Post-Game Talk: Who else had to redo their narratives tonight?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought the winger switch was bang on. On the Draisaitl goal you saw worker bees Foegele and McLeod create a turnover with their forecheck and the puck squirts out to the elite scorer who buries it with an otherworldly backhand. As a short-term fix, Draisaitl with two guys who play with speed and can forecheck to help get him pucks in the kill zone can help get line 2 going.

Kane's taking a lot of optional practices off. Speculation that somethings not right there. Hopefully Holloway can get back in and add another big, fast and aggressive forecheck option for line three.
Yes, they helped Drai get the goal, but otherwise, their play was substandard. A ton of giveaways in the neutral zone and the dzone, especially by Foegele, who had a bad game. There has to be something up with Kane. But with the way he is doling out some big hits, you wonder where the issue is. The puck just keeps dying on his stick.
And hopefully Holloway can stay healthy for more than a couple weeks when he does come back.:D

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
What Drai needs to do when the puck isn't working and his linemates are Joe Player and Late Era Ethan Moreau is make sure he doesn't do his fly-bys on D and his lazy drop passes.

Those are all on Drai. I care less about the offence coming given that Kane has fallen off a cliff, Brown is a skating Crash Test Dummy, etc. Just give your effort in the DZ.

But yeah McDavid-Nuge-Hyman with Ekholm-Bouchard is something else. Maybe the closest I've seen to the 80s Oilers.
100%. If Drai commits to a more responsible game on a consistent basis things will start going better for him offensively as well. Him and Kane have the ability to run hockey games, it’s absolutely ridiculous that we’re even talking about Kane and Draisaitl not being able to produce together because of Connor Brown or whoever else is on that line. These guys can both make a play and they can both be one shot scorers. This is a formidable pair, they should be 2/3 of the hardest line in hockey, they’re aggressive, physical, and down right dirty at times, they can both defend well when they want to, they just have to pull their heads out of their asses.

I’d love to see them try Bourgault with them for 5-6 games, I think he’d compliment that pair well.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yes, they helped Drai get the goal, but otherwise, their play was substandard. A ton of giveaways in the neutral zone and the dzone, especially by Foegele, who had a bad game. There has to be something up with Kane. But with the way he is doling out some big hits, you wonder where the issue is. The puck just keeps dying on his stick.
And hopefully Holloway can stay healthy for more than a couple weeks when he does come back.:D
This is a short-term 'fix.' Agree, Foegele had one very bad own zone play that stood out for me where he had a clear carry at their own blue line and instead dropped a soft pizza to no one back in their own zone. But I think it still worthwhile to try to kickstart Line 2 with the speed and forecheck work those two can do and stronger tendency to dish pucks to the more skilled guy. And push opposing defences back with speed.

I'm looking forward to Holloway back.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I thought the winger switch was bang on. On the Draisaitl goal you saw worker bees Foegele and McLeod create a turnover with their forecheck and the puck squirts out to the elite scorer who buries it with an otherworldly backhand. As a short-term fix, Draisaitl with two guys who play with speed and can forecheck to help get him pucks in the kill zone can help get line 2 going.

Kane's taking a lot of optional practices off. Speculation that somethings not right there. Hopefully Holloway can get back in and add another big, fast and aggressive forecheck option for line three.

Wasn’t paying much attention after the 1st as 3 of our kids and their better halves were over as we’re celebrating Christmas early tomorrow and today was our Christmas Eve. Was watching but lots of visiting and laughing going on.

Who was on the third and 4th lines for the 3rd period? I assume KK goes back to the winning lines tomorrow assuming Ryan and Gagner can go.

(Note my daughter still doesn’t have a better half. Applications are being taken except for @Cloned )

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Something is off with him mentally. I know that he's generally stoic but watching him on that 4th goal celebration (which was a big goal), he was just like.... whatever.
Maybe it's the linemates (RWer), maybe it's the fact that the team has a steep uphill climb just to get into the playoffs and any joy he had was extinguished or maybe it's just his annual not giving a shit around the holidays mentality, but he seems extra pouty this season and I say this as one of his biggest fans.
Maybe he's being held accountable. Since the new coach came the biggest takeaway is that Drai can't find a role to help the team outside the pp.

This first line was always the first line. And the second line is bleeding goals because there is no defensive structure. Drai should be able to lead a line of AHLer's to not bleed goals.

The beginning of last season Drai was much worse than now, but he was scoring. Under the new coach the oilers aren't hiding it anymore. They are letting Drai swim in it imo

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
100%. If Drai commits to a more responsible game on a consistent basis things will start going better for him offensively as well. Him and Kane have the ability to run hockey games, it’s absolutely ridiculous that we’re even talking about Kane and Draisaitl not being able to produce together because of Connor Brown or whoever else is on that line. These guys can both make a play and they can both be one shot scorers. This is a formidable pair, they should be 2/3 of the hardest line in hockey, they’re aggressive, physical, and down right dirty at times, they can both defend well when they want to, they just have to pull their heads out of their asses.

I’d love to see them try Bourgault with them for 5-6 games, I think he’d compliment that pair well.
id rather they try Lavoie with them.

That could be a big strong line, with 3 guys who can score.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Wasn’t paying much attention after the 1st as 3 of our kids and their better halves were over as we’re celebrating Christmas early tomorrow and today was our Christmas Eve. Who was on the third and 4th lines for the 3rd period? I assume KK goes back to the winning lines tomorrow assuming Ryan and Gagner can go.

(Note my daughter still doesn’t have a better half.)
I'm not sure it kinda got blendered including Gagner getting hurt. I'm out of the broadcast viewing area so my 'workaround' is to watch on my phone. The obvious for me was the Kane and McLeod switch.

Do figure they come back with same lines but wonder about Gagner. Hope it's not his jaw.

Happy early Christmas to you and your family.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Also scariest thing tonight was Stauffer saying the oilers needed to use picks to get a top 6er

WTF. We need a goalie, and hard to play against skaters, not scoring. This is the same mistake we just made. I'm going to lose my mind if we use up 1st rounds pick on offense
Drafting a goalie now isn't going to help us in the interim. He'd likely be 3-4 years away at best. Their best bet IMO is to get another teams prospect who is just about ready to play in the bigs.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Also scariest thing tonight was Stauffer saying the oilers needed to use picks to get a top 6er

WTF. We need a goalie, and hard to play against skaters, not scoring. This is the same mistake we just made. I'm going to lose my mind if we use up 1st rounds pick on offense
Agree. This team need to fortify from the back end out. Goaltending has rocketed to a must happen imperative. I'd still upgrade with a top 4 RD. Beyond that stretching Santa's Wishlist beyond likelihood a 3C upgrade would be valuable. This team has a prospective ripe internal RW option they need to test-drive with Lavoie. Easiest and cheapest find at trade deadline are wingers.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think they need a legit RW.

They also need another C especially if they are thinking of playing McLeod as a LW.

I think they need a RD upgrade on Ceci. Someone who moves the puck better but is still good defensively. I honestly think this is the hardest hole to fill because there just isn’t very many solid RD.

And of course goaltending. The goaltending is such a damn mess accross the league that I am not sure what the target should be. They need to do something though. I think moving Campbells contract should be a priority because the cap space gives the team all kinds of options. But at some point, if the cost is too high asset wise, it’s easier to just buy him out.

No idea what they will do. But their situation is a mess. And honestly I don’t have much faith that Jackson will figure it out.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lavoie hasn't had the chance to play a game under Knob, right? He was sent down right around he was hired?
2 games.
14:28 5on5 ice time, 0gf/1ga, 17.65 xGF%

Oddly enough since Knob has been hired, Erne has the best gf%.
7 games, 55:43 played, 5gf/2ga.

People seem to hate erne, but hes doing more than probably should be expected of him.

Hamblin also a solid 8gf/5ga in 17 games with 134:31 of ice time. <--- by far the best callup we've had this year.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
2 games.
14:28 5on5 ice time, 0gf/1ga, 17.65 xGF%

Oddly enough since Knob has been hired, Erne has the best gf%.
7 games, 55:43 played, 5gf/2ga.

People seem to hate erne, but hes doing more than probably should be expected of him.

Hamblin also a solid 8gf/5ga in 17 games with 134:31 of ice time. <--- by far the best callup we've had this year.
Ah yeah, that rings a bell.

That was in my checked-out phase of the year.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

They need both. Shopping list is unfortunately the exact same as it was last year: top 6 forward, top 4 defenseman, and a goalie. The issue is exacerbated by Kane usually looking like he's not a legit top 6 forward anymore, along with Brown being a colossal miss and guys like Holloway still not taking a step.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Significantly on the play though Drai doesn't get a pass, it isn't a pass, and the only pass on his stick all night, (one) was on the PP. I come into the thread and people saying Drai should be able to play with this. How do you produce a drop when your linemates are making horrible plays and passes? Kane and Foegele were so bad today it was like they were drunk. As I stated earlier Janmark missed DRai by 5 feet on a side to the goal chance. Drai probably cashes that. He's frustrated because his wingers can't make a single play.

Drai is not getting fed. He's a rocket richard winner, MVP winner and he's not getting zilch for quality feeds at EV. At some point ANY superstar would be fed up or at least frustrated with that. Whenever theres a chance to get DRai the puck in an area its a blown play, a bad pass, Foegele shot right into a block on the GA when Drai was banging stick for a dump, to where he was behind the goal line. Thats all he needed there and wanted there, to establish behind net. Foegele doesnt' even notice and shoots into a block. This is the nature of tunnel vision player Drai is working with.

McLeod was the best linemate Drai had tonight and he only had him for one period and got him the 2nd goal. That should give ample pause for effect. Almost anybody on this board was trading McLeod for doggy biscuits just yesterday..

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Significantly on the play though Drai doesn't get a pass, it isn't a pass, and the only pass on his stick all night, (one) was on the PP. I come into the thread and people saying Drai should be able to play with this. How do you produce a drop when your linemates are making horrible plays and passes? Kane and Foegele were so bad today it was like they were drunk. As I stated earlier Janmark missed DRai by 5 feet on a side to the goal chance. Drai probably cashes that. He's frustrated because his wingers can't make a single play.

Drai is not getting fed. He's a rocket richard winner, MVP winner and he's not getting zilch for quality feeds at EV. At some point ANY superstar would be fed up or at least frustrated with that. Whenever theres a chance to get DRai the puck in an area its a blown play, a bad pass, Foegele shot right into a block on the GA when Drai was banging stick for a dump, to where he was behind the goal line. Thats all he needed there and wanted there, to establish behind net. Foegele doesnt' even notice and shoots into a block. This is the nature of tunnel vision player Drai is working with.

McLeod was the best linemate Drai had tonight. That should give ample pause for effect. Almost anybody on this board was trading McLeod for biscuits just yesterday..
Foegele had lots of tape to tape passes.

Just to the wrong team, this guy has 1 good play and thinks hes McDavid so hes trying all this fancy shit when he should just keep it simple. The amount of giveaway passes in the neutral zone that Foegele had tonight shoulda earned him a seat on the bench.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Erne finally did what Connor Brown has been unable to do all season long.
Connor Brown told him to score that way....

inside joke

Foegele had lots of tape to tape passes.

Just to the wrong team, this guy has 1 good play and thinks hes McDavid so hes trying all this fancy shit when he should just keep it simple. The amount of giveaway passes in the neutral zone that Foegele had tonight shoulda earned him a seat on the bench.
Yep. Just keep it simple, rote plays, dumps, basic cycles. Its all he has to do with Drai. he doesn't unpack that, Foegele sees flashing highlights in his head where he's the superstar goal scorer. Its like the guy thinks he's McDavid trying to pull off passes and plays he just doesn't make.

Its the thing with Gagner for instance. take the play that is there. Whether thats a shot on net or a pass take advantage of that.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Just watched the goals. That first jersey goal....

Have been praising him, but I think it was half his fault. Nurse needs to close that gap against the NJ shooter. I can't tell who was slow on the backcheck, but that guy could have got to him too. Maybe Drai?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mcdavid though even when frustrated, can drive himself to try to play through it. Draisaitl just tends to go into a shell.

When both players are at their peak, there isn't much that separates them. Draisaitl's lows are just way lower though.
The other aspect is that when McD turns it on no other player, no other mortal stands close to him. I say this because Drai is constantly compared to the greatest player on earth and thats always going to turn out second fiddle. Drai would be the best player on 20-25 teams in the league and nobody would be complaining about his play every day, every thread.

Drai is currently being the Defensive 2nd line forward playing with mostly substandard players, he's getting the D zone starts, all the hard work, all the heavy lifting, and he's scored in each game on the road trip and I tune into the thread and the #1 topic, like usual, is how much better Drai should be. I dunno.

Reactions: Duke74

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Screenshot 2023-12-21 225153.png

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just watched the goals. That first jersey goal....

Have been praising him, but I think it was half his fault. Nurse needs to close that gap against the NJ shooter. I can't tell who was slow on the backcheck, but that guy could have got to him too. Maybe Drai?
Wasn't that the goal where idiot Foegele shot right into a screen instead of making the dump behind goal line play Drai wanted? All of the turnover tonight on the Drai line were when his team mates refused to make the simple cycle play or get pucks deep. Foegele in this game, in the 3rd period actually passed the puck behind into his own zone, no look, nobody was there. Foegele actually did that. On a deeper club Foegele would've been benched, again.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

McLeod was the best linemate Drai had tonight. That should give ample pause for effect. Almost anybody on this board was trading McLeod for biscuits just yesterday..
Yup, I know it wasn't a pass. But it resulted from a strong, aggressive forecheck by them. McLeod and Foegele are third line players but short-term can help Draisailt with speed, forecheck and willingness to defer to skill. Help backoff defences to give Draisaitl more space to operate and do the board work to feed him kill zone shots. Help also speed up the tempo for Draisaitl to play at.

Moving McLeod to wing most definitely helped his game too. Less responsibility as a winger than centre and can defer to Draisaitl while playing a more simple up and down game at wing. He had a great game tonight. That's the frustrating thing - we all see the flashes of what he might be but also see the extended periods where he drifts with soft, perimeter play. Maybe playing against his brother also helped bring out his quality game.

I'm not one to buy into the body language stuff around Draisaitl. Guy's a warrior and a team-first guy. Personally think his frustration is more inward based always believing and wanting to help carry this team through his own play. Burns with that elite intensity to win. And that he's bought in to the greater team need to complement McDavid as a 2C with a power forward game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad