Who do you want at third overall?

Who do you want at third overall?

• Total voters

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Obviously we're going to assume that Shane Wright is off the table. Personally, assuming that New Jersey doesn't trade their second overall pick, I have a hunch that they're going to draft Juraj Slafkovsky, but I'll include him in the poll. I'm just curious to see what we all think in the form of a poll result.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
New Jersey GM Tom Fitzgerald has said prior to the lottery that he wanted to build the offense out with size to balance things out. Slafkovsky checks all those boxes. I don't see them trading the pick anymore. If drafting seven we might have done something with Chychrun and Jersey but that ship has sailed now that they can just have Slafkovsky.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Slafkovsky is my clear favorite (I might even want him more than I'd want Wright) but if he's not there at 3, then Nemec.

I'm done with shrimpy "electric" forwards for a while. We have plenty of potential already in the system and can mine some more in the later picks. What we don't have is a big 1D prospect, and Nemec and Jiricek certainly qualify as that. Especially if we're bound and determined to get rid of Chychrun, we need a stud on the back end to compensate for that, and the jury's still out on Soderstrom.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I can't say between Cooley/Slaf/Nemec/Jiricek until I see the upcoming mens' WC.

If you hold a gun to my head now, probably Nemec, whether that means we trade down a spot or two or take him at 3.

If you think Nemec (or Jiricek) is a #1 Dman, but Cooley may top out as a really high end 2C, you take the Dman.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
About size - How can one postulate just on its face, that a 6-1 179lb player has superior strength/leverage/reach over a 5-10 179lb player? Strength is more dependent upon muscle density/weight than height. Leverage and reach are more about limb length than about body height. I'm not talking analytics, here, I'm talking measurements.

I'm not concerned about Cooley being tall enough if he is strong enough and has enough reach to play physical.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
About size - How can one postulate just on its face, that a 6-1 179lb player has superior strength/leverage/reach over a 5-10 179lb player? Strength is more dependent upon muscle density/weight than height. Leverage and reach are more about limb length than about body height. I'm not talking analytics, here, I'm talking measurements.

I'm not concerned about Cooley being tall enough if he is strong enough and has enough reach to play physical.
Goofy picture but Cooley at 17 is bigger than some of our players. Not sure why some people think he is scrawny. He is gonna put up some good numbers at the combine.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Maybe I'm just insane, but Cooley hasn't looked top 3 pick quality to me when I've seen him. I want Juraj Dredd (I'm open to better nicknames) way more than any other on the list, Nemec after him.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Montreal needs to move the Weber contract. Weber & 1st overall for 3rd overall is a possibility, but I want nothing to do with the Weber's contract, and I would rather have Wright over Cooley.
Thought about moving back for Nemec or Jiricek, but not too far. Who would want Cooley enough to pay the price. Doubt Seattle would. Philly might, but would they really give up the assets to make it worthwhile for the 'Yotes? Columbus wouldn't and likely draft RHD anyways, so that would be the limit to drafting back, the 6th overall.

Last edited:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Slaf vs Cooley .. Strome vs Marner part 2 ?

same results?

time will tell very interested to see what happens… I am hoping for Cooley..

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Montreal won’t move first overall

We need elite offensive skill. Slaf and Cooley can provide that. I can’t imagine watching that season of shit we just watched to only end up with a defenseman.
"Season of shit"? You have finally come around.:laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
Montreal won’t move first overall

We need elite offensive skill. Slaf and Cooley can provide that. I can’t imagine watching that season of shit we just watched to only end up with a defenseman.
I was good with it when it was more hypothetical. But now that we’ve got the picks locked in, I find myself agreeing with you on this.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Montreal needs to move the Weber contract. Weber & 1st overall for 3rd overall is a possibility, but I want nothing to do with the Weber's contract, and I would rather have Wright over Cooley.

Montreal is not giving up the first overall pick at a draft being held in their own barn. It isn't going to happen. But they have a buttload of first rounders in the next two years that might be on the table in a Weber deal.

Having watched the season of shit as well, I'm convinced that we need a stud defenseman way more than we need a forward. 90% of the time, I go forward over defenseman in my own personal preferences, but considering that the top forwards in this draft aren't generational (or, indeed, even close to it) and that the consensus seems to be that Nemec and Jiricek are equal to them value-wise, I'd be thrilled to get a top defenseman at #3.

You can have all the glitz on the front end you want, but it doesn't help win games when the opponent can just skate back down the ice and drop the biscuit into the breadbasket with absolutely no pushback. And that murdered us this year.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I have been on the Slafkovsky hype train for the past few months. After the lottery gave the Yotes the 3rd pick I have watched a lot more of Cooley and I starting to lean towards Cooley even if Slafkovsky is there...

Don't get me wrong... i'd be happy with either of those two, but leaning towards Cooley because of the fact that he plays Center.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think, gun to my head, this is my personal wishlist for #3:

1) Slafkovsky
2) Cooley
3) Jiricek
4) Nemec
5) Gauthier

I'd be over the moon with any of the top four. Gauthier would be more of a reach for me, but @rt advocacy has influenced me enough that he'd be my pick for "best of the rest."

Caveat emptor: I'm not a scout and I don't play one on the Internet, so I'm sure there are a ton of holes in my logic.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think, gun to my head, this is my personal wishlist for #3:

1) Slafkovsky
2) Cooley
3) Jiricek
4) Nemec
5) Gauthier

I'd be over the moon with any of the top four. Gauthier would be more of a reach for me, but @rt advocacy has influenced me enough that he'd be my pick for "best of the rest."

Caveat emptor: I'm not a scout and I don't play one on the Internet, so I'm sure there are a ton of holes in my logic.
I’m not a scout either. Haha. I just watch the games and pick out the kids I like the best. Then I make sure those impressions aren’t too insanely out of whack from the consensus et viola - I pick which are my favorites at a given spot.

I was shouting Boedker’s name at the TV when we drafted him. Domi too. If that makes me seem like I have any clue, remember I was shouting Gormley’s name and Samuelsson’s, too. ;)

Montreal is not giving up the first overall pick at a draft being held in their own barn. It isn't going to happen. But they have a buttload of first rounders in the next two years that might be on the table in a Weber deal.

Having watched the season of shit as well, I'm convinced that we need a stud defenseman way more than we need a forward. 90% of the time, I go forward over defenseman in my own personal preferences, but considering that the top forwards in this draft aren't generational (or, indeed, even close to it) and that the consensus seems to be that Nemec and Jiricek are equal to them value-wise, I'd be thrilled to get a top defenseman at #3.

You can have all the glitz on the front end you want, but it doesn't help win games when the opponent can just skate back down the ice and drop the biscuit into the breadbasket with absolutely no pushback. And that murdered us this year.
Maybe draft Cooley and then don’t trade Chychrun. There are going to be a bunch of really good blueliners between 25-45 too.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We don't have the glitz you are talking about. Everything starts in net and works forward. We are weak in net, weak on D and weak at forward. Let's see what BA does.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40

Montreal needs to move Weber's contract. Noone wants it! They are at the cap already. They will have to do something.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Slaf vs Cooley .. Strome vs Marner part 2 ?

same results?

time will tell very interested to see what happens… I am hoping for Cooley..

What is interesting -- and I haven't heard any other scouts say this but perhaps it's implicit in all prospect discussions to some extent or another:

When I was listening to the interview on SiriusXM 2 days ago with Mark Seidel, one of the heads of NHL Central Scouting, he basically said that not withstanding their #1 European ranking of Slafkovksy, he has a "higher bust potential" (didn't say compared to whom, so I guess just in general).

This isn't to suggest he's not a consensus top ~ 3 selection, but that maybe it's not 100% that all teams would have him ranked #1 or 2. If NJD is one of those teams and/or if Nemec or Jiricek kill it at the world championships, I wonder if it's not a foregone conclusion that NJD will take him.

Just throwing that out there because I was somewhat surprised to hear that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad