Who do you want the wings to draft in later rounds?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Ian Moore
Ruben Rafkin
Theo Rochette
Evan Vierling
Brett Berard
Marko Stacha
Pavel Novak
Ronan Seeley
Blake Biondi
Joey Pierce (Biondi’s teammate)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Ovchinnikov, Pashin, Guschin

I've seen Ovchinnikov's name thrown around a lot but the dude plays way past Kazakhstan. How well scouted is he? What would you say is the quality of competition in the MHL vs the CHL or Swedish U20 juniors?

The scouting report on him says he's got blazing speed and a deadly shot. Limited footage of the guy, but looks lethal at his level.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Pashin and Jurmo are big swings I love in rounds 2-3. I’d love to see us take Ovchinnikov and Tristen Robins as well. Both are smallish skill guys, but play with some real fire.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I like William Dufour, Ty Smilanic, Daniel Torgersson,Riley Duran, Daniel Baker and Jacob Dion

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
No offense, but I don't agree.

Half-Measure prospects.

None of those will be NHL players IMO.
That's perfectly fine, I dont expect all of them to make it, I just like them at certain spots in the draft.

You wont find anything but projects past a certain point anyways, these guys imo all have something to work with that can be expanded upon.

But I dont find any of them half measures, I think they all have good upside.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Positionally, I'd like to see add depth to our forward pipeline with Berggren/Mastrosimone style picks in the second and third rounds. I won't pretend I've seen all the guys projected in that range, but I think you can find good value for wingers in those round especially.

If J.J. Peterka fell to 32OA, that's a pick I'd love.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Half-Measure prospects.

I think you're definitely against public opinion on that take. Torgerson is one of the safer bets to be an NHLer outside the 1st round. He's an excellent two way forward who's big, can skate, and he has a fine shot. While Dion is small he's a great two way defenseman who has some interesting offensive upside.

While I agree the others are likely longshots, they all possess some interesting tools and would be fine picks in the 5th+ round.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Half-Measure prospects.

Do you care to explain the reasoning? I haven't seen much of the other guys, but Daniel Torgersson looks like he's got the skills, size and skating to be at least a very solid 3rd line power winger in the NHL. Here's his most recent scouting report.
Daniel Torgersson Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #106

If Sam Colangelo somehow falls to us in the 2nd round I take him over Torgersson, but if not I'd want Torgersson. with our 2nd or 3rd pick in the 2nd round.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Sorry everyone for the salty post. Bit of a bad day...

Half-measures was the wrong way to put it, and I can see some value with them as later picks.

With Dufour, I liked the uptick in production following the trade, but he can't skate.

Dion, small, and can't skate.

Torgersson, for me is meh. I've read that he needs improvements in multiple areas. For a late rounder I get it, but, I'm just not sold.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm hoping that RH forward is Jacob Perreault, but it is extremely unlikely that he slips to the 2nd round.

Perreault's DY -1 season was better than Rossi's, don't think there's any chance he doesn't go on 1st round.

Also this DY -1 season is better than current best OHL 2021 draftee, Mason McTavish. Tells a lot about that 2021... or how strong this 2020 will be.

His 2-season data is TOP4 in OHL after Byfield, Perfetti, Rossi.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Sorry everyone for the salty post. Bit of a bad day...

Half-measures was the wrong way to put it, and I can see some value with them as later picks.

With Dufour, I liked the uptick in production following the trade, but he can't skate.

Dion, small, and can't skate.

Torgersson, for me is meh. I've read that he needs improvements in multiple areas. For a late rounder I get it, but, I'm just not sold.
Agree Dufour's skating sucks, that's why I see him mocked to go in the 4th round. Which wouldnt be a terrible spot to take a chance on him. I really like the rest of his game.

Jacob Dion I see a little bit of Torrey Krug in him and in the 5th round thats a good swing to take.

Torgersson I like all way round, especially if we pick him since he's from the frolunda organisation.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Perreault's DY -1 season was better than Rossi's, don't think there's any chance he doesn't go on 1st round.

Also this DY -1 season is better than current best OHL 2021 draftee, Mason McTavish. Tells a lot about that 2021... or how strong this 2020 will be.

His 2-season data is TOP4 in OHL after Byfield, Perfetti, Rossi.

Even if Rossi's D-1 year wasn't overwhelming statistically when compared to this season he was still voted OHL Eastern Conference's smartest player and considered one of it's best defensive forwards in 2019. And Jacob Perreault scored exactly 1 more goal than Rossi in 10 more games during their D-1 year. No way was his D-1 better.

I wouldn't put too much stock in D-1 year because in many cases it's circumstantial. Sometimes good kids with high end skill are buried on teams with very good 1st and 2nd lines so the icetime is lacking. Then in their draft years they get hot (Jack Quinn, for instance) and look like they are the real deal.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Perreault be the guy that is a reach and picked around 11-15, or fall into the mid to late 2nd round. He looks like a less skilled version of Peterka to me personally. I like the wheels, I like the hands, but there's something that's missing from his game IMO. His chances come mostly on the rush so I wouldn't expect him to be a line driver, but he appears to have a lot of Athanasiou in his game. Not very good in his own zone and floats a lot when he doesn't have the puck. I don't know if he's a potential 30 goal guy or that 3rd line winger you want more from that gets 20 goals and 10 assists but remains a liability.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Our goalie everyone wants: Max Väyrynen
Our top 6 center that can shoots with pin-point accuracy ala Patrick Sharp: Marat Khusnutdinov

Kid has a motor that doesn't quit

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Our goalie everyone wants: Max Väyrynen
Our top 6 center that can shoots with pin-point accuracy ala Patrick Sharp: Marat Khusnutdinov

Kid has a motor that doesn't quit

If he still available at 32, Wings should get him, but it will be plenty to choose from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->