Prospect Info: Who does LA pick #2? Part 2 To Byfield or to Stutzle? That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I hope not. This type of performance would be unacceptable.

I agree. That isn't any type of goal other than just being a loser who is happy to be hanging around. I disagree that there isn't any internal pressure. If they don't rebuild to a contender, both Luc and Blake will be gone. Deep playoff runs are how franchises print money because it's all bonus revenue. Some fans don't look at that aspect but it matters as much as anything and this ownership group cares a ton about the financial aspects. If they just wanted to be competitive every 3-5 years then they wouldn't do a complete scrap like they are doing. They would field a team to be just in the mention which isn't hard since so many teams make the playoffs.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Will the Los Angeles Kings take Quinton Byfield of the Sudbury Wolves or Tim Stuetzle of Mannheim in the German league with the No. 2 pick? The Ottawa Senators have already stated they’re going to take whichever top prospect the Kings don’t, so which is it going to be?

“Flip a coin,” a league executive said Thursday.

The sense among many NHL executives is that it’s difficult to predict which way the Kings will go.

And for those who make blanket statements about his IQ or work ethic...
The Senators would be pleased to get either player, but if it’s Byfield they’ll have a 6-4, 215-pound centre in the system who’s had no shortage of success in the OHL. He had 32 goals and 82 points in 45 games with the Wolves this season and those who have seen him say he’s a complete player at both ends of the ice.

“He’s still physically maturing, but he brings that compete level to the game and he’s already become a leader,” Dan Marr, the head of the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, told Postmedia last month. “He helped improve the status of (Sudbury), he made others around him better and he continues to get better.

“There’s a lot of small forwards with speed, but it doesn’t stop them from (playing in the NHL), but when you can get a big guy that moves like that … Look at the teams that go far in the playoffs, they have one of those big core forwards with some speed and then you have to take in the consideration the skills he has. This is a kid that does some highlight-reel rushes up the ice.”

Marr loves Byfield’s compete level and the fact he works hard to earn the ice time he gets.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
SmartSelect_20201002-180307_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20201002-180330_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20201002-180348_Chrome.jpg

I tried to give the mock draft a whirl, pretty fun. I took Stützle at 2 and Ptereka to the flyers off hope so I'm gonna make another slightly more realistic, but you never know where some players are going so I do think a few picks will be way off the central board

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I have seen more than one mock draft simulations where Stutzle has fallen to as low as #6 overall. I haven't seen any where Byfield is lower than #3, if that means anything.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
I’d be happy with either guy. But based on us already having a plethora of centers, and that we probably want to start competing sooner rather than later, and Stutzle isn’t far off from NHL ready, Id prefer Stutz

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I’d be happy with either guy. But based on us already having a plethora of centers, and that we probably want to start competing sooner rather than later, and Stutzle isn’t far off from NHL ready, Id prefer Stutz

That's still at least two years away.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I absolutely think Raymond has gotten seriously underrated not just here, but in general. If we stayed at 4 I would've taken him in a heartbeat over Drysdale despite the need for a defenseman. I really hope he doesn't make it to the ducks at 6

I like the Mitch Marner comparison. Absolutely love him at 4. But it's tempting!

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
"The sense among many NHL executives is that it’s difficult to predict which way the Kings will go."

Good.

Yep. We gain no benefit from the league knowing where we're leaning, whom we're considering, etc. Knowledge is leverage for other teams.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Mock 2020 NHL Draft: Byfield, Stuetzle could go No. 2 to Kings

2. Los Angeles Kings

Kimelman -- Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury (OHL):
Byfield has everything a rebuilding team is looking for: great size (6-foot-4, 215 pounds), skill and a tremendous skating ability. He said he's been focused on getting stronger since his season ended, with the goal of being able to handle the physical play of the NHL next season. Byfield has the look of a franchise center that the Kings will be able to build around as Anze Kopitar and Jeff Carter slide into the late stages of their NHL careers.

Morreale -- Byfield: The left-shot center, who had 82 points (32 goals, 50 assists) in 45 games last season, is a powerful skater with breakaway speed and an exceptional skill set. He is the type of player the Kings desperately need down the middle.

Lepage -- Tim Stuetzle, LW, Mannheim (GER): The Kings have made a concerted effort to find dynamic, creative forwards in the draft the past few years, including Rasmus Kupari (No. 20 in 2018), Akil Thomas (No. 51 in 2018) and Alex Turcotte (No. 5 in 2019). With his impressive vision and hockey IQ, Stuetzle fits that mold.

Reactions: KINGS17

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
More and more I think it’s Stuetzle.

The Kings center for the new few years are going to be Kopitar, Vilardi, Lizotte and JAD. One of Turcotte, Madden, Kupari, Thomas or Dudas will step in and push JAD or Lizotte to the wing. Wouldn’t Stuetzle be a perfect winger for Kopitar, Vilardi, Turcotte....

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

The Kings center for the new few years are going to be Kopitar, Vilardi, Lizotte and JAD. One of Turcotte, Madden, Kupari, Thomas or Dudas will step in and push JAD or Lizotte to the wing. Wouldn’t Stuetzle be a perfect winger for Kopitar, Vilardi, Turcotte....

Is there such a thing as a perfect,
playmaking winger?

We need goal scorers and that is not him.

Reactions: Guitpik and KINGS17

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
I have seen more than one mock draft simulations where Stutzle has fallen to as low as #6 overall. I haven't seen any where Byfield is lower than #3, if that means anything.

It means that by some magical twist of fate Stützle fell to 6 and the Ducks rivalry will be epic for years to come. Byfield will put up points, Stützle will bust out some absurd dangles and make plays that you would not think are possible to win a few games and the debate will rage on forever. It would be a dream come true for all general fans of hockey. Epic games on deck. Likely just a fantasy though. If Dorion veered from his statement of choosing one of the 2 left, I can't imagine Yzerman would. He already took a kid projected to go 26th at 6th from the same DEL team. Seider had way less obvious(less to everyone but Yzerman) potential than Stützle too.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020

Vilardi would be a freak with Stützle and Kaliyev would score 40+ goals. He fits yes. Fits very very well. Byfield fits Ottawa almost as well. Byfield to the Kings fits less. It does not fit bad, but less. Definitely would have to restructure a smidge more to make Byfield fit perfect. Regardless I think a few of the prospects in the pool are on the trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad