Who do you want the wings to draft in later rounds?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
With how many early (1st, 2nd, 3rd) round picks the wings have this year I havent really been looking at anyone that people wont already know on here. Dont ask me to scout goalies but Ihope one of those 2nd or 3rd rounders is a goalie.

A name I've seen pop up in here a couple times already that I'm on board with is Tullio. Another one I really like is O'Rourke. And Alex Cotton is a weird one for me, definitely intrigiung but havent seen enough of him to say for sure if I like him

Reactions: lilidk

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I can see a team drafting triple-overager Lassi Lehtinen, a goalie who had 2 stellar seasons being the starter goalie for Lukko in the Liiga. The only thing that is holding him back is his height being just 6 feet. Could be a high floor, low ceiling guy with maybe starter potential.

Lassi Lehtinen at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I can see a team drafting triple-overager Lassi Lehtinen, a goalie who had 2 stellar seasons being the starter goalie for Lukko in the Liiga. The only thing that is holding him back is his height being just 6 feet. Could be a high floor, low ceiling guy with maybe starter potential.

Lassi Lehtinen at eliteprospects.com

I'm not against drafting an overager or two in this draft. Goalie development isn't as linear as skater development, so if this is a guy that's available in the 5th or later then I'd take a flyer on him. The goalie I'm aiming for in this draft is Blomqvist. . Yeah, Askarov will probably be the for-sure starter of the draft but I'd rather use a late 2nd or early 3rd on a goalie than a top 4 pick.

grewalwings

May 23, 2014
Ontario
It would be great if we could land Reichel but he might go late 1st. I think I'd be ecstatic with Ozzy Weisblatt, Joel Blomqvist. I would like for the Wings to give Daniel Torgersson a go as well.

Reactions: archimet

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Sebrango and Groshev, both second round. Groshev might have few games in NHL next year, AHL ready

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Ugh. I hate that comparison because it looks like a pretty accurate one. Let Ken Holland draft him and suffer for it.

He doesn't play anything like Ferraro (at least how Ferraro did at the junior level). He is exponentially smarter, much harder on the puck, moves the puck more east-west, and is better at generating offense inside the offensive zone (as opposed to in transition). I think he also has more puck skill than LF did at the same age.

I personally would consider him as high as 32. The WHL forwards in this draft aren't high (or even mid) first-round talents, but they are good second round options.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He doesn't play anything like Ferraro (at least how Ferraro did at the junior level). He is exponentially smarter, much harder on the puck, moves the puck more east-west, and is better at generating offense inside the offensive zone (as opposed to in transition). I think he also has more puck skill than LF did at the same age.

I personally would consider him as high as 32. The WHL forwards in this draft aren't high (or even mid) first-round talents, but they are good second round options.

I'm not necessarily talking Wiesblatt's play stylistically. He just seems like a very...vanilla option for a 2nd round pick, much like Ferraro was. He's a well rounded package, but nothing jumps out about his play as a calling card. I just feel like there's a lot more high skill, high potential options between 20 and 80 before I'd consider Wiesblatt.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm not necessarily talking Wiesblatt's play stylistically. He just seems like a very...vanilla option for a 2nd round pick, much like Ferraro was. He's a well rounded package, but nothing jumps out about his play as a calling card. I just feel like there's a lot more high skill, high potential options between 20 and 80 before I'd consider Wiesblatt.

I don't really buy this at all. I don't doubt that there are some kids projected to go outside of the 1st round with slightly more pure puck skill (if that is what you mean by "high skill, high potential") but I cannot think of anyone with significantly more skill (at least who I have watched this year). Honestly, we tend to oversell the skill and potential of most players taken outside of the top 10 of a given draft.

To each his own. I think his skill profile fits that of a middle-six forward and what I expect to see from someone taken in the second round of the NHL draft.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Hirvonen looking good there for Assat, playing center. Looks couple inch taller than Kivenmaki .

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I really hope we grab Daws as early as our Washington 2nd. I've liked pretty much everything I've seen from him, especially his attitude. He's very competitive.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Couple guys of interest for me, some of these guys could/will go in the 2nd round though.

Daniil Gushchin
Yegor Chinakhov
Tristen Robins
Anton Johannesson
Devon Levi
Eamon Powell
Evan Vierling

I listened to the most recent EliteProspects podcast and Button and Burke had a lot of praise for Devon Levi. He's a little "undersized" for a goalie nowadays, but he has a lot of hockey sense and athleticism and could surprise a few people. He's gonna be playing college hockey with Northeastern.

I remember reading earlier this year that Detroit was interested in Chinakhov. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but he's kind of a sleeper/overager.

Last edited:

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Couple guys of interest for me, some of these guys could/will go in the 2nd round though.

Daniil Gushchin
Yegor Chinakhov
Tristen Robins
Anton Johannesson
Devon Levi
Eamon Powell
Evan Vierling

I listened to the most recent EliteProspects podcast and Button and Burke had a lot of praise for Devon Levi. He's a little "undersized" for a goalie nowadays, but he has a lot of hockey sense and athleticism and could surprise a few people. He's gonna be playing college hockey with Northeastern.

I remember reading earlier this year that Detroit was interested in Chinakhov. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but he's kind of a sleeper/overager.

I rather take Skotnikov over Levi. No clue how good the CCHL is, but it can't be better than the MHL.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
i'd like to see yzerman add a goaltender with our last 2nd or first third, whoever of blomqvist, commesso, or clang they think projects best. and i'd like to see the last pick used on a goaltender as well (levi, akhtyamov, or whoever). i don't advocate drafting askarov 4th overall, but this organization has a serious lack of goaltending depth.

also, i fully expect one or more of bourque, perreault, lundell, zary, foerster, lapierre, gunler, holloway, peterka, mysak, et alia to fall out of the first round, and i hope yzerman snags one at 32. a couple of those are pipe-dreamier than others, but you never know what's going to happen on draft day.

pashin, ovchinnikov, persson, cormier, wallinder, hanas, and jurmo are all guys i'd be interested in picking up in the second/third rounds.

Last edited:

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Double overager Dmitri Nikolayev has been flying under the radar. Standing at 6 foot 2, he has been dominating the MHL now for 3 straight seasons. He even played some games in the VHL last year. Late round goalie that looks interesting. Is expecting to play in the VHL, maybe will get some KHL games.

Dmitri Nikolayev at eliteprospects.com

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He's even played in the KHL at 17/18, which is pretty impressive. I'd take him in the 3rd round. He's under contract until 22/23 though.

We probably won't be halfway decent until 2022/23 anyway, so it'd be worth spending a 3rd rounder on this guy if that's the projected timeline for him coming over. If he can be a modern Darius Kaspiritis then that's a good scenario.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad