Who do you want Jack Hughes to play for?

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
You’re using one 4th overall pick nearly 15 years before their first cup win of the era to say they sucked their way to the top.

Read that sentence a few more times and hopefully you’ll see how bad your argument is.

Not exactly, that was what turned the tide, they also had the 1986 draft, you know, first overall pick in Joe Murphy who was later traded. Plus how many years of top 10 picks did they have? 13? 11? I can't remember but it was a lot. My objection is that you are making this out to be a choice that the Red Wings made, it was not. They sucked for a long, long time and through terrible management and drafting the just kept right on sucking. They did not make some kind of honorable choice to not get better, they tried, they just didn't have much success until they drafted Yzerman. Yzerman was a player they got because they sucked.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Have you looked at the players they got in that draft? Only two of those players were on a Wings SC team and one of them didn't even play in the playoffs. The draft that really changed the team was six years later when they got Lidstrom Fedorov and Konstantinov. And that was followed up by adding more key players in the next three drafts

The Red Wings did not make a choice to not get better by sucking, they sucked for a long time and finally got better because of that draft to start and like I said, there was a lot more to it. They also made trades, some even included guys who they picked first overall. There was nothing noble about what they did as the person I responded to was making it seem. They sucked, they used assets acquired by sucking to get better just like every team does.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Leafs trade Gardiner for a 1st & then the team tanks:

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Hughes - Kadri - Browny
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Other teams that may be good for Hughes to land on is:
Oilers, Avs (via Sens), and Sabres as he will have elite forwards to play with plus shielding him and can have higher chance for better development and success.

Oilers!?

They’ve had an embarrassment of riches in this dept.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Never been a big redwings fan, but think he would fit in nice there.

Selfishly i wouldn't want our division to get better...

So I'll hope for Arizona. Edmonton would be a riot though. Avs via sens would be quite the story line.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
upload_2018-10-14_10-11-42.jpeg

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Leafs trade Gardiner for a 1st & then the team tanks:

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Hughes - Kadri - Browny
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen

Getting so bored of seeing Leafs lineups, we get it you have Matthews and Tavares...

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The team I cheer for of course, if we don't get him then i could really care less where he goes to as my team didn't get him and I move on to other matters.

Reactions: rfournier103

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I want him to go to Arizona. Montreal also makes sense (and is keeping with their identity as the midget team).

I hope if Columbus somehow misses the playoffs and is looking like they're going to lose Panarin, they magically get him and keep up the growth of the franchise. Definitely a lot of market potential especially as Chicago, Detroit, and eventually Pittsburgh slow down.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Arizona.

The Pacific gets stronger. The Coyotes get their own superstar and can stop salivating about a Matthews offersheet.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I want him to go to Arizona. Montreal also makes sense (and is keeping with their identity as the midget team).

I hope if Columbus somehow misses the playoffs and is looking like they're going to lose Panarin, they magically get him and keep up the growth of the franchise. Definitely a lot of market potential especially as Chicago, Detroit, and eventually Pittsburgh slow down.

How would your fanbase react if the BJs GM decides on a one year tank and trades both Panarin and Bobrovsky?

Kind of feels like that's the best move for them.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
if habs got him it would be funny. poehling, suzuki, kotkaniemi...etc
rebuild would be done quite quickly

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
How would your fanbase react if the BJs GM decides on a one year tank and trades both Panarin and Bobrovsky?

Kind of feels like that's the best move for them.
If that were to happen, it needed to be over the offseason.

I can't speak for an entire fanbase and there really isn't a consensus. That said, Columbus fans are done with rebuilds and are ready for a contender. If the two players were to decide to walk, it would be a pretty big and unfortunate blow to a front office (Jarmo and John Davidson) and fanbase that to this point has done most things right. Theyve done a good job of accumulating talent, marketing themselves, and have an owner who is willing to pay to the salary cap.

That's why I would want them to be rewarded by the league / Bettman. I also feel like the league would benefit from a financially successful team in Columbus.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Seems a bit premature to consider him a slam dunk 1st overall

Except he has been head and shoulders above anyone for the last year and a half and through time it’s looking more and more likely there’s a big drop off after him.

So number one is almost guaranteed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad