Who do you want the wings to draft in later rounds?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Michael Benning has similar numbers as Makar , Going to play in Denver next season together with Thuomisto

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Does anyone have an opinion on Blake Biondi? He is off to Minnesota-Duluth next year after a successful senior season for his high school team. Could be a project, but sounds like he could be worth it in the later rounds.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Michael Benning has similar numbers as Makar , Going to play in Denver next season together with Thuomisto

I just looked this kid up and he's got good hockey bloodlines. His dad was a player in the 80's and 90's. Grandfather was a pro scout for Montreal.
If he's available in the late 2nd/early 3rd I'd take him if some of my other favorites are off the board. Plus, if he's going to Denver we'd be able to keep an eye on both him and Tuomisto at the same time.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
D. Rashevsky
T. Robins
R. Grieg
L. Evangelista
S. Johanneson
V. Persson
R. Seeley.
E. Heineman
I. Moore
P. Gogolev
A. Cotton
S. Colangelo
T. Niederbach
D. Torgerson
Y. Sokolov
M Costantini
O Wiesblatt
M Beryozkin

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
D. Rashevsky
T. Robins
R. Grieg
L. Evangelista
S. Johanneson
V. Persson
R. Seeley.
E. Heineman
I. Moore
P. Gogolev
A. Cotton
S. Colangelo
T. Niederbach
D. Torgerson
Y. Sokolov
M Costantini
O Wiesblatt
M Beryozkin

I kind of like Teddy Niederbach. He reminds me a bit of Calle Jarnkrok at the same age. I don't like that he's already had knee injury problems at his age, though.

Something tells me that Colangelo sneaks into the late first round because he's big and scored a lot of points for a powerhouse Chicago team. Does he turn into a Mark Stone 2-way power winger type? Or does he become a Mike Knuble garbage goal scorer who spends the first few years of his career as a 3rd/4th liner while figuring it out?

Ozzy Wiesblatt is a kid who looks to be good enough at everything, but isn't + any specific category. I worry that makes him the kind of guy who becomes a career AHLer that jumps to Europe after a few seasons.

Reactions: MBH and lilidk

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
To go back to the well of the Saginaw connections, Mitchell Smith is the second youngest player in the draft(still growing?) and Brock had good things to say about him. I think that adds up to a good project late in the draft.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think they should act as if they need a goalie more than any other team in the league, because they need a goalie at least as much as any team in the league, and I think they should act as if goalie is their greatest need, because it is. Though I do not recommend taking Askarov at fourth, they have multiple second and third round picks. So, they can draft Calle Clang, or even Drew Commesso.

I know the thinking is that goalie prospects often bust, but the better goalie prospects are less likely to be busts than the goalie prospects who the Wings have been drafting in late rounds. They need a serious prospect.

Last edited:

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I think they should act as if they need a goalie more than any other team in the league, because they need a goalie at least as much as any team in the league, and I think they should act as if goalie is their greatest need, because it is. Though I do not recommend taking Askarov at fourth, they have multiple second and third round picks. So, they can draft Calle Clang, or even Drew Commesso.

I know the thinking is that goalie prospects often bust, but the better goalie prospects are less likely to be busts than the goalie prospects who the Wings have been drafting in late rounds. They need a serious prospect.

Blomqvist is a beast, have him over Daws, Clang and Commesso

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
He's another one on my shortlist.

The only thing is that he is shorter than Commesso (1 inch) and Daws and around the same height as Malik who I have as a 4th rounder. Skotnikov is also someone who I like, but a bit shorter. Had an insane season in the MHL and even had some VHL games under his belt where he did well.

Vsevolod Skotnikov at eliteprospects.com

So far my top goalies in order are:

1. Askarov
  2. Daws
  3. Blomqvist
  4. Commesso
  5. Skotnikov
  6. Malik
  7. Clang

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The only thing is that he is shorter than Commesso (1 inch) and Daws and around the same height as Malik who I have as a 4th rounder. Skotnikov is also someone who I like, but a bit shorter. Had an insane season in the MHL and even had some VHL games under his belt where he did well.

Vsevolod Skotnikov at eliteprospects.com

So far my top goalies in order are:

1. Askarov
  2. Daws
  3. Blomqvist
  4. Commesso
  5. Skotnikov
  6. Malik
  7. Clang
I mean, a bit undersized, but not hugely shorter than Commesso or Clang and I've seen Blomqvist listed at 6' 1" and at 6' 2".

Out of the goalies ranked at the top of the 2020 prospect group, of course, none are insanely tall, but Bednar, Hlavaj and Daws are (6' 4") good size. If they picked Hlavaj or Daws, I would be pretty excited. However, I would be just as happy with some of the (6' 2") slightly shorter guys like Commesso and Clang - they can definitely work with a guy who is 6' 2".

Bernier is 6' 0" and he was very effective last season. I think we need to draft for potential first.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I mean, a bit undersized, but not hugely shorter than Commesso or Clang and I've seen Blomqvist listed at 6' 1" and at 6' 2".

Out of the goalies ranked at the top of the 2020 prospect group, of course, none are insanely tall, but Bednar, Hlavaj and Daws are (6' 4") good size. If they picked Hlavaj or Daws, I would be pretty excited. However, I would be just as happy with some of the (6' 2") slightly shorter guys like Commesso and Clang - they can definitely work with a guy who is 6' 2".

Bernier is 6' 0" and he was very effective last season. I think we need to draft for potential first.
I'd be down with Bednar just because he's so much younger than Daws or Hlavaj. He's like 3 weeks away from being a 2021 prospect, whereas those guys were eligible in 2019. Also has been playing pro....and maybe way too soon. I think that's a pretty interesting prospect if his game can be refined, and again he's still only 17.

Reactions: DetroitRed

vicehf

Sep 14, 2013
One goaltender that intrigues me in the later rounds is Juho Markkanen, the son of Jussi Markkanen who spent a brief time in the NHL with the Oilers and Rangers from 2001 to 2007. NHL goaltender size at 6'2, would have possibly been on the Finland U18 team with Blomqvist, statistically performed well in the international games he saw this season and played in a couple of games in the Mestis. Maybe someone with more familiarity with him could provide some more insight as I'm limited to just stat-watching.

Carter Savoie would be on my draft list pending an interview. I know there's been questions about his compete level shift-to-shift, but the AJHL isn't exactly the most competitive league out there - maybe the step up to the NCAA would be what he needs to give him a kick in the ass and take things more seriously.

Benning would be on my list too.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'd be down with Bednar just because he's so much younger than Daws or Hlavaj. He's like 3 weeks away from being a 2021 prospect, whereas those guys were eligible in 2019. Also has been playing pro....and maybe way too soon. I think that's a pretty interesting prospect if his game can be refined, and again he's still only 17.
Bednar is in my top five or six goalie prospects after Askarov and if they drafted Bednar I would be satisfied that they were taking drafting a goalie seriously. He's a great prospect.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad