Post-Game Talk: Who else had to redo their narratives tonight?

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Was at this game with my 3 year-old. Sam Gagner came right over during warmups and tossed him a puck, and one of the oilers' coaches sent a puck over as well. Magical night for the kid. I bitch and moan about this team on here but there are quite a few classy people in the organization...

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Wish he would have said that Jack is a generational diver, and then walked away.

Extremely strange question. The reaction from Mcdavid is also hilarious.

That being said I honestly don’t think Jack Hughes is as big of a diver as people think.

I feel like he just has odd edge control, and is also weak as a 13 year old girl. He is a great skater and skilled player, but it is perplexing how often he falls, even without contact.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Very good post, thanks for this one.

Gretzky was better, and I've seen both infinitely. Connor has the best athleticism but he doesn't come close to Gretz surgical precision. Gretz was an unstoppable force in his on days and nothing stopped it. Connor can be stopped or stymied by good clubs.

The players are very different. Gretz was much more the tactician exploiting any weaknesses in the enemy and finding ways to exploit even when there was no weakness. Gretz developed so many facets to rule on ice. He was a marvel. A once ever. All this and he played his career without todays improved equipment, improved skates, and advanced Carbon Graphite sticks.

Connor is the blow the doors off fella. Far less subtle but more explosive edges. Gretz was no slouch at this either and would dance on skates in any direction while making complex plays. Connor wants to use speed and quick starts to exploit and score. Gretz used them to create open ice, separation, and to either score or devise a trap.

In talking about Wayne Gretzky important to mention that his game was so involved, so predatory that he would actually look at the glass to see where everybody is on ice. who does that? Todays Plexiglass and lighting would make it even easier for Gretz to do that. Gretz would play the game like chess knowing where the pieces are and what exploits were open given a particular positional setup of pieces. Gretz played the game, in real time, as if he had the video from directly above and with all camera angles. This is what he processed when he played. Nobody else like it.
Great description, we were so lucky to watch that team and I don’t think we really knew it. He was so brilliant in his execution on ice and you have described it very well. The one thing I lament is back then the lack of televised games and not being able to watch much of that mastery even now.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Skinner has erased breakaways as well but his good moments gets lost in all the vitriol (for the player) on here.
You are way over inflating Pickard.
He is a soon to be 32 year old borderline NHL goalie who might be able to give the Oilers 15 games this season. He has no NHL future in front of him and I certainly hope that Holland is a lot more realistic about what Pickard brings to the table because this team needs to solve its goaltending issue.

In the short term I do think that Pickards puck handling and his experience are very helpful (an upgrade on Skinner for sure) and I would like to see him used more. I think that his experience helps calm his game down but I do see his limitations as well.
I just dont want Pickard to be an option any further than late January/early Feb.
Agreed. Let's not get carried away with Pickard. Glad he's getting yet another chance and wish him every success, but it's mostly because the others have shit the bed more than incredible play from him. He's had his moments but he's basically been an AHL goalie his entire career for a reason.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Great description, we were so lucky to watch that team and I don’t think we really knew it. He was so brilliant in his execution on ice and you have described it very well. The one thing I lament is back then the lack of televised games and not being able to watch much of that mastery even now.
Tbh I knew it. I first heard of Gretz when he, and I (same age) were 12. Thats when the dream started of seeing the best ever eventually play in the greatest game on Earth, in the greatest league, team on Earth. It was all dream like when we acquired him in the WHA and me and my friends, we were going to those games. We were living high going to games seeing the greatest player on Earth for 3 dollar tickets from the Hudsons bay club. If we were feeling particularly rich we'd share a pizza at Coliseum Steak house post game and marvel at Gretz latest exploits.

Reactions: Biltmore

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Extremely strange question. The reaction from Mcdavid is also hilarious.

That being said I honestly don’t think Jack Hughes is as big of a diver as people think.

I feel like he just has odd edge control, and is also weak as a 13 year old girl. He is a great skater and skilled player, but it is perplexing how often he falls, even without contact.
This might be true, but the guy's nickname is snow pants.
Wish he would have said that Jack is a generational diver, and then walked away.
That would have been a "Mickey Mouse organization" esque comment.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Regarding the game....hell of a come back for sure. Didnt see that happening.
This team is still way too unpredictable dfensively. Pickard was okay.
No better or worse than Skinner but 'okay' should be good enough for now if the team could manage to play consistent defence.
Interesting that they didnt take a penalty in this game...that doesnt happen often and it obviously helped. So did the aggressive forecheck. Similar to how NJ plays so they were getting a little of their own medicine and it was very effective.
If they can manage to put together another game like that against the Rangers tonight then the 3 game losing skid becomes much less of a problem.

EDIT: Cant beleive that i didnt mention McLeod in this post...one of the best games of his Oilers career. Keep him on Drais wing for a at least 20 games.

I think Hyman was lucky he didn’t get a penalty on the McDavid goal.

I think the refs were trying to game management but then NJ went up 3-2. And then the game was over in a minute.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Hyman was lucky he didn’t get a penalty on the McDavid goal.

I think the refs were trying to game management but then NJ went up 3-2. And then the game was over in a minute.
Yeah...that was borderline for sure.
I actually really like that about Hymans game...he creates havoc and if he gets the odd penalty thats fine by me. :D

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Reminiscing about watching Gretzky, McDavid reminds me of him in a way, that there are 11 other guys out there, and only one does what he does. McDavid when he is on, is not really stoppable. This year he hasn't been on every night.

Gretzky also had the benefit of having a coach that would encourage him to put up more points if he could. Today's game, blowing a team out and not putting your stars out much is more of a thing.

Gretzky had vision so far better than any other player and could see plays developing that others didn't. It was amazing to watch.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Skinner has erased breakaways as well but his good moments gets lost in all the vitriol (for the player) on here.
You are way over inflating Pickard.
He is a soon to be 32 year old borderline NHL goalie who might be able to give the Oilers 15 games this season. He has no NHL future in front of him and I certainly hope that Holland is a lot more realistic about what Pickard brings to the table because this team needs to solve its goaltending issue.

In the short term I do think that Pickards puck handling and his experience are very helpful (an upgrade on Skinner for sure) and I would like to see him used more. I think that his experience helps calm his game down but I do see his limitations as well.
I just dont want Pickard to be an option any further than late January/early Feb.
Pickard is not an answer. I haven't framed it that way at all. But he is presently here, and he's better than Stuart Skinner now, and we should be using him now until we find a goaltending solution.

Skinner has NOT erased breakaways. The one time he attempted to do that this season was the worst clown show play of the season by a goalie. It was on all the blooper highlight reels. Skinner is a fantastic disaster outside of net. Worst I've seen, worse even than Koskinen out of net play.

The other game, on this road trip Skinner goes back of net to stop up a routine dump. It was a slow moving puck. It got right through him and squirted out the other side. Only reason it didn't result in a dangerous scoring chance is opponent had changed lines. . Skinner just reacted as though "oh well, that happened" Both benches of course saw it. of course blood was smelled by the opponent. Skinner makes bush leagues mistakes that shouldn't even be in the NHL.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Hockey in Gretzkys era was much different then it is today. Every re-run ive watched from the 80s was pretty ugly hockey. Guys could hardly complete a tape-tape pass

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hockey in Gretzkys era was much different then it is today. Every re-run ive watched from the 80s was pretty ugly hockey. Guys could hardly complete a tape-tape pass
Boo this man.

Even Oilers afternoon practices at WEM was like watching Edmonton version of Red Army. Lightning fast breakouts, crisp passes, all executed beyond speed of what other clubs could muster in actual games. Its a dead shame so many games were lost becuase VHS is such a shit format, and most tapes don't play anymore, and that ITV taped over vast majority of games they televised and had. Man, they could sell seasonal DVD's of those games, one a season, throughout the decade and people would buy it. The Oilers were excellent. Mostly an unstoppable force.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was at this game with my 3 year-old. Sam Gagner came right over during warmups and tossed him a puck, and one of the oilers' coaches sent a puck over as well. Magical night for the kid. I bitch and moan about this team on here but there are quite a few classy people in the organization...
Could’ve lost ten nothing and still a good night. This is great to hear

This might be true, but the guy's nickname is snow pants.

That would have been a "Mickey Mouse organization" esque comment.
So was gagner

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Reminiscing about watching Gretzky, McDavid reminds me of him in a way, that there are 11 other guys out there, and only one does what he does. McDavid when he is on, is not really stoppable. This year he hasn't been on every night.

Gretzky also had the benefit of having a coach that would encourage him to put up more points if he could. Today's game, blowing a team out and not putting your stars out much is more of a thing.

Gretzky had vision so far better than any other player and could see plays developing that others didn't. It was amazing to watch.
Gretzky was never on every night either

Well I’ll eat A and W for the celebration

Mushroom Swiss

Then vodka

Then sex

Maybe get turned down
Even your hand is turning on our down now?

• Haha
Reactions: tardigrade81

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gretzky was never on every night either

Gretzky wouldn't be able to be "on" every night in the modern era anyway. The goaltending, defence, and coaching strategy is night and day better from the 80s.

80s goaltending and D, I'm just gonna be honest would be like modern day ECHL/maaaaaybe AHL level, imagine putting McDavid against ECHL or AHL goalies and D ... he'd murder those guys.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Because McDavid's game requires more of a physical commitment and energy level, it is harder to produce night in night out. And I didn't say Gretz was on every night...but I would suggest his skills translated on a nightly basis better.
Just go cheer for the flames already

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Gretzky wouldn't be able to be "on" every night in the modern era anyway. The goaltending, defence, and coaching strategy is night and day better from the 80s.

80s goaltending and D, I'm just gonna be honest would be like modern day ECHL/maaaaaybe AHL level, imagine putting McDavid against ECHL or AHL goalies and D ... he'd murder those guys.

Just go cheer for the flames already
What the f*** are you even talking about? Comparing Gretzky and McDavid has nothing to do with the Flames. You must have bumped your head somewhere. Some of us have been die hard since the 80s.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad