Prospect Info: Who does LA pick #2? Part 2 To Byfield or to Stutzle? That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They won't rush anybody but if they get the chance to improve the NHL club by giving up young assets then I'm sure they will.

When the time is right and they’re ready to contend, and if it makes sense for the long term.

Nobody is opposed to trading prospects, but not for an over the hill player whose best days are behind them and they can only provide 2-3 productive seasons.

If the Kings can trade for say, a Sergachev or Nylander, players in their early 20s, that makes sense. Assuming there are those types available to be had.

Reactions: funky

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

There you go. They're not looking to rush anybody. Those who insist they need to draft a player who can play and contribute now are completely off base.

Especially considering that if you assume the 2 players being targeted at #2, Stutzle wouldn't even be eligible to play in the NHL this season (whenever it starts) when he plays in the DEL regular season. Who knows what type of leap Byfield makes this upcoming season and by 2021/2022, he could be more NHL ready. All the rules have changed due to COVID. So traditional thinking is out the window.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
When the time is right and they’re ready to contend, and if it makes sense for the long term.

Nobody is opposed to trading prospects, but not for an over the hill player whose best days are behind them and they can only provide 2-3 productive seasons.

If the Kings can trade for say, a Sergachev or Nylander, players in their early 20s, that makes sense. Assuming there are those types available to be had.
Yes, if the player they make a deal for is expected to still be in their prime in three or four years, I would be on board for a trade. I think they might want to wait a while though to better assess their needs.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

There you go. They're not looking to rush anybody. Those who insist they need to draft a player who can play and contribute now are completely off base.

I think what's interesting is that buried in that article they point out that becasue of the extra time they know the players from rounds 4-7 just like they do the top rounds too. I'm not sure that will help the Kings this year, who have been phenomenal in the late rounds; that's probably a negative allowing other teams to close the gap.

In summary, trade all the 4-7 picks for top 3 rounds! ;)

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Yes, if the player they make a deal for is expected to still be in their prime in three or four years, I would be on board for a trade. I think they might want to wait a while though to better assess their needs.
There’s a good pool of players available thru trade but I think Cirelli and Sergachev are special and it could be worth making a decent hockey trade yo get one of them or maybe Nylander. There are others there too. If you can upgrade the core significantly then making a deal now is a good thing IMO even though we’re still doing the rebuild.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
If Tampa wins the Cup, hell even if they don't, no way are Sergachev and Cirelli available. They're going to do whatever they need to do to clear salary. Some of those players who have NMCs are going to waive them for bigger roles elsewhere etc. Players don't typically stay at places they're not wanted, NMC or not.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
There’s a good pool of players available thru trade but I think Cirelli and Sergachev are special and it could be worth making a decent hockey trade yo get one of them or maybe Nylander. There are others there too. If you can upgrade the core significantly then making a deal now is a good thing IMO even though we’re still doing the rebuild.
I think Tampa Bay will do everything it can to keep Sergachev.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If Tampa wins the Cup, hell even if they don't, no way are Sergachev and Cirelli available. They're going to do whatever they need to do to clear salary. Some of those players who have NMCs are going to waive them for bigger roles elsewhere etc. Players don't typically stay at places they're not wanted, NMC or not.

Typically I would agree with this sentiment. But don't underestimate the value of the loss of a big chunk of money from taxes, especially in today's economic climate.

Reactions: RocketKing

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
To be honest, I have a feeling their minds haven't changed much since COVID started. They knew who they were taking as soon as the pick was revealed. They already did their homework on every possible player to be selected in the first round...

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I was at the prospects scrimmage this last year, you know where the Ducks sent all their older prospects against everyone else's youth.

Thomas was easily one of the best players on the ice. Smart. Great hockey sense. He read plays well, Created a bunch of transition offense with poke checks or by intercepting passes.
I think he will play in the league as at least a third liner
I agree. He definitely has the mindset and IQ to succeed. He’s a very smart player and will easily be able to slide over to wing, as he did in his first OHL season. It also means he’d be able to move up and down the lineup as needed to cover injury or for tactical reasons. I think he has the ability to be a NHL Center but with our prospect pool you’ve got to think he will end up on the wing.

I like that you can see that he learned and done everything he’s needed to at each stage of his development. After each Kings camp he knew he had to get stronger and he did each season, much stronger. He’s then used lockdown to do the same and looks something close to 210 to me. He is going to be a coaches dream IMO.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I agree. He definitely has the mindset and IQ to succeed. He’s a very smart player and will easily be able to slide over to wing, as he did in his first OHL season. It also means he’d be able to move up and down the lineup as needed to cover injury or for tactical reasons. I think he has the ability to be a NHL Center but with our prospect pool you’ve got to think he will end up on the wing.

I like that you can see that he learned and done everything he’s needed to at each stage of his development. After each Kings camp he knew he had to get stronger and he did each season, much stronger. He’s then used lockdown to do the same and looks something close to 210 to me. He is going to be a coaches dream IMO.

That description sounds a lot like Trevor Lewis. I know we call him stone hands, but Lewis could contribute offensively if needed. I remember when Kopitar went down with that knee injury, Lewis got moved up for the rest of that game and got first line minutes in a couple games after that. He ended up with 4 points in those three games, so he could definitely score if he wasn't focusing on defense. High IQ, can do whatever the coaches ask except for being a gamebreaker.

I think Thomas has a little more O than Lewis, but otherwise I have similar expectations. Right now I'd peg him as a 30-35 point guy with IQ who you can trust in most situations. I honestly don't know much about his special teams but if can be a go-to PK guy that makes him even more valuable. I think he has 40+ point upside but reaching that would just be gravy.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
That description sounds a lot like Trevor Lewis. I know we call him stone hands, but Lewis could contribute offensively if needed. I remember when Kopitar went down with that knee injury, Lewis got moved up for the rest of that game and got first line minutes in a couple games after that. He ended up with 4 points in those three games, so he could definitely score if he wasn't focusing on defense. High IQ, can do whatever the coaches ask except for being a gamebreaker.

I think Thomas has a little more O than Lewis, but otherwise I have similar expectations. Right now I'd peg him as a 30-35 point guy with IQ who you can trust in most situations. I honestly don't know much about his special teams but if can be a go-to PK guy that makes him even more valuable. I think he has 40+ point upside but reaching that would just be gravy.
I agree there are similarities with Lewis but I think he has far more offensive upside. Like you I don’t think 40+ points is unrealistic.

Reactions: RocketKing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad