Speculation: Who do you think will/want to start in goal vs. Chicago?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Wow this fanbase really has no trust in Pavelec. I don't think it's just Montoya, the team really plays better in front of him.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Wow this fanbase really has no trust in Pavelec. I don't think it's just Montoya, the team really plays better in front of him.
I wouldn't say I distrust him, I just think this rest is good for him to wake him up.

I like Pavelec, his saves are acrobatic, but lately he has been inconsistent, if he could morph into a consistent Jimmy Howard type goaltender then we could be a contender.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Who knows which direction Noel is going to go in. We also don't know if it's solely Noel's decision to choose the starting goaltender for each game.

My gut tells me we'll see Pavelec in net against the Hawks but I'd really like to give Montoya a chance to build on his great performance last night. I also touched on it in the GDT but it'd be nice to have some competition between these two guys so they Pavs doesn't get too comfortable.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I THINK Noel realizes that Monty is playing well and Pavs isn't.
If I'm right about that we'll see Monty vs the 'Hawks and Pavs vs the preds.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not a huge believer in the "hot hand", so it doesn't make a difference to me who starts this specific game. Although I think Montoya's play has earned him a lot more starts relative to last year, when those starts are is unimportant as far as I'm concerned.

jetkarma*

Now you're getting it :D

The team did play really good yesterday, the addition of Ellerby looks solid. Actually hoping Kane sits a few more games with his "injury" cause the team actually played together yesterday.

I hope our best player is healthy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Montoya has earned the right to start tomorrow.

I'm under no delusions that he is going to be the longterm solution for us though.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Hoping for Montoya, I think he deserves it after what he's shown us in these few games. I have a feeling that Noel won't be changing his ways, though, and will want Pav in net so we don't hurt his feelings.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Hoping for Montoya, I think he deserves it after what he's shown us in these few games. I have a feeling that Noel won't be changing his ways, though, and will want Pav in net so we don't hurt his feelings.
A coach whose job is on the line and has to get as many points as possible should care little about hurt feelings.

We need dem wins!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not wanting to poop on Pavelec... but, I'm about to anyways since this is neat stuff.

Chris Boyle has been essentially looking at every shot, goal and situation a goaltender faces.
He's been comparing 30 different goalies statistically, looking at different situations, in trying to learn more about shot quality and how/why we see variations in sv% that we do.

He's released some of it in an article here:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/maple-leafs-reimer-showing-unique-ability/

The article doesn't have much on Pavelec, and is centred on Reimer, but I've asked him a few things over twitter. Thus far he has found that, the look at different type of situations and shot quality actually makes Pavelec look even worse, not better like some think.

The article does have one item with Pavelec, here's 5 guys compared to the average of the 30 starting goalies studied:
BOYLE_2.jpg

*some of the overall averages are lower as Boyle went through removing phantom shots

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
So matter-of-fact... :cry:

I'd rather he be viewed honestly by the press, to be fair. It was so much more annoying to see him article after article anointing him as the only thing keeping this team in games when he clearly wasn't and his stats reflected it.

If the reality of the situation has finally been accepted as status quo, then at least we can hope that the organization is more aware of our need for goaltending than they were when they offered Pavs that contract in the first place.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd rather he be viewed honestly by the press, to be fair. It was so much more annoying to see him article after article anointing him as the only thing keeping this team in games when he clearly wasn't and his stats reflected it.

If the reality of the situation has finally been accepted as status quo, then at least we can hope that the organization is more aware of our need for goaltending than they were when they offered Pavs that contract in the first place.

Yeah, I'm with ya. Still hurts to read, though. :laugh:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Where? Re-post some of the posts where people are overrating Monty!

Seriously! I don't see it.

Me neither.

Most want to start Montoya because he's the hot-hand and for whatever reason the team as a whole plays better with him in net. For which I 100% agree. I think that's a fair reason. I'm not really seeing the whole Monty love-fest that some are trying to say exists.

Personally, I don't like Pavelec. I think that much is well known. Does that mean I think Montoya is some amazing goaltender? No. Has he outplayed Pavs in his limited starts? Yes. For that I'd ride him till he slumps and then once again see what Pavs can do. If Pavs gets hot I'd ride him too. In my eyes they're both backup level goalies and I'd play whoever has been playing best recently and that just so happens to be Montoya.

White Out 403*

Not wanting to poop on Pavelec... but, I'm about to anyways since this is neat stuff.

Chris Boyle has been essentially looking at every shot, goal and situation a goaltender faces.
He's been comparing 30 different goalies statistically, looking at different situations, in trying to learn more about shot quality and how/why we see variations in sv% that we do.

The article doesn't have much on Pavelec, and is centred on Reimer, but I've asked him a few things over twitter. Thus far he has found that, the look at different type of situations and shot quality actually makes Pavelec look even worse, not better like some think.

The article does have one item with Pavelec, here's 5 guys compared to the average of the 30 starting goalies studied:
BOYLE_2.jpg

*some of the overall averages are lower as Boyle went through removing phantom shots

I feel like making this my signature. Unreal indictment on not only pavelec, but people who fall over themselves making excuses. NM people, I'm talking about noel, TSN 1290 hacks on the post game radio.. it's ridiculous. This graphic says in very few words and #'s what's painfully obvious to most: Pavelec is a gigantic bust.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

BOYLE_2.jpg

For one who's touted as an athletic goalie it's interesting that his save percentage on deflections is so low..

You'd think that 'athleticism' would be a goalies best weapon against deflected shots.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Resurrection - I must say your fascination with Pavs fascinates me. :laugh: ;) Edit: in case it's not clear, I do agree with you.

Start Monty, Noel! Do eeit! Ride the hot hand. :nod:

For one who's touted as an athletic goalie it's interesting that his save percentage on deflections is so low..

You'd think that 'athleticism' would be a goalies best weapon against deflected shots.

IMHO: combine athleticism with out of position, and that athleticism will only get you so far.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad