Who do you want at third overall?

Who do you want at third overall?

• Total voters

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Use the pick. The whole reason to tank is to end up with these high picks. You don’t just trade them away after achieving them.

Yup. Passing on Cooley because “we might get Bedard next year” is an awful idea.
I agree on both counts. We suffered for this pick. Let’s use it. And we should go BPA all the way. I personally like Cooley best. But I’d be okay with Nemec, too.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I’m approaching this draft keeping next year in mind. I’d rather have Bedard, Fantilli and Michkov over Cooley. There isn’t a single defender next year I take over Nemec or Jiricek. BA is NOT building a team where our top two centers could potentially be below 5’11”. It’s not happening, especially since we are in the Bedard running already. Haha

This is also my biggest concern about Cooley.

Edit: But we would need to win Bedard for this to be a problem, which as we have seen is harder than NJD and EDM make it look.

Reactions: PainForShane

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m approaching this draft keeping next year in mind. I’d rather have Bedard, Fantilli and Michkov over Cooley. There isn’t a single defender next year I take over Nemec or Jiricek. BA is NOT building a team where our top two centers could potentially be below 5’11”. It’s not happening, especially since we are in the Bedard running already. Haha
Fantilli is 6’3 and Michkov is a winger.

Also, people don’t like it when I say this, I always get attacked, but Bedard might be a winger too. ;)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Fantilli is 6’3 and Michkov is a winger.

Also, people don’t like it when I say this, I always get attacked, but Bedard might be a winger too. ;)

if the kid doesn’t hit a growth spurt, I’m afraid you’re right. Cooley is a small guy, but Bedard is even smaller. Bedard is obviously younger so the hope is he he’s got some growth left in him. Getting to the combine at 5’9” isn’t going to hurt his stock any because he’s world class. But I can’t imagine Bedard going toe to toe with MacKinnon and ROR and winning those battles often. Haha

My top three for next year is Bedard, Fantilli and Michkov anyhow (in that order). I didn’t think Michkov was a winger. Haven’t looked too much into the kid, just wanna wrap up this year before I get too invested in next season. Haha

rt

May 13, 2004
if the kid doesn’t hit a growth spurt, I’m afraid you’re right. Cooley is a small guy, but Bedard is even smaller. Bedard is obviously younger so the hope is he he’s got some growth left in him. Getting to the combine at 5’9” isn’t going to hurt his stock any because he’s world class. But I can’t imagine Bedard going toe to toe with MacKinnon and ROR and winning those battles often. Haha

My top three for next year is Bedard, Fantilli and Michkov anyhow (in that order). I didn’t think Michkov was a winger. Haven’t looked too much into the kid, just wanna wrap up this year before I get too invested in next season. Haha
Michkov is a winger. Maybe a 50g NHL winger though.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Michkov is a winger. Maybe a 50g NHL winger though.

It's so easy to forget how good he is because he is in Russia and potentially in the KHL for several years after he is drafted. The hype has settled down a little as of late. But the kid is on a whole different level and has already played against men. Seriously if anyone here hasn't watched some of highlights do yourself a favor and change that.

The lead up to next years draft is going to be very fun.

Reactions: Nowotny

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You know... was just thinking. Back to the topic of this thread.

Do we want to keep 3OA to draft Cooley (or maybe a D)? I kind of do (am partial to Cooley). Are other ppl ok with trading down to maybe get other assets? rt made a pretty good point I thought, I really don't know enough about prospects to have an informed decision beyond the very top of the draft

The only possible trade scenario that could exist is if we really wanted Nemec and SEA really wanted Cooley (or vice-versa) and we swap pics or they give us an asset to not take "their guy". I would not want to trade down more than 1 spot with SEA and only if we're going to take the same player anyway.

But it's more likely that we take our guy at number 3.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

This high in the draft you still have to take the BPA. If they think there's a big separation between Cooley and everyone else (including the D) they will take Cooley. He could always be traded for a big package down the road if we wanted to.

But there's always exceptions to every rule. I'm sire we could still build a winning lineup with Cooley & Bedar down the middle (if that were to happen). We would just make sure we have enough size elsewhere in the lineup. Just think about this: could you build a winning team with Crosby (5'11) and Brayden Point (5'10) as your top 2 centers? Probably :)

Reactions: themilosh

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
We're taking Cooley, because we can't rely on the lottery or tanking to get us a center next year.

This year also isn't the Strome draft. Cooley is more polished than Strome was in his draft year (remember the skating issues?).

Also, look at our scouting staff. Our heads for amateur scouting come from the Tampa and St Louis pipelines. A whole world of a difference than what we had we Maloney in 2015.

We'll be fine taking Cooley. Especially since he's going to play at Minnesota for Bob Motzko, one of the best NCAA coaches out there.

And for anybody talking about size, Brayden Point is 5'10 and is Tampa's number 1 center (more or less). Size does not matter. Good players will find a way to get the puck to the net and score.

rt

May 13, 2004
We're taking Cooley, because we can't rely on the lottery or tanking to get us a center next year.

This year also isn't the Strome draft. Cooley is more polished than Strome was in his draft year (remember the skating issues?).

Also, look at our scouting staff. Our heads for amateur scouting come from the Tampa and St Louis pipelines. A whole world of a difference than what we had we Maloney in 2015.

We'll be fine taking Cooley. Especially since he's going to play at Minnesota for Bob Motzko, one of the best NCAA coaches out there.

And for anybody talking about size, Brayden Point is 5'10 and is Tampa's number 1 center (more or less). Size does not matter. Good players will find a way to get the puck to the net and score.
Strome was one of the most productive junior players in modern history. Elite all-time production. He had only skating issues, much like Cooley has only size issues. Cooley doesn't have that same eye-popping production, however. I don't think Cooley is a markedly better prospect than Strome excluding hindsight from the analysis.

I'm just nitpicking, though. I completely agree with you. I want Cooley, I love that he's going to be a Gopher next season, and I think he's a great prospect with a great development path laid out before him.

With Marner vs Strome, my heart said Marner. He was such much more impressive to watch. Way more fun. But my head said we had to take the C. This time, with Cooley, it's both. He's the most fun player in the draft AND he's a center. Best of both. No-brainer.

It's so easy to forget how good he is because he is in Russia and potentially in the KHL for several years after he is drafted. The hype has settled down a little as of late. But the kid is on a whole different level and has already played against men. Seriously if anyone here hasn't watched some of highlights do yourself a favor and change that.

The lead up to next years draft is going to be very fun.
He might be the best player available next draft, but I'm not sure I'd take him before 3rd overall. I just don't want to wait years and years for his arrival. If he even wants to come to Phoenix. Too much uncertainty for my taste, at the moment. I'd rather take a kid like Bedard or even Fantilli. They may not be quite as good, but they're future all-stars, and you don't have to take years convincing them to come play.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i only asked because you have many picks. your highest point player was 63 points yet you have ZERO interest in trading for an 85 point player? im confused.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
i only asked because you have many picks. your highest point player was 63 points yet you have ZERO interest in trading for an 85 point player? im confused.
Rebuilding franchise with eyes on Bedard instead of trying to compete and improve significantly this year while saving $ until out new arena is ready to go.

I know it sounds like an insult but it’s not. We just aren’t interested in Fiala. He doesn’t fit what we are trying to build at the moment.

Reactions: 0point1

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
thats fair, fyi your talking to a guy who has a coyotes pack ice girls poster framed hanging in my house signed by 4 of the ladies. ps i have a decade in the desert hockey puck & a signed mike ricci bobble head doll, i met him when i was in a suite and he was injured. i also have a photo with your mascot, i asked him to pretend like he was punching me but he wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fyreman and jmelm

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
thats fair, fyi your talking to a guy who has a coyotes pack ice girls poster framed hanging in my house signed by 4 of the ladies. ps i have a decade in the desert hockey puck & a signed mike ricci bobble head doll, i met him when i was in a suite and he was injured. i also have a photo with your mascot, i asked him to pretend like he was punching me but he wouldn't do it.

Ha, Howler's a classy mascot. I feel like for years he was probably the most recognizable "person" on our team. Maybe he still is.

Fiala's a great player, but agree with everyone else he doesn't really fit our rebuild schedule, and also as mentioned we're planning on being bad for at least another year or two, Fiala doesn't fit that either.

Looking at your cap, those Parise / Suter buyouts my God. But, to me seems like keeping Fiala / trading Dumba would also solve the issue, would that be better for you guys? Personally I think I would do that, Fiala is good and also that way teams wouldn't be able to isolate on Kaprizov the same way they did against Gaborik. Maybe that's just me though curious to hear your thoughts

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
85 point player means nothing hmmmmm interesting.
I would love him on the Coyotes, but the ask would be too high and at the wrong time for a rebuilding team. Wasn't there a rumor of 2nd OA for him?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Do you not understand we are trying to tank??

So why would we give up meaningful assets to get a player who would improve our team but still have no chance of getting us into the playoffs, and by the time we're ready to compete, he'll be on the decline?

You should try to understand the concept of a "good fit" or a good trade partner, and the right timing in a team's competitive cycle to make a big trade, rather than just looking up how many points Fiala had vs other guys on our team, or how many draft picks we have that you want.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I would love him on the Coyotes, but the ask would be too high and at the wrong time for a rebuilding team. Wasn't there a rumor of 2nd OA for him?

There was a rumour the Devils would trade 6th overall for him, but that likely has changed since they won the lottery.

If I'm New Jersey, I'd rather give up the 2nd overall for Timo Meier than Fiala. SJS is in cap hell and we know that Jersey wants a "bigger" forward like Slafkovsky to complement their lineup. So as much as I love Fiala, Meier is a better fit if SJS is interested.

But if I was Jersey, I would just take Slafkovsky. I think he will be even better than Meier or Fiala -- if not offensively (which is possible), certainly his 200 ft game and physical/size ability to affect the game.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
85 point player means nothing hmmmmm interesting.
Hey DANO! Long time no see.
Yeah Fiala is awesome but doesn't fit the rebuild at all that the Coyotes are doing. Even if the Wild gave him to AZ he'd sit in the press box. It's a bad fit for Fiala as well. The Wild should keep him and move on from Dumba. Addison can slot into Dumba's spot.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
There was a rumour the Devils would trade 6th overall for him, but that likely has changed since they won the lottery.

If I'm New Jersey, I'd rather give up the 2nd overall for Timo Meier than Fiala. SJS is in cap hell and we know that Jersey wants a "bigger" forward like Slafkovsky to complement their lineup. So as much as I love Fiala, Meier is a better fit if SJS is interested.

But if I was Jersey, I would just take Slafkovsky. I think he will be even better than Meier or Fiala -- if not offensively (which is possible), certainly his 200 ft game and physical/size ability to affect the game.
I thought of another scenario where we pay the Habs to not draft Wright, where they pick Slafkovsky and having NJ reevaluate about trading the 2nd overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad