Speculation: Who do you think will/want to start in goal vs. Chicago?

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Just curious given Pav's stinker against the Hawks and Montoya's solid play against the Wings, who do you WANT to start in net against the Hawks on Wednesday? And, since we love speculating what's going on in Claude's head, who do you THINK will start in net?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
For me its not about the past couple of games. Its about the past couple of seasons. I want Montoya to get some more time so I can see what he can do. I pretty much know what pavs can do...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Wow unanimous for want Monty lol...team needs a potential spark, Monty could be that. So why not?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Montoya used to be a goalie with lots of potential. I'd like to see if that potential is showing itself. What is there to lose?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
For me, Montoya helps create more offense - sound strange for a goalie? His ability with the puck and his constant communication seem to help the defense control the play in their own end, and ultimately break out.

Similar to what we saw with Crawford, he becomes an additional active defender. Statistically, he's not much different than Pavelec, but this added dimension is definitely helpful.

Would like to see him get the next start - ride the hot hand, and create some competition.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Hoping Al gets the call, I like Pavelec but he is showing signs of frustration and being burnt out (already). Montoya is a good goaltender who deserves to play more, if we keep winning, swapping two semi decent goaltenders is a good idea. Split the games 60/40.

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I could see Montoya starting and getting lit up. In season one I recall at least one occasion where they went with Mason after he got a solid win and he played like garbage the next game, making them stick with Pavelic more often.

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
Two words: Big CUBANO . It'll be a major test, but a win in the Mad House? Heck, just getting a point, that would be sweeeeeeet.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Montoya used to be a goalie with lots of potential. I'd like to see if that potential is showing itself. What is there to lose?

There have been a lot f elite goalies who didn't come into there own until they were around 30, think Thomas, Hasek, etc.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I could see Montoya starting and getting lit up. In season one I recall at least one occasion where they went with Mason after he got a solid win and he played like garbage the next game, making them stick with Pavelic more often.
Tell me you didn't just compare Mason with Montoya :)

Al Montoya is leagues better than Chris Mason, the only team Mason managed to get the jump on consistently was the Hurricanes. This season alone Montoya has blanked the Devils and has now beaten the Red Wings.

Montoya is a very active goaltender which is good for our team, he likes to play the puck not just burn his defense out.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
There have been a lot f elite goalies who didn't come into there own until they were around 30, think Thomas, Hasek, etc.

To be fair, neither Thomas or the Dominator posted very many ~.890 seasons ever in their professional lives. Montoya is at 4 and counting, 8 seasons into his career. I won't deny that the thought has crossed my mind or that there's always the potential for potential :sarcasm: but I highly doubt Montoya is the next Thomas.

Either way, play the hot goalie. Montoya's playing great right now, Pavelec has been off his game a bit. If Montoya gives us better goaltending, reward that with a start. He seems to give the team confidence and his puckhandling is a pleasure to watch.

Hopefully it'll also give Pavelec the incentive to work his ass off, because more than anything that's what we need from him right now.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm thinking Montoya and hoping Montoya. His ability to help the D out with competent puck handling alone is probably worth it. I'm not looking for Roy or Hasek or even Miller - I'm just looking for replacement level goaltending.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Tell me you didn't just compare Mason with Montoya :)

Al Montoya is leagues better than Chris Mason, the only team Mason managed to get the jump on consistently was the Hurricanes. This season alone Montoya has blanked the Devils and has now beaten the Red Wings.

Montoya is a very active goaltender which is good for our team, he likes to play the puck not just burn his defense out.

Chris Mason was a starting goaltender for a few seasons in his career. Montoya has yet to accomplish that.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Chris Mason was a starting goaltender for a few seasons in his career. Montoya has yet to accomplish that.

Good lord, so because Monty has never made starting, he's somehow less of a goaltender than Mason?

And if a person never gets a chance, how will we ever know... :dunno:

Furthermore, if he starts two games in a row, he's likely to get "lit up" because that's the exact same thing that happened to Mason last year? :huh:

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Good lord, so because Monty has never made starting, he's somehow less of a goaltender than Mason?

And if a person never gets a chance, how will we ever know... :dunno:

Furthermore, if he starts two games in a row, he's likely to get "lit up" because that's the exact same thing that happened to Mason last year? :huh:

Montoya has been part of NHL organizations since 2005, its not like he's some hidden talent that never got a pro shot. And yes at this point in time over the scope of their careers, Mason is the superior goalie career wise. Mason's career is pretty much over now, and Monty can still improve.

And when did I ever say any of that? I was just saying knowing our luck that's what would happen.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
And just to clarify, for those out there that shall remain nameless, I'm not advocating that Monty be automatically and arbitrarily handed the #1 position because of his play in one or two games.

I, like many others have said, ride the hot goalie.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
I could see Montoya starting and...

Montoya has been part of NHL organizations since 2005, its not like he's some hidden talent that never got a pro shot. And yes at this point in time over the scope of their careers, Mason is the superior goalie career wise. Mason's career is pretty much over now, and Monty can still improve.

And when did I ever say any of that? I was just saying knowing our luck that's what would happen.

I only saw was typed, not what you were actually thinking.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Well of course. Noel is responsible for every lose. The wins are because the team played well despite being coached by him.
Now you're getting it :D

The team did play really good yesterday, the addition of Ellerby looks solid. Actually hoping Kane sits a few more games with his "injury" cause the team actually played together yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad