Prospect Info: Who does LA pick #2? Part 2 To Byfield or to Stutzle? That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I have seen more than one mock draft simulations where Stutzle has fallen to as low as #6 overall. I haven't seen any where Byfield is lower than #3, if that means anything.

Grant Mccag
I have seen more than one mock draft simulations where Stutzle has fallen to as low as #6 overall. I haven't seen any where Byfield is lower than #3, if that means anything.

Heard Grant McCag on NHL radio and he has Byfield at 4 but they didn’t say who his 3rd is.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Stuetzle seems like he needs the puck. Can’t see that working with Kopitar.

I really can’t decide between the two. Gonna be legit happy either way.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

"He came in and played both roles, offensive and defensive. He would be out there late in games with goalies pulled," Wolves head coach Cory Stillman said. "If we pulled our goalie, everything ran through him. If their goalie was pulled, we had him on the ice because we knew he was going to get the puck out.

"He's smart, he can read plays, and he has a great stick. We knew from Day 1 that having him on the ice late in games was an advantage for us."
"He's got the size, the speed, the hands, and pretty much all the tools you need to be a high-end forward," Drysdale said. He added: "The second that guy gets a step on you, you're kind of toast."

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Vilardi would be a freak with Stützle and Kaliyev would score 40+ goals. He fits yes. Fits very very well. Byfield fits Ottawa almost as well. Byfield to the Kings fits less. It does not fit bad, but less. Definitely would have to restructure a smidge more to make Byfield fit perfect. Regardless I think a few of the prospects in the pool are on the trading block
You are trying to build one line. The Kings should be trying to build a championship team.

If Kopitar has fit with the Kings over his career up until 2017 or 2018, then Byfield will also be a good fit going forward.

To be honest, this is my concern with a guy like Luc Robitaille in charge. I hope he has little to no influence on player personnel decisions, because he seems to prefer what he thinks is entertaining hockey to winning hockey. I have always found winning hockey very entertaining.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
You are trying to build one line. The Kings should be trying to build a championship team.

If Kopitar has fit with the Kings over his career up until 2017 or 2018, then Byfield will also be a good fit going forward.

To be honest, this is my concern with a guy like Luc Robitaille in charge. I hope he has little to no influence on player personnel decisions, because he seems to prefer what he thinks is entertaining hockey to winning hockey. I have always found winning hockey very entertaining.

Nah man those were just the players I listed because Vilardi is actually picture perfect and its more Kaliyev's type than him as a player. In regards to the whole team Stützle fits perfectly. Whole pipeline Turcotte, Kupari, Fagemo, Akil, and Madden they all mesh perfect to Stützle's style. On the wing and especially the powerplay the kid is a dynamite fit with Kopitar, all you need is one High IQ person on the other wing and it will be one of the most dangerous lines in hockey. Byfield doesn't fit with Vilardi well, too similar of styles. I don't see Turcotte blending perfect either. Turcotte would fit better with Byfield though than Vilardi does though.

On a side note nah Byfield is too similar to Kopitar for it to fit for me. For one I can't recall many top 3 picks in the modern era selected with "mentors" that actually end up lighting the NHL ablaze. Was Mackinnon Mentored? Patty Kane? Eichel? Matthews? Nah I think if anything "mentors"(outside of vet locker room guys non previous all stars) hurt prospects. Why? Its almost like you develop them for a support role. The ones that dominate the show are handed the reigns to take over the teams success and win games immediately. I can't see the kings saying "sorry Kopitar you won us 2 cups, but he is younger so he gets to be out with 2 minutes left in the game down by 1 in your spot. If you want, you can still be on the ice in front of the net though" too disrespectful to a hall of famer.

"Mentors" also didnt work so well for Drouin, Bobby Ryan, JVR. Yeah I don't know, maybe I just can't think of enough players that are drafted that high and have had a mentor work. Off memory alone players that are counted on immediately to be "that guy" are the players that end up best. The kings could count on Stützle( he could share ice with your current "guys" and make them better) right away and Ottawa could count on Byfield. I think both locations are the optimal spot for the players to hit their respective ceilings. The Kings could only variably count on Byfield as his desired role is filled by an all star champion vet. When Kopitar retires you will essentially ask the kid to just step up to a role he has a couple years of experience not playing. I think mentorships work best for lower picks, from the late first down to the end of the draft.

Eerily Stützle and Byfield together would be a godly fit together, and all 3 top picks would make the hands down best line in the NHL

Reactions: ibleedkings

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Nah man those were just the players I listed because Vilardi is actually picture perfect and its more Kaliyev's type than him as a player. In regards to the whole team Stützle fits perfectly. Whole pipeline Turcotte, Kupari, Fagemo, Akil, and Madden they all mesh perfect to Stützle's style. On the wing and especially the powerplay the kid is a dynamite fit with Kopitar, all you need is one High IQ person on the other wing and it will be one of the most dangerous lines in hockey. Byfield doesn't fit with Vilardi well, too similar of styles. I don't see Turcotte blending perfect either. Turcotte would fit better with Byfield though than Vilardi does though.

On a side note nah Byfield is too similar to Kopitar for it to fit for me. For one I can't recall many top 3 picks in the modern era selected with "mentors" that actually end up lighting the NHL ablaze. Was Mackinnon Mentored? Patty Kane? Eichel? Matthews? Nah I think if anything "mentors"(outside of vet locker room guys non previous all stars) hurt prospects. Why? Its almost like you develop them for a support role. The ones that dominate the show are handed the reigns to take over the teams success and win games immediately. I can't see the kings saying "sorry Kopitar you won us 2 cups, but he is younger so he gets to be out with 2 minutes left in the game down by 1 in your spot. If you want, you can still be on the ice in front of the net though" too disrespectful to a hall of famer.

"Mentors" also didnt work so well for Drouin, Bobby Ryan, JVR. Yeah I don't know, maybe I just can't think of enough players that are drafted that high and have had a mentor work. Off memory alone players that are counted on immediately to be "that guy" are the players that end up best. The kings could count on Stützle( he could share ice with your current "guys" and make them better) right away and Ottawa could count on Byfield. I think both locations are the optimal spot for the players to hit their respective ceilings. The Kings could only variably count on Byfield as his desired role is filled by an all star champion vet. When Kopitar retires you will essentially ask the kid to just step up to a role he has a couple years of experience not playing. I think mentorships work best for lower picks, from the late first down to the end of the draft.

Eerily Stützle and Byfield together would be a godly fit together, and all 3 top picks would make the hands down best line in the NHL
A lot of problems with drafting a player at #2 overall to "fit".

I like what we saw out of Vilardi in his first stint in the NHL, but there are no guarantees with his health he will be a future 1C. In fact, I see his ceiling as a 2C on a championship caliber team. You mention Kaliyev, who we all have high hopes for, but the kid hasn't even played a single game as a pro yet.

Who knows how Turcotte will pan out. I think he will be an NHL player, but if the Kings had a do over, would he be their pick at #5 overall in 2019? I don't think he would be the pick at that spot.

Stutzle will be a great fit on Kopitar's wing? I think you are having delusions of grandeur. By the time Stutzle gets acclimated to the NHL, and most say he is not ready to step in next season, Kopitar will be nearly done. It's time to face the harsh reality that the Kings will likely not be contenders with Kopitar as their 1C, maybe with Kopitar as a 2C with a cost-controlled 1C on the roster, but even that is a long shot.

Kopitar is the most dominant 1C in Kings history, bar none (sorry Wayne-boys) and you want to pass on Byfield, because he is too much like Kopitar? I don't see the logic in your train of thought.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yes, this guy, please.

"The way MacAuley Carson sees it, though, the Wolves' 3-2 victory was more than just another game. It was the game in which he witnessed superstar teammate Quinton Byfield call his shot with Sudbury down 2-1 early in the third period.
Byfield, as Carson tells it, told a yapping Colts player to buzz off and then gave him a warning: Not only did Byfield plan to tie the game 2-2, but he would do so in spectacular fashion by rifling the puck top corner on a breakaway. You can probably guess what happened the next time his skates hit the ice."

Also love the stuff about him being on the ice at the end of the game if they needed a stop, as well. That's important.

Dude is training with Roberts and skating with McDavid, Mattews, et. al. too.

Sign. Me. Up.

Dykstra

whiskey jpeg pgt
May 1, 2010
Which is impressive considering Seider had 6 points in 29 games in his draft season. No doubt a very promising prospect.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Which is impressive considering Seider had 6 points in 29 games in his draft season. No doubt a very promising prospect.

One more thing re: his numbers that bodes well that I think @bland brought up was his german juniors numbers. We DO have some precedent there with Draisaitl and if I recall TS's #s are better (or at least comparable).

Reactions: Dykstra

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
If Kings draft Byfield - then I say give 1-2 seasons to see who makes between Turcotte, Madde, Kupari, Thomas, and Dudas and then dangle one of those five in a deal.

Kings centers for next season are as such.

Kopitar, Vilardi, Lizotte, and Amadio/JAD. Kempe and Carter have shown they are better on the wing.

For the season after it could be Kopitar, Vilardi, Lizotte and one of Turcotte, Madden, Kupari, Dudas, Thomas. The other four could still be in the AHL or 1-2 moved in a trade.

JAD could move to the wing.

Dykstra

whiskey jpeg pgt
May 1, 2010
One more thing re: his numbers that bodes well that I think @bland brought up was his german juniors numbers. We DO have some precedent there with Draisaitl and if I recall TS's #s are better (or at least comparable).
In fact, from what I saw in their german juniors season Stutzle had 47P in 25G while Draisaitl had 56P in 35G.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I can see Byfield go back for another year of juniors. No pressure to have him in LA. The following year he would be a King.

kopitar
Byfield
Vilardi

(JAD
Turcotte
Madden
Thomas)

Kings could roll four solid lines or convert/trade.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Drafting for fit is a horrible idea -- especially when the better player is a freaking center in the NHL.

Hey, this Jordan kid is the best player in the draft. But Sam Bowie is pretty great too and we already have Drexler. Bowie will "fit" next to Drexler way better than Jordan. Yeah...great idea.

Reality is, as K17 mentioned above, our current centers for the future have question marks (age, injuries, can they make it in NHL, etc.). It's not like we have prime Kopi, Richards, Carter & Stoll -- back in 2012, sure a center wasn't needed. Although, imo, it's always best to draft the center (all things being equal) and you can trade from that position of strength. Top line center >>>>>>> top line winger every day

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If Kings draft Byfield - then I say give 1-2 seasons to see who makes between Turcotte, Madde, Kupari, Thomas, and Dudas and then dangle one of those five in a deal.

Kings centers for next season are as such.

Kopitar, Vilardi, Lizotte, and Amadio/JAD. Kempe and Carter have shown they are better on the wing.

For the season after it could be Kopitar, Vilardi, Lizotte and one of Turcotte, Madden, Kupari, Dudas, Thomas. The other four could still be in the AHL or 1-2 moved in a trade.

JAD could move to the wing.
One or more of the players you mention could be moving to the wing.

Token

May 15, 2019
When you win the draft lottery, pick 1OA or 2OA ...

... you build the franchise around that pick.

You don’t go stuffing that pick into a mold.

For me it’s Byfield or bust. Anything else is epic fail.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
When you win the draft lottery, pick 1OA or 2OA ...

... you build the franchise around that pick.

You don’t go stuffing that pick into a mold.

For me it’s Byfield or bust. Anything else is epic fail.

Pretty much. Stutzle looks like a great winger and is likely better now, but Byfield just has that extra gear. He can outskate a defender and has the hands and finish to take over and make the play all on his own. Stutzle is a guy that can thread the needle and deliver pucks out there, and he can skate around defenders, but I just don't see that take over and win the game all on his own gear, I don't see that lethal, unstoppable, finish that Byfield has from time to time.

In the end, who knows, maybe they develop in opposite directions, and I sure as hell am not a scout. I will be stoked and buy the jersey of whoever we choose, but it would be a bitter pill to swallow if we take Stutzle and he turns into a 40-50 point, 15 goal winger and Byfield ends up an 80-90 point, 30+ goal, franchise center.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I can see Byfield go back for another year of juniors. No pressure to have him in LA. The following year he would be a King.

kopitar
Byfield
Vilardi

(JAD
Turcotte
Madden
Thomas)

Kings could roll four solid lines or convert/trade.

Turcotte - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Fagemo - Byfield - Vilardi
Madden
- JAD - Thomas
Grundstrom - Dudas - Kupari

I bolded all of our natural centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad