Prospect Info: Who does LA pick #2? Part 2 To Byfield or to Stutzle? That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Only days away now from being able to root for someone. I'm at peace with whoever they select because they seem confident in who they've determined is #2 vs #3. At least it's not some Dave Taylor timeout situation like in 2003 and then summarily whiffing on BOTH picks. I'd really be anxious if they stated they were still agonizing over the #2 pick selection after so many months.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It sounds like if the Kings take Stutzle it’s because he’s the faster, quicker player; who they believe is a better fit for the identity they are trying to build.

Management has been consistent in their message that the direction of the roster will be to get younger and faster. So taking the flashier skater makes sense in that context. I don’t think it hurts either that Stutzle will be in either the AHL or NHL right away.

The BPA argument is unknowable at this point between QB and TS. But if management does draft TS, it will look an awful lot like drafting for need.

I don't disagree about the speed aspect, however I don't agree Stützle would come to North America right away, in part because people in the organization have been adamant that both players need more time, but also the DEL is going start well in advance of the AHL and probably the NHL.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
In all fairness to the kid, he should have scored at least a few times in the tournament. Power might have ensured he did score, but I am pretty confident he still would score on those plays 9/10. Bad luck, but puck not in the net is puck not in the net. Like he should have scored on a borderline empty team canada net but the puck was passed behind him and the goalie dove back across the crease to pull it out. Also should have scored on team USA and Russia in similar but different circumstances.

QB averages 8:41 ice time a game at the wjc.

https://www.iihf.com/pdf/422/ihm4220can_83_7_0_can

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I don't disagree about the speed aspect, however I don't agree Stützle would come to North America right away, in part because people in the organization have been adamant that both players need more time, but also the DEL is going start well in advance of the AHL and probably the NHL.

And I think the rule in the DEL is once you start the season there for regular season games, you're there for the season. Same in the SHL. That's why we've got players only sticking around in Germany until the season starts and other prospects playing in the lower level Swedish league.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm fully prepared for them to take Stutzle only because the consensus seems to be that he is "safer" than Byfield. Turcotte fell in to the "safer" category more than some of the guys that went right after him as well.

I see Blake as kind of risk-adverse. Sure, he took Vilardi but that was with the 11OA and he thought he was inheriting a contender anyways. While it wound up being played perfectly, he took the safer Bjornfot over Kaliyev last year as well.

I'm not saying that Stutzle is bad because he's viewed as a safer prospect but I do think Blake errs more on the side of floor v. ceiling with this pick.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think Stuetzle offers more than just an immediate need, because he’ll be an important part of the new core that they’re building, and I think that his teams relying on him heavily, from the DEL to WJC, is a sign that he has some leadership qualities and that he can thrive in high pressure situations.

Not that other options can’t do that as well, but Stuetzle may have that extra layer of it. I get more of a Nicklas Backstrom vibe from the way he plays and controls the game.

Maybe, but it’s more likely that you’ll see TS glued to Kopitars wing to start the season, if he shows any hint of production next camp. Anything beyond that is hard to say.

If I were Blake, I would reflect on the overall size of the teams which advanced the furthest in the playoffs.

I think Blake and Luc can keep their jobs for life if the Kings are a team that makes the playoffs every 3 out of 5 years. With the monkey of never winning a cup off the backs of fans, I don’t think their is any internal pressure within the Kings org to really put a championship team together again through hard work by management.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Honestly, no matter whom we pick, i would rather than not play this season. It'll likely be a shortened training camp anyway...and shortened season. We are not winning th ecup this coming season. We already have lots of youth being injected into the team, adding an 18 year old on top of that is not wise imo. Unless of course they are so good in TC that it forces your hand. Otherwise, let them have another year to age and mature. I know history about #2OQ picks and all -- but for this Kings team and the CV situation, imo i think another year is best.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think if Stutzle gets picked he is going into the lineup right away. I do think that they will not keep Byfield. They may give him a cup of coffee at the start of the season, but they are definitely not keeping him the whole season. In the end, I like both players. I still lean Byfield, but Stutzle is growing on me if they take him. No matter what, the Kings are at least getting a cornerstone piece that will likely be here many years; hopefully, that player also develops into something more...

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I'm fully prepared for them to take Stutzle only because the consensus seems to be that he is "safer" than Byfield. Turcotte fell in to the "safer" category more than some of the guys that went right after him as well.

I see Blake as kind of risk-adverse. Sure, he took Vilardi but that was with the 11OA and he thought he was inheriting a contender anyways. While it wound up being played perfectly, he took the safer Bjornfot over Kaliyev last year as well.

I'm not saying that Stutzle is bad because he's viewed as a safer prospect but I do think Blake errs more on the side of floor v. ceiling with this pick.

I actually think Byfield is the safer pick because he's used to NA ice and a big center that can skate. Worse case scenario, he develops into a 3rd or 4th line center. I feel Stutzle is more boom or bust.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
He "should have scored" a lot more this year in all scenarios, though. That's the knock. It's tangible upon view and it's got tangible lack-of-results. I'm still not sure why suggesting that's an issue is so controversial. how much of an issue it is is a fair discussion, as @bland points out, maybe it's an overstatement in the sense that he deferred a lot in the DEL, especially as he was mostly manning the point on the PP. I'm not sure I've seen him take more than a slap shot or two. But at all levels in all the highlights, the guy is firing into the goalie's crest a lot.

I'm not saying its unfair to critique his shot. It is a weakness. I'm just saying sometimes you face situations(or put yourself in them with high IQ) where scoring without a snipers shot is very doable. I don't think he ever scores goals like OV but I do think off smart play alone he will have a bunch of 20+ goal seasons. In the DEL even with the low attempts he did see a lot of chances where it should have gone in too though. Not like 30 goals, but an extra 3-7. His stats would have appeared more respectable if he put them in though. If he stays another full season I bet he scores 20+ goals in the DEL this season

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
If I were Blake, I would reflect on the overall size of the teams which advanced the furthest in the playoffs.

Tampas best offensive players were both under 6' though, yeah they got a giant on D who is a elite, but their best players were small skill players

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
And I think the rule in the DEL is once you start the season there for regular season games, you're there for the season. Same in the SHL. That's why we've got players only sticking around in Germany until the season starts and other prospects playing in the lower level Swedish league.

A lot of people around the league talked about that, but I heard on a couple podcasts(I guess that's not official) if a kid is ready for the show the NHL team will have a talk with the organization and work out the kid coming over

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Did he play anymore in the game(s) Laf sat out? I really felt like I saw him on the ice a lot against Germany, but I would really like to know how much ice he officially saw in that game.

https://www.iihf.com/pdf/422/ihm422b14_74_3_0
8:55 of ice time, only player to see less ice time was Dawson Mercer.

For those who are still stuck up with WJC numbers, here's Lafreniere's stats when he was the same age as Byfield at his first WJC tournament.
https://www.iihf.com/pdf/421/ihm4210can_83_5_0_can

Low ice time, only produced a goal, and was criticized by his coach for his effort at the tournament. Then look at what he does a year later. People don't realize how much difference an extra year made in his development, and the same will apply with Byfield.

Reactions: King'sPawn

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Bold prediction but I'm doing it:

Lukas Reichel is selected 11th overall by Nashville. The preds obviously trust their scouts in Europe given that they were practically the Swiss national team before trading Fiala

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I actually think Byfield is the safer pick because he's used to NA ice and a big center that can skate. Worse case scenario, he develops into a 3rd or 4th line center. I feel Stutzle is more boom or bust.

I don't feel like either player just falls out of the NHL when we are talking boom/bust...bust would only be relative to draft position and not a Yakupov-type deal. I've said on here that I think Byfield has the better floor as well but it seems like the consensus seems to be that Stutzle is more likely to reach his...probably colored by the fact he produced in a men's league already but most of us know that doesn't mean anything (see Stefan, Patrick).

Reactions: MrGuyPerson

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think Blake and Luc can keep their jobs for life if the Kings are a team that makes the playoffs every 3 out of 5 years. With the monkey of never winning a cup off the backs of fans, I don’t think their is any internal pressure within the Kings org to really put a championship team together again through hard work by management.

I hope not. This type of performance would be unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad