Who does Vegas take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I would even argue the Kings have not had a better 4th line Center than Fraser.

Shore put up more production, but is not anywhere near as physical.

Mike Richards excelled in that role for the 2014 run, but since losing him and Stoll (who were both ineffective after 2014), the Kings have gotten extremely soft and lost their center depth.

Similar to their losses on the blueline which they have not been able to replace.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
He's useless on his offside, that's why he and Muzzin were a minus infinity. There is no rhd for him to pair up with. He would also free up 4m for help elsewhere.

Are you implying that Martinez's trade value is the same as a cap dump? Or that Lewis has higher trade value? You are on dope.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Mike Richards excelled in that role for the 2014 run, but since losing him and Stoll (who were both ineffective after 2014), the Kings have gotten extremely soft and lost their center depth.

Similar to their losses on the blueline which they have not been able to replace.

100 % agree Ziggy.

But hey, it's easy to replace all these guys remember ?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Are you implying that Martinez's trade value is the same as a cap dump? Or that Lewis has higher trade value? You are on dope.

He wasn't implying Lewis has higher trade value( I think he wasn't).

I think the poster is saying Lewis has move value to the Kings moving forward.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
After looking at the protected lists, two things stand out to me. First, we have one of the worst unprotected lists. Vegas should not be stoked to pick anyone on our team. Second, with all the NHL talent that is available, Vegas would be picking a fourth liner at best.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
After looking at the protected lists, two things stand out to me. First, we have one of the worst unprotected lists. Vegas should not be stoked to pick anyone on our team. Second, with all the NHL talent that is available, Vegas would be picking a fourth liner at best.

Potentially available. The bright side is, the Kings shouldn't lose anyone too good, and won't have to pay to keep someone.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Still Haven't replaced Jarret Stoll. It's not (Easy).

Not saying it is but you should be able to find bottom 6 guys with more regularity than finding help in the top 4 of the defense core.

There is no way you would expose Martinez over Lewis, unless your Garth Snow. :naughty:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Richards was terrible in 2014.

For every 60 minutes of 5on5 ice time he got, the Kings gave up 2.40 goals. By far the worst of any player on the team.

It's one thing to give up that many goals if you're off setting it by producing offense of your own, but he wasn't. Being that bad defensively when your a bottom 6 player is unacceptable.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Yep. Martinez is a disaster playing the right side so we are wasting 4m right there. I don't see how Forbort/LaDue could be worse than Muzzin/Martinez.

The bottom 6 is also a disaster and losing Lewis makes it even worse. The only hope left is to trade Amart after the expansion because lots of teams will be looking for dmen.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Richards was terrible in 2014.

For every 60 minutes of 5on5 ice time he got, the Kings gave up 2.40 goals. By far the worst of any player on the team.

It's one thing to give up that many goals if you're off setting it by producing offense of your own, but he wasn't. Being that bad defensively when your a bottom 6 player is unacceptable.

40+ points on this team is like adding another elite forward. Not calling Richards elite, but yet again you undersell and discredit Richards. Despite him slowing down considerably by then (and it got worse in 2015), Richards was still capable of pitching in and provided some offense while playing a support role. How many guys in the bottom six are capable of doing that now?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
40+ points on this team is like adding another elite forward. Not calling Richards elite, but yet again you undersell and discredit Richards. Despite him slowing down considerably by then (and it got worse in 2015), Richards was still capable of pitching in and provided some offense while playing a support role. How many guys in the bottom six are capable of doing that now?
Richards was a significant net negative for the team in 2014. That's not something we should miss. It's not something that needs to be replaced.

Sutter gifted Richards the 3rd most PP time of any forward on the team even though he was clearly a liability and one of the teams worst players 5on5.

Opposing teams had a field day against the Kings when Richards was on the ice.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006

He doesn't and its just ridiculous to think otherwise, there is no way this team is better without Martinez, without Lewis the team can still function and I love Lewis. And if you were to trade Martinez you would get a better player than Lewis back.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Usually agree with you ZS, but Richards was horrific in 2014, atleast by the time the playoffs rolled around.

We both have watched a ton of Kings hockey over the years, as I was at all 4 of those games in Chicago that year, it was absolutely painful to watch, he couldn't keep up with Handzus, towards the end he was about as bad defensively as any Kings player I can remember, right up there with Duchesne in his second stint and Randy Jones..

As for this topic, it wouldn't shock me to see McNabb taken as some kind of reclamation project by Vegas. But I just don't see him ever turning it around, he was clearly not as good as Lombardi and the Kings pro scouts thought, and on top of that he was butchered by Sutter, never forget when he was playing very well for the Kings and was benched when Greene returned, he has never been the same.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Yep. Martinez is a disaster playing the right side so we are wasting 4m right there. I don't see how Forbort/LaDue could be worse than Muzzin/Martinez.

The bottom 6 is also a disaster and losing Lewis makes it even worse. The only hope left is to trade Amart after the expansion because lots of teams will be looking for dmen.

I agree with potentially looking to deal Martinez after the ED. Atleast there is an opportunity to acquire asset(s) that can help the club but to leave him exposed to Vegas to grab for free is poor roster management.

The last few years Deano neglected the bottom 6. The new regime have to look outside the organization and add a few pieces to improve it, no question and that's with or without Lewis.

Also, players currently in the organization have to do their part to step up and capably fill some of those slots as well. Maybe the "newish" coaching staff can light a fire under some of these guys. Let's hope so. I think the Lowry hiring will pay dividens, real nice addition.

I wish Blake could pull of the Jedi mind trick to get McPhee to take Gabby. :D

Like most have noted, at the end of the day it's gonna be Lewis or McNabb.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Usually agree with you ZS, but Richards was horrific in 2014, atleast by the time the playoffs rolled around.

We both have watched a ton of Kings hockey over the years, as I was at all 4 of those games in Chicago that year, it was absolutely painful to watch, he couldn't keep up with Handzus, towards the end he was about as bad defensively as any Kings player I can remember, right up there with Duchesne in his second stint and Randy Jones..

As for this topic, it wouldn't shock me to see McNabb taken as some kind of reclamation project by Vegas. But I just don't see him ever turning it around, he was clearly not as good as Lombardi and the Kings pro scouts thought, and on top of that he was butchered by Sutter, never forget when he was playing very well for the Kings and was benched when Greene returned, he has never been the same.

This is a very good point. Something happened to his confidence after that and we were left with a different player.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I agree with potentially looking to deal Martinez after the ED. Atleast there is an opportunity to acquire asset(s) that can help the club but to leave him exposed to Vegas to grab for free is poor roster management.

The last few years Deano neglected the bottom 6. The new regime have to look outside the organization and add a few pieces to improve it, no question and that's with or without Lewis.

Also, players currently in the organization have to do their part to step up and capably fill some of those slots as well. Maybe the "newish" coaching staff can light a fire under some of these guys. Let's hope so. I think the Lowry hiring will pay dividens, real nice addition.

I wish Blake could pull of the Jedi mind trick to get McPhee to take Gabby. :D

Like most have noted, at the end of the day it's gonna be Lewis or McNabb.

Improving the bottom six will cost money. Losing Lewis doesn't help at all. Kings can forget about competing without a solid 3C.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Ignoring his Cap hit, losing Brown would hurt. He's the heart of this franchise and emotionally it would be a big blow, to me at least. I have serious man love for the guy. However his contract is obviously a major issue.

There is a case for Vegas taking his contract though. They are talking about building through the draft. That means they will need a strong core leadership group and there is no one on that list I'd rate higher than Brown on that side of things. He's a top draw pro and has won two cups, so would instantly be highly respected in the room.

There is also a case for thinking he could bounce back under a different coach and 20+ goals isn't that much of a stretch. If he does that, the contracts not quite as bad. If they are building through the draft they will probably need a questionable contract or two to get to the cap floor and i don't think they are likely to have cap issues for a few years at least. So as I say there is an argument for taking him. Don't get me wrong I don't think it's likely they take Brown but I wouldn't be shocked if they did. Especially as I have this nagging feeling....

The more likely pick is Lewis. It would hurt a little to lose him, but we badly need to retool the bottom 6 so I could live with it. The dream pick is Gabby. I'll forever love him for taking us over the top for that second cup, he scored some great goals and took plenty of punishment around the net. However the contract is a car crash and it's very difficult to see any sort of bounce back statistically as I can't see him staying fit long enough to find his form.

It's going to be a fun few days.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
A few of the guys on the NHL Network did expansion mock drafts, 2 picked McNabb, the other picked Lewis.

I think you could easily find 6 defensemen to take ahead of McNabb. Vegas is supposed to load up on D and could have a Fleury-Raanta combo in net. Then you stock pile high draft picks, some guys like James Neal and in a year or 2 you could be ready to roll. If Vegas does go D and goalie heavy you're gonna need responsible bottom 6 forwards.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
I think you could easily find 6 defensemen to take ahead of McNabb. Vegas is supposed to load up on D and could have a Fleury-Raanta combo in net. Then you stock pile high draft picks, some guys like James Neal and in a year or 2 you could be ready to roll. If Vegas does go D and goalie heavy you're gonna need responsible bottom 6 forwards.

McNabb is still 26 so he may be more appealing. There's some solid SAH dmen but most of them are going to be older guys

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

They will take the players that have the most "flip" value in the year ahead. Management knows that most roster players they acquire won't want to be there and will look to staff the team with players that haven't played yet or have something to prove (Weal, international players, backup goaltenders that want to start etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad