Prospect Info: Who does LA pick #2? Part 2 To Byfield or to Stutzle? That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
In summation, I am fine with whichever player the Kings pick at #2 overall, as long as it is Byfield.

I just think his ceiling is too high to pass on for this franchise. If you have been around long enough to remember the struggle the Kings had in finding a #1C after Gretzky, then you know why you have to take a shot here with Byfield.

Will Byfield dominate as a 1C? He has a fair chance.

Let's be honest. The Kings were damn lucky Kopitar fell all the way to #11 in his draft year, and that Terry Murray developed him into a premiere two-way center. We won't get that lucky again with a pick outside the top three or four picks in the draft, and these kind of guys don't become available very often.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm a big Byfield guy but I think it's pretty apparent that our complaints are much more about Ottawa media and a handful of fans acting like a pack of brain dead hyenas than they are about Stutzle. I've made it really clear if Stutzle is our pick then I'm 100% on board and most everyone else is there too. Gotta love the martydom though, say something stupid, get rebutted, then complain to the internet about the big mean Kings fans.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm a big Byfield guy but I think it's pretty apparent that our complaints are much more about Ottawa media and a handful of fans acting like a pack of brain dead hyenas than they are about Stutzle. I've made it really clear if Stutzle is our pick then I'm 100% on board and most everyone else is there too. Gotta love the martydom though, say something stupid, get rebutted, then complain to the internet about the big mean Kings fans.
I am fine with being known as mean.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I am fine with being known as mean.
Fun fact

When Kings17 has an ant problem, he doesn't use poisonous spray or traps. He instead rounds them up and tortures them by making them watch "Real Housewives of ______" episodes until they seek refugee status at another residence far away from his

It's probably time for Kings17 to change his title to "Meanest in the room"

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
I keep hearing "physicality" with Byfield but I haven't really seen any of that from him. If anything he doesn't use his size to his advantage imo.
I know what you mean. Byfield tends to rely on his skill rather than physicality, not really a bad thing in the new, nicer brand of hockey that the NHL is leaning toward. But, look closer at his physicality with the puck. Watch how he sets up against a hit and delivers it back. He is very hard to knock off of the puck. The people that cover Sudbury stated that he finally started using his size in more of an aggressive level this past season. It was an element that was missing from his game as 16 year old, but it's starting to become part of his skillset.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If Byfield was dominating other teenagers using his size advantage, people would criticize his game saying he has no skill and won't be able to manhandle the men in the NHL. The kid can't seem to win with some people.
I'd rather him develop his skill -- using his size will come and is much easier to develop/use as he grows in maturity and into his body.

Token

May 15, 2019
Proof that Byfield has thrown a hit before, and it was a pretty good hit.

Stolen from Dobber Prospects deep dive that was linked earlier in the thread.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
If Byfield was dominating other teenagers using his size advantage, people would criticize his game saying he has no skill and won't be able to manhandle the men in the NHL. The kid can't seem to win with some people.
I'd rather him develop his skill -- using his size will come and is much easier to develop/use as he grows in maturity and into his body.

Agreed 100%. I think Byfield is the type of player whose hockey sense and skill is high enough that he'll be able to be a chameleon in his play style depending on what needs to be done to beat a defense.

You want to play puck-possession, high-contact hockey? Great, good try knocking a 22 year-old, 20 lb heavier Byfield off the puck. You want to play fast in transition and trade chances? Great, watch Byfield gallop through center ice as a zone exit/entry machine even better than he does now with a few years of working with an NHL development staff and professional trainers.

Even if Stutzle is just better at one of those specific styles, I see so much potential value in Byfield to provide top-line value regardless of the play style.

Reactions: funky and Guitpik

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I know what you mean. Byfield tends to rely on his skill rather than physicality, not really a bad thing in the new, nicer brand of hockey that the NHL is leaning toward. But, look closer at his physicality with the puck. Watch how he sets up against a hit and delivers it back. He is very hard to knock off of the puck. The people that cover Sudbury stated that he finally started using his size in more of an aggressive level this past season. It was an element that was missing from his game as 16 year old, but it's starting to become part of his skillset.
Thanks. I basically said this a couple of weeks ago,but you’ve articulated it far better than I did. He’s never going to be a Lindros type wrecking ball but I do think he will use his size effectively.

Reactions: Guitpik

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Fun fact

When Kings17 has an ant problem, he doesn't use poisonous spray or traps. He instead rounds them up and tortures them by making them watch "Real Housewives of ______" episodes until they seek refugee status at another residence far away from his

It's probably time for Kings17 to change his title to "Meanest in the room"
Depends on my disposition. I can be like this:

lucifer-opens-up-to-chloe-decker-about-his-identity-in-lucifer-season-3-photoyoutubetvpromosdb_1579569.jpg

, or like this:

103832-1-5e283557903f2.jpg

If I am mad at a neighbor, I don't torture the ants and instead leave a trail of cake crumbs from the ant hill to their front door.

Reactions: Legionnaire

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Plus Byfield just turned 18 years old. He is going to get bigger and stronger. Look at what has been going on lately with Thomas and Turcotte.

Byfield has the skill. His power game will develop.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

Bears.
Beets.
Byfield.
Bigger..
Better...
Battlestar Galactica.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I hope they get to recreate that picture in a Kings jersey one day.

I’ve become a regular listener of Akil Thomas’ podcast and firstly it’s interesting. It isn’t 100% hockey focused but it certainly gives a meaningful perspective on the sport through the eyes of a person of colour (it’s not a negative perspective, in case anyone thinks it would be) as well as providing some good insight on the lives of the prospects in general. I’ve learned for example that some of the prospects are already getting to know each other and are forming team bonds and working around Covid via things like online gaming. Also, the guys going to the DEL will all be living together and that will really help build a new team culture.

The other conclusion I’ve reached from the podcast is that I REALLY hope he makes it as a King. I think he will as he has the profile and commitment that will make him a bottom 6 guy that can play up and down the line up... as a minimum. However the reason I really want him to make it is that he is a remarkable young man. He is a class act and has the makings of a real leader and it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up Captaining the Kings on day. He is certainly a guy you’d want right in the middle of any leadership group. So, in summary it’s a great listen.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Yes listening the Bissonnette episode.

I like Thomas, though, in his past few Kings camps he hasn’t done anything to stand out. Most of the kids really didn’t stand out especially the 18 and 19 year olds.

This next season in the A is going to be big for Thomas, Turcotte, Fagemo, Kupari and Madden. Someone will light the lamp.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

“You look around the league and sometimes you see young guys and they’re taking two, three, four years,” Kings president Luc Robitaille said. “We want to make sure we give time to our kids. That’s what we’re looking at.”

There you go. They're not looking to rush anybody. Those who insist they need to draft a player who can play and contribute now are completely off base.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Yes listening the Bissonnette episode.

I like Thomas, though, in his past few Kings camps he hasn’t done anything to stand out. Most of the kids really didn’t stand out especially the 18 and 19 year olds.
I was at the prospects scrimmage this last year, you know where the Ducks sent all their older prospects against everyone else's youth.

Thomas was easily one of the best players on the ice. Smart. Great hockey sense. He read plays well, Created a bunch of transition offense with poke checks or by intercepting passes.
I think he will play in the league as at least a third liner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad