Speculation: Who do you think will/want to start in goal vs. Chicago?

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
For one who's touted as an athletic goalie it's interesting that his save percentage on deflections is so low..

You'd think that 'athleticism' would be a goalies best weapon against deflected shots.

nope. Deflections and screens you are always taught to get in sound POSITION and square up to the shot and make yourself big. Rick St.Croix taught me himself about keeping arms tight to your body and filling space on delections. Basically the idea is that you square up and take up enough net that the puck can maybe find its way and go around you, but never let it go through you.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i think that a message is being sent to Pavs. don't know if Noel is sending it directly or if Chevy's forcing his hand or Noel fears for his job (which, again, i said would come down to the CHI-DET-CHI series).

but i'm very confident that Montoya will start and i think that's the right choice.
it's almost lose-lose for Montoya. if he plays well and loses, Pavs will get a start. and i don't expect the Jets to beat Chicago at home with Kane questionable and our D questionable.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I just want to repeat something about that study:
take those numbers with a grain of salt...

sv% takes 2k+ to regress to mean (ie: be a good sample size)

so compartmentalize sv% means each category probably needs similar or more for that to be more than just indicative of what happened... ie: be predictive of future success (measure true talent)

neat area though

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Not wanting to poop on Pavelec... but, I'm about to anyways since this is neat stuff.

Chris Boyle has been essentially looking at every shot, goal and situation a goaltender faces.
He's been comparing 30 different goalies statistically, looking at different situations, in trying to learn more about shot quality and how/why we see variations in sv% that we do.

He's released some of it in an article here:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/maple-leafs-reimer-showing-unique-ability/

The article doesn't have much on Pavelec, and is centred on Reimer, but I've asked him a few things over twitter. Thus far he has found that, the look at different type of situations and shot quality actually makes Pavelec look even worse, not better like some think.

The article does have one item with Pavelec, here's 5 guys compared to the average of the 30 starting goalies studied:
BOYLE_2.jpg

*some of the overall averages are lower as Boyle went through removing phantom shots

I'm sure there are some who would argue that the quality of deflections Pav has had to deal with are much more difficult to save than the ones those other goalies have had to deal with.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Something I would love to see is Monty play well tomorrow against Chicago. Followed by Pavs having a lights out game against the Preds. We may not have a great starting goalie, but wouldn't we all love to see us develop a nice little tandem.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

so compartmentalize sv% means each category probably needs similar or more for that to be more than just indicative of what happened... ie: be predictive of future success (measure true talent)

neat area though

Why are Pavs' stats based on 1171 shots and not 2300-3200 shots like the others?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Something I would love to see is Monty play well tomorrow against Chicago. Followed by Pavs having a lights out game against the Preds. We may not have a great starting goalie, but wouldn't we all love to see us develop a nice little tandem.

I would love to see both of them play well pretty much every time out any way that comes.

Normally I say play the better goalie over the hot goalie. That said, I do like the idea of a tandem in this scenario for two reasons:

1) I don't know which goalie is the better goalie and I feel they are fairly close regardless.

2) Pavelec has a reported history of being resistant to coaching and less than a hard worker. A little competition may drive him to work harder.

PegCityPuck

Mar 8, 2012
Pavs needs another kick at the can after getting pulled last game. But I do love the Big Cubano! I love how aggressive he is on the puck lol. He is crazy! Yeeeeeeee! :yo:

PegCityPuck

Mar 8, 2012
i would like to see stats on how many goals we have put into own our net vs other teams. I bet its in line with other teams but it sure happens a lot!

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA

Remember the Tippett quote about the 2 defensemen, and which one he kept/traded? Same thing here. It's not just that Montoya has a .939 SV% and 1.69GAA this season versus Pavelec's .902 and 3.09.

EVEN IF THEY HAD IDENTICAL SV%, there's still the fact that Montoya allows fewer juicy rebounds, and handles the puck better, RESULTING IN FEWER SHOTS AGAINST, contributing to a lower GAA. A lower GAA is what it's all about. It means more wins.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Remember the Tippett quote about the 2 defensemen, and which one he kept/traded? Same thing here. It's not just that Montoya has a .939 SV% and 1.69GAA this season versus Pavelec's .902 and 3.09.

EVEN IF THEY HAD IDENTICAL SV%, there's still the fact that Montoya allows fewer juicy rebounds, and handles the puck better, RESULTING IN FEWER SHOTS AGAINST, contributing to a lower GAA. A lower GAA is what it's all about. It means more wins.

Tis true... I wonder how much Montoya's puck/rebound skills affect those numbers...

Maybe I'll do a similar study between Monty vs Pav's

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Someone needs to email that chart to Noel, Pavelec and Flaherty. Wake them up.

I'm not a Pavs fan but according to Lawless Pavs and Flaherty have been out early before practice working for over the last week. So it sounds like Pavs isn't satisfied and is putting in the work. Whether it works or not I'm not sure!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That article brought a big fight around the stat nerd world... Mostly because the whole how much can you make from splitting up and compartmentalizing each area of sv% and lessen the sample spacing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Still waiting for ya to round up some of those posts from people who are wildly overrating Montoya, Duke...

*crickets*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad