Who do you want the wings to draft in later rounds?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Really liking what I see from Jurmo so far, although I won't pretend to know the player inside and out.

Confused why he's mocked in the second/third rounds while guys like Schneider and Guhle are projected as high as top 15. Don't see that large of a gap, but I'll have to do more reading and watching.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Confused why he's mocked in the second/third rounds while guys like Schneider and Guhle are projected as high as top 15. Don't see that large of a gap, but I'll have to do more reading and watching.

This is a really common occurrence with me when I start moving into later picks. I think largely it has to do with consistency. When we dial up the tape on these projected 2nd/3rd round guys we're often seeing their best or at least noteworthy tape. And their best may very well be just as good as some mid 1st rounders. But how often are they bringing that? And what is the ear on the ground from coaches?

On top of that... hockey is such a dynamic team game, it can be difficult to isolate individuals and determine exactly what's driving success at times. I guess if someone figures that out conclusively, they'll built the next dynasty.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really liking what I see from Jurmo so far, although I won't pretend to know the player inside and out.

Who do you think is mocked to go in round 2/3 that is as good as Guhle? I don't like any of that guys nearly as much.

If anything, I think Guhle is underrated, and should be ranked closer to guys like Sanderson. He is an amazing skater for a big man, and has an underrated amount of skill.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Who do you think is mocked to go in round 2/3 that is as good as Guhle? I don't like any of that guys nearly as much.

If anything, I think Guhle is underrated, and should be ranked closer to guys like Sanderson. He is an amazing skater for a big man, and has an underrated amount of skill.

I said that, from my limited viewings, I don't see why Jurmo is often projected in the second/third rounds while Guhle is often projected between #10-20. I don't see that large of a gap between the two players.

I generally agree on the Sanderson point though. I don't hate Sanderson at #4, but if we're willing to take a good skating defenseman with limited offensive upside at #4, I think that opens the door for more players than just Sanderson (like Wallinder or Guhle, whether you like those players or not).

Reactions: Frk It

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'd like to draft bad skaters with skill on late rounds.

Just like Brayden Point, Jamie Benn, and Mark Stone were, and dropped at drafts.

Bad skaters as 17-year-old.

Development.

NHL stars afterwards.

Hoard them multiple guys, for sure everyone is not gonna pan out, but even one is enough.

Braydon Point wasn't really a bad skater, though. Not as good a skater as he is now, but it's misleading that people here said he was a bad skater in his draft. A big reason he fell so much is because of the size queens in NHL team management.

https://thehockeywriters.com/brayden-point-the-next-ones-2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profiles/

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Braydon Point wasn't really a bad skater, though. Not as good a skater as he is now, but it's misleading that people here said he was a bad skater in his draft. A big reason he fell so much is because of the size queens in NHL team management.

https://thehockeywriters.com/brayden-point-the-next-ones-2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profiles/

I could think it's the mix of things. Small and average skater.

But that should be the pattern, try to find smart high-IQ players, with some physical weakness on draft year.

Fix that physical weakness through development - and enjoy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I could think it's the mix of things. Small and average skater.

But that should be the pattern, try to find smart high-IQ players, with some physical weakness on draft year.

Fix that physical weakness through development - and enjoy.

You mean like...Marco Rossi? :sarcasm:

With the way some people on the Wings board talk about the guy you'd think he's a 4th rounder, not ranked 4th overall.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You mean like...Marco Rossi? :sarcasm:

With the way some people on the Wings board talk about the guy you'd think he's a 4th rounder, not ranked 4th overall.

I don't want so waste a high pick for that kind of guy.

But all lower-round choises - smart/skill guys - with physical weakness. Develop the weakness.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Huh? I don’t think Point is a 1:1 for Rossi (Marco often mentions Datsyuk when he talks about inspirations for his play, and I like that comp better), but he’s a smaller center who’s a very good skater and a general on the ice.

Lots of Rossi slander on this board.
Rossi compete level at different level going to be outstanding playoffs performer

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm praying to the hockey Gods that Jacob Perreault somehow falls to us at 32. I know, not realistic at all, but I would be so happy if we somehow got him. If it's pick 25, and he's still on the board, if I was Yzerman I'd make the phone call and offer 32 and 45 to move up. I'd throw in 64 if I had to. Perreault's shot is just nasty, and he shoots right.

A more realistic hope of mine at pick 32 is Foerster, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that he's available at 32.

As for later rounds, I'd gamble on Nybeck. I love his skillset, and I'd be fine taking him at 55 or 62.

I like Hirvonen and would love him at 55 as well. Another guy on my personal radar with picks 62 or 64 is Stranges, although this is not a popular choice. I'm all in on skill, and I'd be happy to draft Stranges in hopes that this past season was somewhat of a fluke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad