Proposal: Who do you want as the head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Ideally, Babcock... but that will require some trades in quick fashion. Horacek to seasons end.

Realistically, wtf knows. With this organization it might be Shanahan... lol

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Would rather go with Boucher than DeBoer. Like, by a mile.

And I'm not even a big fan of Boucher. Wait to see if Babcock is available, then everyone else.

moonbal

Apr 29, 2013
Pillsbury Toronto
How about this guy? :sarcasm:

xLN4dUM.gif

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'd hire John Tortorella to rattle the cages of these animals.

Let him coach out the year, scream at the entire roster for 3 months. Then after the year whoever you hire will automatically be the good cop

:sarcasm:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I'd hire John Tortorella to rattle the cages of these animals.

Let him coach out the year, scream at the entire roster for 3 months. Then after the year whoever you hire will automatically be the good cop

:sarcasm:

And give up his $2mil / year money from Vancity? Not gonna happen. Who ever hires him will have to match value and term. 4 months to TO not gonna cut it. Thankfully.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
And give up his $2mil / year money from Vancity? Not gonna happen. Who ever hires him will have to match value and term. 4 months to TO not gonna cut it. Thankfully.

It was a joke, thankfully

Torts would be pure entertainment value watching this entire thing go up in flames, so bad you can't look away

Realistically... I think Nonis is trying to save his own job after standing by Carlyle. I'm not sure even if he conducts this supposed coaching search that Shanahan will let him bring in an outsider.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nothing happens until Babcock signs. Once he's gone I'd bet on Deboer(sp).

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I don't care who gets it, as long as they are only signed until the end of the season. There is no rush, and Shanny needs either get Babs, or dig up another gem from "off the boards" using his contacts.

I'm betting that Shanny has a list of about 5 guys who can take the job for the next decade, and he'll get one of those guys in the end.

Swayze*

Why Deboer I don't get it?

Who wants this guy?

If babcock signs in Detroit then Blashill is available.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I don't care who gets it, as long as they are only signed until the end of the season. There is no rush, and Shanny needs either get Babs, or dig up another gem from "off the boards" using his contacts.

I'm betting that Shanny has a list of about 5 guys who can take the job for the next decade, and he'll get one of those guys in the end.

This is kind of my thoughts/point

You have a coach with NHL head coaching experience in Horachek. He's at the very least capable of getting this team to the end of the season. That's pretty much all you're gonna ask of whoever you brig in now anywyas. And no respected coach like Bylsma, Deboer etc is signing a 6 month deal

Imo Horachek coaches with full control to implement his own systems and Shanahan evaluates the players without carlyle.

At the end of the year you find a new GM and let him pick the coach or keep Nonis and let him have full control, based on what you see this season

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Tortorella or Keenan just to watch this core, which has failed under two coaches, suffer.

Realistically, I think they take a run at Babcock with Hunter as the fallback plan. Or maybe they forget about Babcock and go for Hunter.

Last edited:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'd be good with Babcock, Blashill, or Hunter. I also think DeBoer was a good coach as he did a lot with a horrible NJ roster... However I don't know a ton about these names (besides Babcock) so I'll trust management (mainly Shanahan as he's more likely to look for a coach that will have long-term success).

I just don't want the Leafs to go after these somewhat good coaches that historically have short shelf-life and lose the room after a few years like RC, Torts, etc.

mikebel111*

Would rather go with Boucher than DeBoer. Like, by a mile.

And I'm not even a big fan of Boucher. Wait to see if Babcock is available, then everyone else.

Pretty much my opinion as well though I am a fan of Boucher aside from the trap.
If there is one coach that I really want after Babcock, its Todd Mclellan

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why Deboer I don't get it?

Who wants this guy?

If babcock signs in Detroit then Blashill is available.

The general belief is that DeBoer is a far better coach than what the hockey world saw in New Jersey before he was let go. Not sure how I feel about that - he did take a decent, but not great Devils team, to a cup final.

But he also struggled mightily behind a pretty poor Devils roster that isn't all that worse from the Leafs roster currently.

I think the fact that there are interim coaches right now probably means they have a wait-and-see-on-Babcock-approach, which isn't the wrong one. If you can't land Babcock, then make a decision in the off-season - Bylsma, DeBoer, and others might be there. You might also have McClellan or Sutter, or others there as well.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Not true. If he signs for less than $2M a year, Vancouver has to pay the difference.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Again, jeff Blashill (Detroit's AHL coach) is the RIGHT guy for the job !! Call the red wings, ask for either babcock or blashill and sign the one they are not signing long term

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The general belief is that DeBoer is a far better coach than what the hockey world saw in New Jersey before he was let go. Not sure how I feel about that - he did take a decent, but not great Devils team, to a cup final.

But he also struggled mightily behind a pretty poor Devils roster that isn't all that worse from the Leafs roster currently.

I think the fact that there are interim coaches right now probably means they have a wait-and-see-on-Babcock-approach, which isn't the wrong one. If you can't land Babcock, then make a decision in the off-season - Bylsma, DeBoer, and others might be there. You might also have McClellan or Sutter, or others there as well.

Horachek is not a bad coach. He is probably not a long term solution but he knows the guys and has formed relationships with them. He is smart and has been fairly good on poor teams which must be taken into consideration.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
1. Babcock (Pipe dream)
2. Blashill (If Detroit re-signs Babcock)
3. McLellan (If San Jose lets him go, which might happen)
4. Dale Hunter (We already have one of the Hunters and he took Washington farther than any coach has taken them with their current core)
5. Stick with Spott and/or Horachek

Hell no to Bylsma, Yeo, or DeBoer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad