Post-Game Talk: Who else had to redo their narratives tonight?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
agree.

"big, lazy, slow" "just floats around" :rolleyes:

It gets exhausting to constantly defend the player to Oiler fans who don't appreciate nor understand his methodical style of play.

imo pairing him with Brown has been a big part of his dip this season. His past production w/ Foegle was good, and this games production once he was paired with McLeod & Foegle was right there.
Yeah and the other game the virtual minute he gets with RNH he scores a goal. There has to be somebody playing with Drai capable of even making a pass or play. Mcleod is the very interesting stretch option. He's not there to make the plays but to get to pucks. That saves Drai some of the skating, allows Drai to be able to pace better, and allows him to setup in spots after McLeod has established or got to pucks. But there has to be a reasonable 2nd on that line and Foegele, sorry, he ain't it. Foegele is really bad at passing and cycle and he was awful last night.

AS I pointed out earlier Drai scored despite nobody getting him the puck on the play. Drai scored because he picked a play and its about the only way he's getting a dangerous look on goal with the kind of players he's been playing with. Drai needs one winger that can find him, and pass him the puck competently. It doesn't have to be any phenomenal player, and it can even be Gagner some nights. But the third would have to be pace Mcleod. McLeod defers, Foegele does not as much. Foegele loses pucks a lot making stupid plays. Like he did on the GA that trapped everybody high.

I honestly didn't remember the scouting report on McLeod, but Yaremchuk was saying a friend that was scouting in the AHL said the biggest knock is he is afraid to get into the tough areas. I mean if the guy isn't doing that in junior what are the odds he'll ever do that at the NHL level?
Why would we be specifically saying this in a game right after he scored two goals going to the net and being around the net. jebus, A requirement of posting could be actually watching the games or even knowing what occurred. In general I can understand a comment like this. I sure can't understand it in a PGT reviewing this game. Maybe Hfboard could initiate a PGT check in that requires posters to click a box saying they actually watched the game. ;)

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah and the other game the virtual minute he gets with RNH he scores a goal. There has to be somebody playing with Drai capable of even making a pass or play. Mcleod is the very interesting stretch option. He's not there to make the plays but to get to pucks. That saves Drai some of the skating, allows Drai to be able to pace better, and allows him to setup in spots after McLeod has established or got to pucks. But there has to be a reasonable 2nd on that line and Foegele, sorry, he ain't it. Foegele is really bad at passing and cycle and he was awful last night.

AS I pointed out earlier Drai scored despite nobody getting him the puck on the play. Drai scored because he picked a play and its about the only way he's getting a dangerous look on goal with the kind of players he's been playing with. Drai needs one winger that can find him, and pass him the puck competently. It doesn't have to be any phenomenal player, and it can even be Gagner some nights. But the third would have to be pace Mcleod. McLeod defers, Foegele does not as much. Foegele loses pucks a lot making stupid plays. Like he did on the GA that trapped everybody high.

Why would we be specifically saying this in a game right after he scored two goals going to the net and being around the net. jebus, A requirement of posting could be actually watching the games or even knowing what occurred. In general I can understand a comment like this. I sure can't understand it in a PGT reviewing this game. Maybe Hfboard could initiate a PGT check in that requires posters to click a box saying they actually watched the game. ;)

Agree with this. A young playmaking Gagner would be a great complement to Drai... he's still ok, but the lack of pace is sometimes problematic. The third guy would have to be shit disturber... another Hyman type would be perfect or Kane, when he's going is great. Drai just needs one more guy that can make a dangle, not with the purpose of beating his man, but with the purpose of opening a seam... and then smart enough to move into the next gap.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agree with this. A young playmaking Gagner would be a great complement to Drai... he's still ok, but the lack of pace is sometimes problematic. The third guy would have to be shit disturber... another Hyman type would be perfect or Kane, when he's going is great. Drai just needs one more guy that can make a dangle, not with the purpose of beating his man, but with the purpose of opening a seam... and then smart enough to move into the next gap.
Since the hip surgeries Gagner has added a step. he's not going to be the first to pucks here but he's been very effective at battle in areas where the team is already challenging on forecheck. He's a 2nd in guy, and with Drai slotting into areas or sealing the boards. Sometimes it works. On nights when Gagner is on he should be elevated. hes up and down that way. Some nights Sam just doesn't have it. Obviously did again last night. But the key with Gagner, especially the on nights is his skill on puck in Ozone and ability to make plays and see whats there. He's our cheap version of play anywhere fill. The swiss army knife. Interesting that Gagner has become that. of course Nuge is that but an elite version. As others have stated we need to keep Nuge with McD for the time period.

Reactions: Biltmore

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Exactly. At this point, all we need is average. If we had average goaltending, we wouldn’t be this bad in the win/loss column. We have had so much worse than average so far this season but are still so close to the playoff hunt. We’ll get there eventually!

It’s a long season, we know that. There’s a ton of ground to make up but some of us know we’re capable and will make the playoffs in the end. Without a better goalie however, we aren’t going anywhere.

If we get even average goaltending, which we haven’t had, we’re a playoff team. If we trade for just an average or OMG a better than average goalie, I truly believe we are a contender. Not that we don’t have other holes, but with our elite PP and offensive game with Drai and McD, we really are unique. We’ve been terrible this year but I really think we are close to doing some damage in the end.
At this point until we get a goalie theres ample reason to just play Pickard every 2nd game while he's obviously being better than Skinner every game he's played. Then hope that Skinner can do enough in games where the Oilers dominate. If we can stagger through a bit longer and our management wake up and find something the job now for the team is to stay somehow in the hunt. Just to stay alive. Hardship can build good habits that pay dividends. The Oilers essentially with Skinner in net are playing at least 1 goal behind to start each game. Its how many bad goals he gives up or rebounds making goals.

Pickard is experienced and at least has competent skills. He is at least facsimile of what NHl skills in net should look like. Most posters don't even comment that Pickard saved a breakaway last night, and he was ligntning fast doing it. An impeccable play, and people don't even notice.

Reactions: Biltmore and subnet

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
But as I stated Mcleod NEEDS toi to untrack. needs more roles and expectations. Throw more at him and he does more. Its like Booch in that regard without the weapons. But Booch will try out more plays given more minutes. Booch was incredible again in this game, what a player. He's an allstar now and possibility of superstar. Back to McLeod he also tries different shakes, cuts, circles the more time he's given. Its hard to explain but the more footprints he has on a game with minutes, the better he is. All the McLeods are like this. These are players that grew up playing ALL the minutes. They are throwbacks, the way they play is throw pucks out on a lake and skate miles. Ryan McLeod needs roles like a fish needs water.

This is why I want more looks particularly with Drai, and that the speed and Ryans ability to find open areas benefits Drai as it gives him a cycle target and it gives him a guy that will be first to pucks. McLeods game was completely stymied by Woodcroft and we might now see an awakening. Not noted nearly enough was Woody was very impatient with mistakes and would frequently allocate minutes away from players making them (although he played favorites) but mistakes are required to learn. Look again how Booch game is exploding under KK and Coffey. Its like a next tier has been triggered. The constant matra is "you are here to make plays, so make plays" that is so much more refreshing then a stop making any mistakes approach, which is antithetical to hockey.
Okay but he's a 14+ minute toi the past couple of years. His usage is within 15 seconds under Woodcroft and under Knoblauch. If anything Knoblauch might be trimming a week bit of PK time with addition of Brown and more discipline with set pairs. Onboarded the first years with just under 13 minute toi. The Oil have given him pretty steady employment and responsibilities early (unlike most of their green bananas). He's been trusted with PK time going back to his onboarding time.

I'm a huge fan and advocate for centre wing versatility as a major competitive advantage for this team. And I like McLeod well enough but there's still wild inconsistencies in his game. Short-term he is a great adrenaline add to help Line 2 go. Have said that in all my posts in this thread. Don't buy the Bouchard comparison given that forwards onboard and impact far quicker. Bouchard was an elite pedigree pick who took off when given first PP time and responsibility and aided by an elite stabilizing partner in Ekholm.

Just see this as a player thing (going back to junior scouting reports on his tendencies) than a coaching/deployment. We see glimpses of what this player can be. Ironing that out to do so consistently must be driven from inside.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I honestly didn't remember the scouting report on McLeod, but Yaremchuk was saying a friend that was scouting in the AHL said the biggest knock is he is afraid to get into the tough areas. I mean if the guy isn't doing that in junior what are the odds he'll ever do that at the NHL level?
Players are what they are. I mean they obviously do evolve but when you ask a permieter player to change his game into a player that gets his nose dirty you might temporarily get that but ultimatly the player doesnt change.
I think with McLeod speed is obviously his biggest strength. If he can use that speed to get on top of players and strip the puck its less of a grind along the boards. He doesnt have to play a heavy game...he just needs to take away time and space. He can do that.
In addition for him to not have the responsibility of a centre really helps his game. As a winger the game becomes simplified and he becomes much more effective. Its RNH all over again from that respect.
Also....carrying the puck and gaining the zone is something he is really good at. His speed creates space and that really helps Draisaitl and his game...especially off the rush.

I hope Knoblauch leaves McLeod on Drais wing for at least 20 games and see where it goes. I dont care if the other winger is Foegele or Kane. All 3 are left handed but playing one of them on their off wing shouldnt be an issue. As a matter of fact for a shooter like Kane it would be helpful because playing on the off wing offers a better shooting angle.

I think that Foegele is a better option right now just because kane seems to really be struggling. The play is dying on his sticj far too often.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Okay but he's a 14+ minute toi the past couple of years. His usage is within 15 seconds under Woodcroft and under Knoblauch. If anything Knoblauch might be trimming a week bit of PK time with addition of Brown and more discipline with set pairs. Onboarded the first years with just under 13 minute toi. The Oil have given him pretty steady employment and responsibilities early (unlike most of their green bananas). He's been trusted with PK time going back to his onboarding time.

I'm a huge fan and advocate for centre wing versatility as a major competitive advantage for this team. And I like McLeod well enough but there's still wild inconsistencies in his game. Short-term he is a great adrenaline add to help Line 2 go. Have said that in all my posts in this thread. Don't buy the Bouchard comparison given that forwards onboard and impact far quicker. Bouchard was an elite pedigree pick who took off when given first PP time and responsibility and aided by an elite stabilizing partner in Ekholm.

Just see this as a player thing (going back to junior scouting reports on his tendencies) than a coaching/deployment. We see glimpses of what this player can be. Ironing that out to do so consistently must be driven from inside.
I'm not comparing the players, obviously, just saying more greenlighting of players making plays is going on. The D particularly under Woody were stifled from doing too much. The direct opposite now of Coffey and KK telling, and reinforcing for D to make plays, move feet, find transition, find open passes. By expecting more of players we get more.

Under Coffey KK this is the best Bouchard has ever been. Theres been a quantum difference in him taking chances in Ozone, at the line, or in the zone and being trusted to make plays. Watch Bouchard in ownzone now and its wow. EVERY night. We were getting glimpses before. But Booch Ozone either on PP or EV is doing even more now and getting more results. Booch has 20pts in 17GP under the new coaching and against a much higher level of opposition than the team was seeing earlier in season. 5/8 of Booch goals have also occurred since the coaching change. Also seen more since is the shot pass. Booch having a brilliant shot pass. He's unpacking more of his game and given licence to.

Back to Woody its well known that our prospects were not developing under him. Kostin was limited minutes, Holloway limited minutes, Mcleod given strictly bottom to work with. Woody was more go to the vets than even the old coaches we had. or at least he became that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah. Just to change the topic it seems kinda clear which nights McLeod is going to be bringing it. That said he was developing into quite a player under Tippett, and given more roles, and the player suffered under Woody. I really believe that for some reason Mcleod wasn't getting the same looks and usage. For instance I mentioned that McLeod would get looks with Drai from time to time, and even had some in playoffs and it looked OK. If you recall Tippett was also the one that had McLeod playing C so that RNH could be a winger. McLeod is a psyche that needs to be given minutes and bigger roles. He really needs that. It helps him to roll into games. he appears to be a player that benefits from minutes and bigger expectations.

McLeod is so good at establishing Ozone when he's playing with some talent. That alone helps Drai in his game. Means that it doesn't fall on Drai to make every aspect of transition on a line.

On one faceoff Drai wins faceoff clear in own zone, then somehow gets puck, then makes breakout pass to Foegele or Kane who f*** up the play and the next thing Drai knows its another rush against. and a puck going out, and another own zone draw. Its relentless how much his wingers were causing plays to go back. it wasn't Drai making any poor passes or drop passes. Its gotta be frustrating at times.
McLeod is very good at gaining a zone entry. I’d like to see him tried with draisaitl more often, especially when it seems like Kane isn’t going right now

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Regarding the game....hell of a come back for sure. Didnt see that happening.
This team is still way too unpredictable dfensively. Pickard was okay.
No better or worse than Skinner but 'okay' should be good enough for now if the team could manage to play consistent defence.
Interesting that they didnt take a penalty in this game...that doesnt happen often and it obviously helped. So did the aggressive forecheck. Similar to how NJ plays so they were getting a little of their own medicine and it was very effective.
If they can manage to put together another game like that against the Rangers tonight then the 3 game losing skid becomes much less of a problem.

EDIT: Cant beleive that i didnt mention McLeod in this post...one of the best games of his Oilers career. Keep him on Drais wing for a at least 20 games.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not comparing the players, obviously, just saying more greenlighting of players making plays is going on. The D particularly under Woody were stifled from doing too much. The direct opposite now of Coffey and KK telling, and reinforcing for D to make plays, move feet, find transition, find open passes. By expecting more of players we get more.

Under Coffey KK this is the best Bouchard has ever been. Theres been a quantum difference in him taking chances in Ozone, at the line, or in the zone and being trusted to make plays. Watch Bouchard in ownzone now and its wow. EVERY night. We were getting glimpses before. But Booch Ozone either on PP or EV is doing even more now and getting more results. Booch has 20pts in 17GP under the new coaching and against a much higher level of opposition than the team was seeing earlier in season. 5/8 of Booch goals have also occurred since the coaching change. Also seen more since is the shot pass. Booch having a brilliant shot pass. He's unpacking more of his game and given licence to.

Back to Woody its well known that our prospects were not developing under him. Kostin was limited minutes, Holloway limited minutes, Mcleod given strictly bottom to work with. Woody was more go to the vets than even the old coaches we had. or at least he became that.
Fair point as we've segue to Bouchard and the d deployment and philosophy that's changed.

The organization hasn't been good at developing its prospects. Though Woodcroft did advocate for Desharnais. This is a challenge of a mature phase organization in its winning window. Organizations and coaches specifically tend to established NHL players over the often wildly variable ups and downs involved in onboard green bananas. And we see wild swings with this team which can go from awful to ecstasy within seasons trying to breakthrough with the consistency required by legitimate Cup contenders. Early days but Knoblauch is more clear with defined roles and responsibilities and player pairings which is a huge benefit.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Regarding the game....hell of a come back for sure. Didnt see that happening.
This team is still way too unpredictable dfensively. Pickard was okay.
No better or worse than Skinner but 'okay' should be good enough for now if the team could manage to play consistent defence.
Interesting that they didnt take a penalty in this game...that doesnt happen often and it obviously helped. So did the aggressive forecheck. Similar to how NJ plays so they were getting a little of their own medicine and it was very effective.
If they can manage to put together another game like that against the Rangers tonight then the 3 game losing skid becomes much less of a problem..
Point of order. At the very least Pickard erased a breakaway on a good and quick coming out of net to get to a puck first. He did it easily. The same play does not occur with Skinner, and is then a breakaway. its little parts like that which make a difference.

Pickard is much better at swallowing pucks and not splaying rebounds all over. Pickard is more mobile and somewhat quicker. Pickard can also play the puck. These are just some facets of what Pickard brings and Skinner does not. Again Pickard has only seen action against the hardest opponents in all of the 5 games and he still has better numbers even though the degree of difficult games is off the charts compared to what Skinner has been alotted.

edit to edit. Thanks for giving Mcleod his kudos in the game and yep, hope he's done enough to stick with Drai for a bit.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fair point as we've segue to Bouchard and the d deployment and philosophy that's changed.

The organization hasn't been good at developing its prospects. Though Woodcroft did advocate for Desharnais. This is a challenge of a mature phase organization in its winning window. Organizations and coaches specifically tend to established NHL players over the often wildly variable ups and downs involved in onboard green bananas. And we see wild swings with this team which can go from awful to ecstasy within seasons trying to breakthrough with the consistency required by legitimate Cup contenders. Early days but Knoblauch is more clear with defined roles and responsibilities and player pairings which is a huge benefit.
Woody advocating so much for Desharnais and not for other young D prospects with better upside could easily be considered indictable. How do young players learn the game and grow if not afforded the opportunity to make mistakes, still get minutes and games to do so. Holloway at times would come to the bench wincing because he knew the latest mistake was going to get him healthy scratched. i despise that approach with reasonable prospects.

Desharnais plays a safe big man game with very limited tools and processing. That Woody preferred this is further indication that he preferred nonplay, or limited play in his D. Desharnais plays a dumb it down KISS game of D. Thats all you get with him.

Always thought it was interesting that Ekholm and Nurse have been the best since the coaching change or that Ekholm was best fresh out of Nashville and while still deferring to their system and expectations. he regressed as playoffs came.

The biggest concern I had last season down the stretch is that we were not onboarding our prospects and we had the possibility to that. We had an 80% or greater probability of facing LA in first round, we had that for over a month and we were not onboarding. We were running to the hilt and to game 82 with all our guns. It was stupid and I said at the time.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln

The #'s for Foegele are there, although I tend to agree with you. Reality is that KK only has so much to work with here!

Agree on Gagner. He's a veteran with good hands and hockey IQ

RNH and Hyman have been 2 of the top Drai wingers all-time, but again KK is trying to build a Top6 and those guys are deservedly playing on the 1st line rn.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Point of order. At the very least Pickard erased a breakaway on a good and quick coming out of net to get to a puck first. He did it easily. The same play does not occur with Skinner, and is then a breakaway. its little parts like that which make a difference.

Pickard is much better at swallowing pucks and not splaying rebounds all over. Pickard is more mobile and somewhat quicker. Pickard can also play the puck. These are just some facets of what Pickard brings and Skinner does not. Again Pickard has only seen action against the hardest opponents in all of the 5 games and he still has better numbers even though the degree of difficult games is off the charts compared to what Skinner has been alotted.
Skinner has erased breakaways as well but his good moments gets lost in all the vitriol (for the player) on here.
You are way over inflating Pickard.
He is a soon to be 32 year old borderline NHL goalie who might be able to give the Oilers 15 games this season. He has no NHL future in front of him and I certainly hope that Holland is a lot more realistic about what Pickard brings to the table because this team needs to solve its goaltending issue.

In the short term I do think that Pickards puck handling and his experience are very helpful (an upgrade on Skinner for sure) and I would like to see him used more. I think that his experience helps calm his game down but I do see his limitations as well.
I just dont want Pickard to be an option any further than late January/early Feb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoneman89

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Personally I don’t think it’s fear. He can go into hard areas with abandonment when moved to do so. It’s not his nature to do so. Off ice he seems like a pretty laidback chillaxin dude type. Think that carries over to the ice.

He is a high speed skill guy who falls into this finesse approach in his play. Doesn’t have the high end processor that McDavid, Draisaitl & Nuge all have though. It’s in him but needs to be drawn out of him. As a result his game can vary wildly imo.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Personally I don’t think it’s fear. He can go into hard areas with abandonment when moved to do so. It’s not his nature to do so. Off ice he seems like a pretty laidback chillaxin dude type. Think that carries over to the ice.

He is a high speed skill guy who falls into this finesse approach in his play. Doesn’t have the high end processor that McDavid, Draisaitl & Nuge all have though.
Woody advocating so much for Desharnais and not for other young D prospects with better upside could easily be considered indictable. How do young players learn the game and grow if not afforded the opportunity to make mistakes, still get minutes and games to do so. Holloway at times would come to the bench wincing because he knew the latest mistake was going to get him healthy scratched. i despise that approach with reasonable prospects.

Desharnais plays a safe big man game with very limited tools and processing. That Woody preferred this is further indication that he preferred nonplay, or limited play in his D. Desharnais plays a dumb it down KISS game of D. Thats all you get with him.

Always thought it was interesting that Ekholm and Nurse have been the best since the coaching change or that Ekholm was best fresh out of Nashville and while still deferring to their system and expectations. he regressed as playoffs came.

The biggest concern I had last season down the stretch is that we were not onboarding our prospects and we had the possibility to that. We had an 80% or greater probability of facing LA in first round, we had that for over a month and we were not onboarding. We were running to the hilt and to game 82 with all our guns. It was stupid and I said at the time.
mobile access has ‘ate’ my homework aka post. Agree this org has flubbed development. In Desharnais case he addressed clear, defined need for size, physical defender to help cycle break and PK which was abyssmal.

Will reconnect later for further chat on this. Always appreciate good dialogue.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Went out with a friend and forgot all about there being a game. Nice to see the W. Leafs got f***ing smoked too. Wow

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
I'm not sure it kinda got blendered including Gagner getting hurt. I'm out of the broadcast viewing area so my 'workaround' is to watch on my phone. The obvious for me was the Kane and McLeod switch.

Do figure they come back with same lines but wonder about Gagner. Hope it's not his jaw.

Happy early Christmas to you and your family.
Use a live-stream to watch the game anywhere.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
One gripe I need to bring up...on the broadcast yesterday during the last minute of play Louie and Jack were babbling on about New Jerseys young players while Derek Ryan gets hurt along the end boards and skates off the ice holding his shoulder. Not even a cursary mention from either of them.
Thats inexcusable.
It really highlights one of Jacks failings as a PbP man. He honestly thinks that his opinion on something is more important than whats going on in the game.
So many times there is a big hit or another big play that doesnt even get a mention.
It amounts to the Jack and Louie hockey talk show.
Brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biltmore

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Very good post, thanks for this one.

Gretzky was better, and I've seen both infinitely. Connor has the best athleticism but he doesn't come close to Gretz surgical precision. Gretz was an unstoppable force in his on days and nothing stopped it. Connor can be stopped or stymied by good clubs.

The players are very different. Gretz was much more the tactician exploiting any weaknesses in the enemy and finding ways to exploit even when there was no weakness. Gretz developed so many facets to rule on ice. He was a marvel. A once ever. All this and he played his career without todays improved equipment, improved skates, and advanced Carbon Graphite sticks.

Connor is the blow the doors off fella. Far less subtle but more explosive edges. Gretz was no slouch at this either and would dance on skates in any direction while making complex plays. Connor wants to use speed and quick starts to exploit and score. Gretz used them to create open ice, separation, and to either score or devise a trap.

In talking about Wayne Gretzky important to mention that his game was so involved, so predatory that he would actually look at the glass to see where everybody is on ice. who does that? Todays Plexiglass and lighting would make it even easier for Gretz to do that. Gretz would play the game like chess knowing where the pieces are and what exploits were open given a particular positional setup of pieces. Gretz played the game, in real time, as if he had the video from directly above and with all camera angles. This is what he processed when he played. Nobody else like it.
I would add shitty video quality hides how deceptive Gretzky was.

HE NEVER looked where he was going, passing, or shooting. Watching gretzky live was an absolute mindf***.

The most Gretzky-like play I had seen in the last 10 years was in basketball.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: iCanada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad