Who do you want vs. who do you expect at number 8?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Uh yeah, I didn't just blindly critique a player without watching him play

The only reason he's a top 10 pick is his shot
The only reason Ovi is elite is his shot.

Having a good shot is a somewhat important trait to have in this sport...

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Brandon Pirri is the hill I seemingly cannot stop dying on.

Pirri was a playmaker coming up. He had a plus shot but it was puck handling and hockey iq that got him to the show.

Matt Iacopelli is a guy with a filthy shot and nothing else. Lot of revisionist history in this thread.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
The only reason Ovi is elite is his shot.

Having a good shot is a somewhat important trait to have in this sport...
That's just completely foolish. His shot is pretty much unstoppable but the best goal of his career (against coyotes) was the one he played of the boards on the rush, got taken down, spun around on his back and scored while sliding away from the goal

OVI is an elite combination of creativity, hands, shot, speed, and power

He deked Duncan Keith out of his jock and that was another play where it was more of an average shot but an amazing setup by himself and a snipe

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That's just completely foolish. His shot is pretty much unstoppable but the best goal of his career (against coyotes) was the one he played of the boards on the rush, got taken down, spun around on his back and scored while sliding away from the goal

OVI is an elite combination of creativity, hands, shot, speed, and power

He deked Duncan Keith out of his jock and that was another play where it was more of an average shot but an amazing setup by himself and a snipe
I honestly am not sure you have watched much of Wahlstrom, you are acting like he is some kind of plug.

And enough of the Ovi comparisons, they have some similar traits, but there is a reason why Ovi went #1 and Wall-E will not be...Ovi has been close to generational talent since his draft.

For Wahlstrom, he is more than just a shot. You completely underrate his passing ability, completely ignored his physical play which is very much like Ovi, the kid engages every game with not only some of the biggest hits, but the fact that he goes into high traffic/danger areas tells a story of a player wiling to do whatever to score.

Yes he can look disinterested at times (most snipers do) but he does back check when he has to, and when he does he is pretty relentless in his pursuit.

Go watch Laine for a 5 game stretch and tell me what else he is elite at???? I have watched a lot of Laine, you simply do not have to be great at a lot of things to be great in this league. He is a great goal scorer but can take stretches off as well, it freaking happens! Scoring goals is the most important aspect of the game, and I am about as confident as I have ever been with ANY prospect that Wall-E has a career somewhere between Boeser and Laine in terms of goal scoring, overall talent, and point totals.

If that is there at #8, you absolutely f***ing take it.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Why is everyone so down on Bouchard? It appears no Hawk diehard wants him at #8. If that's the case, why do you EXPECT Stan to make that move?

In today's NHL the red flag gets raised when a prospect's skating is questioned.

FWIW: When Craig Button was asked to choose between Dobson and Bouchard he said immediately that it was very, very close then chose Dobson. He didn't elaborate as to exactly why but I'm sure it was the mobility comparison.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I honestly am not sure you have watched much of Wahlstrom, you are acting like he is some kind of plug.

And enough of the Ovi comparisons, they have some similar traits, but there is a reason why Ovi went #1 and Wall-E will not be...Ovi has been close to generational talent since his draft.

For Wahlstrom, he is more than just a shot. You completely underrate his passing ability, completely ignored his physical play which is very much like Ovi, the kid engages every game with not only some of the biggest hits, but the fact that he goes into high traffic/danger areas tells a story of a player wiling to do whatever to score.

Yes he can look disinterested at times (most snipers do) but he does back check when he has to, and when he does he is pretty relentless in his pursuit.

Go watch Laine for a 5 game stretch and tell me what else he is elite at???? I have watched a lot of Laine, you simply do not have to be great at a lot of things to be great in this league. He is a great goal scorer but can take stretches off as well, it freaking happens! Scoring goals is the most important aspect of the game, and I am about as confident as I have ever been with ANY prospect that Wall-E has a career somewhere between Boeser and Laine in terms of goal scoring, overall talent, and point totals.

If that is there at #8, you absolutely ****ing take it.

It sounds like you have seen Wahlstrom play quite a bit?

The bolded above (especially) caught my attention. Character, hunger and intensity often trump pure talent.

Last night TSN was looking back at previous #1 picks. There were a number of busts, led by Alex Daigle, who looked like a superstar in the making. Some would argue it was because of what was between his ears. Physically he had everything.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Holy crap people, I mentioned how Ovi is elite because of his shot. I didn't say he'd be garbage if he didn't have as nasty of a shot as he does, just that he wouldn't be an elite, future HOFer.

I was trying to draw a parallel to Wahlstrom by explaining how taking away a players most important skill wouldn't make that player be that player. So if you took Wahlstrom's shot away, you'd have just a guy. If you took the shooting abilities of Ovi or Laine or any elite forward with a rocket of a shot, they wouldn't be near as good as what they obviously are.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Holy crap people, I mentioned how Ovi is elite because of his shot. I didn't say he'd be garbage if he didn't have as nasty of a shot as he does, just that he wouldn't be an elite, future HOFer.

I was trying to draw a parallel to Wahlstrom by explaining how taking away a players most important skill wouldn't make that player be that player. So if you took Wahlstrom's shot away, you'd have just a guy. If you took the shooting abilities of Ovi or Laine or any elite forward with a rocket of a shot, they wouldn't be near as good as what they obviously are.

YOU SAID OVI SUCKS I SAW IT~!~!!!

:)

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
1. Dahlen
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Bouchard
5. Kotkaniemi
6. Dobson
7. Tkachuk

This is my guess.

8. ?????

Hughes, Wahlstrom, Boqvist?

I'm okay with any of those 3.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
1. Dahlen
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Bouchard
5. Kotkaniemi
6. Dobson
7. Tkachuk

This is my guess.

8. ?????

Hughes, Wahlstrom, Boqvist?

I'm okay with any of those 3.

I think it is going to look like this -

Dahlin - Buff
Svech - Car
Kotkaniemi - MTL
Zadina - Ott
Tkachuk - Ari
Hughes - Det
Dobson - Van
Wahlstrom - Chi

everything I am reading/seeing leads me to believe this is how the top 7 goes, and we will have Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Boqvist, etc to pick from..

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It sounds like you have seen Wahlstrom play quite a bit?

The bolded above (especially) caught my attention. Character, hunger and intensity often trump pure talent.

Last night TSN was looking back at previous #1 picks. There were a number of busts, led by Alex Daigle, who looked like a superstar in the making. Some would argue it was because of what was between his ears. Physically he had everything.

I have been following him closely for years. He has some issues, some disinterested play at times like Kane/Ovi have shown us, but he has an edge to his game that few have with this kind of talent.

The kid is a hard worker, he tested great, interviewed great, and has been nothing but consistent for the past 3 plus years. He scores from all over the ice, he can crash the net as well, but isn't a bull on skates - he just isn't afraid to score goals from in close. His bread and butter is his quick release and accuracy which is well on par to Brock Boeser.

Players of this ilk always get looked at more heavily than others and I never understood why. If you are real good at scoring goals, why is it you get put under a microscope that you might not be the best playmaker or defensive player as a way to diminish?? Makes no sense to me. It is okay to call out some flaws, it is okay to say a player needs some work on certain aspects of their game, but 9 out of 10 times people are just pulling shit out of their ass trying to make something where there is nothing.

His good far outweighs his bad, and even his bad I don't think is really that bad lol...

And so people know, Craig Button has compared him to Mike Bossy numerous times...The Mike Bossy - look him up if you don't know who he is lol!!

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
And so people know, Craig Button has compared him to Mike Bossy numerous times...The Mike Bossy - look him up if you don't know who he is lol!!

Button is not shy with his comps. He is obviously talking about their ceiling but it is interesting.

Dahlin - Hedman
Svechnikov - Hossa
Kotkaniemi - Kopitar
Zadina - Pastrnak
Tkachuk - Matthew Tkachuk
Hughes - Morgan Rielly
Boqvist - Erik Karlsson
Dobson - Seth Jones
Wahlstrom - Ovi
Bouchard - John Carlson

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Button is not shy with his comps. He is obviously talking about their ceiling but it is interesting.

Dahlin - Hedman
Svechnikov - Hossa
Kotkaniemi - Kopitar
Zadina - Pastrnak
Tkachuk - Matthew Tkachuk
Hughes - Morgan Rielly
Boqvist - Erik Karlsson
Dobson - Seth Jones
Wahlstrom - Ovi
Bouchard - John Carlson
probably would be one of the greatest drafts ever if these kids hit their ceilings like this!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
probably would be one of the greatest drafts ever if these kids hit their ceilings like this!

100%. Obviously they most likely won't all hit but there is an insane amount of talent.

That is what I am willing to consider trading next years 1st+ to draft early twice this year. #11 or #12 if someone drops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin Musto

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
If we're comparing Pirri to Ovi why don't they just sign Pirri away from the Euro leagues?

I like watching generational talents too, ya know...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If we're comparing Pirri to Ovi why don't they just sign Pirri away from the Euro leagues?

I like watching generational talents too, ya know...
We're not comparing the two....:facepalm:

I mentioned Ovi's name when someone was giving Wahlstrom shit because said poster felt all Wahlstrom had was his shot and I decided to be a smartass by mentioning how Ovi wouldn't be elite, merely very good, without his shot. Trying to draw a parallel between what would happen if two players known for their shots didn't have them any longer.

I never compared Ovi to Pirri.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I have been following him closely for years. He has some issues, some disinterested play at times like Kane/Ovi have shown us, but he has an edge to his game that few have with this kind of talent.

The kid is a hard worker, he tested great, interviewed great, and has been nothing but consistent for the past 3 plus years. He scores from all over the ice, he can crash the net as well, but isn't a bull on skates - he just isn't afraid to score goals from in close. His bread and butter is his quick release and accuracy which is well on par to Brock Boeser.

Players of this ilk always get looked at more heavily than others and I never understood why. If you are real good at scoring goals, why is it you get put under a microscope that you might not be the best playmaker or defensive player as a way to diminish?? Makes no sense to me. It is okay to call out some flaws, it is okay to say a player needs some work on certain aspects of their game, but 9 out of 10 times people are just pulling **** out of their ass trying to make something where there is nothing.

His good far outweighs his bad, and even his bad I don't think is really that bad lol...

I think the fact that the most talented amateur hockey players who are offensive minded don't always get the proper coaching in ALL aspects of the game is the question mark here. These players reach the NHL and typically need to be more than one-dimensional to thrive. Some can do it, some even readily (often helped by good coaching at the AHL and/or at the NHL level), other players can't adapt.
The question remains, can Wahlstrom be more than one-dimensional as a professional? And if not, can his one-dimensional play be enough? Sometimes it's not ideal but yet more than enough. Take Mike Bossy, for example, he scored on a regular basis and prolifically. No one ever talked about his defensive play when he scored as much as he did.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad