016-17 he ended the year with 17 points in 20 games.
2015-2016 he ended the year with 32 points in 45 games.

And keep in mind, this is all without #1 PP time. Almost all this production is at ES.

2015-2017 so ignoring this past year:

Couturier 62 points in 129 games
O'Rielly 66 points in 143 games

....not much difference at ES.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I didn't understand putting ROR's name out there in the first place if you're Buffalo, so that's probably good for them.

The idea would be that you're building your window around Dahlin. ROR will be on the other side of thirty before that window opens, probably. So if you can move him to a team that values him as a 1C that they need right now and get a future core player out of the deal, you would consider it. But it can't be a handful of meh assets, it can't be an older player someone else is trying to move on from, it has to be blue chip youth, and it may not happen. Third overall is the kind of asset it would take, and it just doesn't make sense for Montreal to be doing that when they're nowhere near competing for the cup. If it doesn't happen, maybe ROR spends the rest of his career here and moves to wing when Eichel and Mittelstadt are both in their primes. If he's not always capable of being one of the best 2-way centermen in the league, okay -- his best offensive season came on LW anyways.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The idea would be that you're building your window around Dahlin. ROR will be on the other side of thirty before that window opens, probably. So if you can move him to a team that values him as a 1C that they need right now and get a future core player out of the deal, you would consider it. But it can't be a handful of meh assets, it can't be an older player someone else is trying to move on from, it has to be blue chip youth, and it may not happen. If it doesn't, maybe ROR spends the rest of his career here and moves to wing when Eichel and Mittelstadt are both in their primes.

Never gonna take buffalo that long to get back to the dance, not in this nhl. Next year or the year after, and ror will be right in his prime for a couple of runs.

Same reason I'd want him on Ottawa. Retooling takes no time these days.

Reactions: sabremike

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It would be insulting after Couturier scores more than 39 pts in a season more than once. I agree that Philly shouldn't make that deal though...fair enough?

Or you realize that the 2 prior years were deflated by games missed, and the 76 points was his 1st opportunity as a 1st line center. He's going to be much closer to 76 than he will be to 39 going forward.

And let's not forget Provorov was included.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm really interested in whatever Minnesota is talking to Buffalo about. You know these teams do deals like every six months, and they're in a position where it makes sense to really bid high on a guy like ROR now if they think they can extend their window.

Maudite boisson

Jun 21, 2018
He's so overrated. Please berg don't give our 3OA for him (btw just created an account in case our GM does read these threads (wouldnt surprise me at all))

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm really interested in whatever Minnesota is talking to Buffalo about. You know these teams do deals like every six months, and they're in a position where it makes sense to really bid high on a guy like ROR now if they think they can extend their window.

I'm not so sure why Minny would want in on ROR, considering they have Granlund, Koivu, Staal, Eriksson Ek, and Coyle at C (not sure who they prioritize at C though). After Brodin, I'd be willing to take Ennis back to boost up the FW coming back (Zucker, Coyle?).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not so sure why Minny would want in on ROR, considering they have Granlund, Koivu, Staal, Eriksson Ek, and Coyle at C (not sure who they prioritize at C though). After Brodin, I'd be willing to take Ennis back to boost up the FW coming back (Zucker, Coyle?).

Granlund hasn't played center in over 2 years. Coyle's time at center is sporadic at best, and usually because of injury scenarios. O'Reilly would give us a bridge from 34/35 year old Staal/Koivu to 21 year old Eriksson Ek.

That would be rationale.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Couturier's been a better 5v5 player than O'Reilly for the past 3 years now.
cool would like to see that replicated under the situation Buffalo's forwards are put in like said before almost everybody on the Sabres 5v5 scoring is going to bad because the team sucked and had no one to play with the core players. Imagine a lot of players outscore Eichel 5v5 that I definitely wouldn't trade for knowing they would have to drag around the plugs the Sabres like to stick with them. The team's been dead to near last in scoring for several seasons now. Kane had trouble scoring with the Sabres plugs the second he moved away from Eichel and Sam couldn't get anything the first quarter of the season when he was stuck on the 3rd line with absolutely nobody. Add in a terrible defensive core and horrible goaltending and its a situation no can thrive in but the goats.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
cool would like to see that replicated under the situation Buffalo's forwards are put in like said before almost everybody on the Sabres 5v5 scoring is going to bad because the team sucked and had no one to play with the core players. Imagine a lot of players outscore Eichel 5v5 that I definitely wouldn't trade for knowing they would have to drag around the plugs the Sabres like to stick with them. The team's been dead to near last in scoring for several seasons now. Kane had trouble scoring with the Sabres plugs the second he moved away from Eichel and Sam couldn't get anything the first quarter of the season when he was stuck on the 3rd line with absolutely nobody. Add in a terrible defensive core and horrible goaltending and its a situation no can thrive in but the goats.

Again, Couturier hasn't had it much better prior to this season

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Again, Couturier hasn't had it much better prior to this season
oh yeah I forgot when the Flyers were bottom feeders.....I think you underestimate the ineptitude of the Sabres to find quality depth instead of having a bunch of overpaid wingers that are essentially cap dumps. I don't understand how they can be compared when the Flyers have clearly had a better team all around every season. You think Couterier is + player on the Sabres because that's what you are implying here and I don't see anybody but McDavid or Crosby doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad