Who do you think should get the axe?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Havlat was hurt (surprise!) so I don't think he could be moved.

He could be moved if he waived his NMC but he couldn't be bought out that first year of the CBO. The same for Burish although I don't know why they didn't use the CBO on him the 2nd year.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Maybe I'm misremembering the 12-13 Kings series, but I thought he was pretty good. I know he was great in Round 1 against Vancouver.

He was great against a bad Vancouver team. Big celebration!

Against LA, he struggled, especially after the first two games. The whole top half of the team struggled, to be fair.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I seem to see Thornton get chopped on the wrists every other face off and physically targeted in the playoffs. The Sharks don't seem to do that with other teams. Except Brown going after Quick a few times.

They are always getting lots of injuries, but they don't give out too many. Maybe Torres, but the league took care of him.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't know, but I tend to lean more towards DW than TMac. The reason is that defenses win more cups than not, and it is not common that an average defense even makes it to the finals.

This lack of building a defense is what I tend to hang on DW's coat rack.

Classic doesn't get injured, I believe we end up winning that series and have a good play in the rest of the playoffs.

If we added 1-2 pieces, we would have been even better placed.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda..... and don't forget the playoff series with the Kings in the prior season. With Torres, I believe the Sharks would have advanced. I do agree with you that Sharks were only 1-2 positions away from being a serious contender in either year. Sharks just need a goalie with an above average SV%, and a solid defender. Hell, I will even go as far as saying with a goalie like Price on the team this year, Sharks would be either #1 or #2 in the division this year.

League parity has changed this into a game of inches, with little room for mistakes.... DW needs to understand that and I believe the level of parity this year caught him off guard. He believed he had more padding, or margin of error to be a playoff team. Oops!

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
He was great against a bad Vancouver team. Big celebration!

Against LA, he struggled, especially after the first two games. The whole top half of the team struggled, to be fair.

Disagree about LA, and bad team or not, was it still not in the playoffs? Should LA's 11-12 Cup not count either?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't know, but I tend to lean more towards DW than TMac. The reason is that defenses win more cups than not, and it is not common that an average defense even makes it to the finals.

This lack of building a defense is what I tend to hang on DW's coat rack.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda..... and don't forget the playoff series with the Kings in the prior season. With Torres, I believe the Sharks would have advanced. I do agree with you that Sharks were only 1-2 positions away from being a serious contender in either year. Sharks just need a goalie with an above average SV%, and a solid defender. Hell, I will even go as far as saying with a goalie like Price on the team this year, Sharks would be either #1 or #2 in the division this year.

League parity has changed this into a game of inches, with little room for mistakes.... DW needs to understand that and I believe the level of parity this year caught him off guard. He believed he had more padding, or margin of error to be a playoff team. Oops!

Torres brought a lot of life into this team. It's really unfortunate he's been out for two years. Hopefully he'll be good to go early next year.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I seem to see Thornton get chopped on the wrists every other face off and physically targeted in the playoffs. The Sharks don't seem to do that with other teams. Except Brown going after Quick a few times.

Sharks tend to get called when they do. It's pretty incredible.

Joe Thornton eats the most uncalled high sticks out of anyone I've ever seen in the entire league, which is incredible given how big he is. It's ****ing criminal.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Sharks tend to get called when they do. It's pretty incredible.

Joe Thornton eats the most uncalled high sticks out of anyone I've ever seen in the entire league, which is incredible given how big he is. It's ****ing criminal.

The Sharks have been coached to not get hurt (don't play physical). Thornton is big, but top heavy and gets knocked down ALOT! Watch the Ottawa Senators and how physical they are and how much they hustle. Put that on a team with more talent and you have the recipe for a cup.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The Sharks have been coached to not get hurt (don't play physical). Thornton is big, but top heavy and gets knocked down ALOT! Watch the Ottawa Senators and how physical they are and how much they hustle. Put that on a team with more talent and you have the recipe for a cup.

:laugh: Yeah the Sharks don't ever get injured.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
The ottawa sun says that mclellan could possibly be the next head coach of the edmonton oilers.

I think it's probably safe to assume that every team with a head coaching vacancy will have some level of interest in McLellan if he "mutually agrees" to go.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

I think doug wanted to make a decision after Mcjesus pick

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
I think the Sharks should do something similar to what Toronto did, new GM, new coaching staff, new scouting staff.

I don't see it as a panic move, but instead as the institution of new philosophy into a franchise that has ZERO indentity right now.

Unfortunately that would require someone in hockey operations who is both knowledgeble and has a goal in sight. That is something the Sharks do not have.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
It would either be the team's pick or a specific number in the round and then push everyone back one.

I assume they'd add it at the end of the round. Just wondering the conditions and what year (probably wouldn't work if it's a mutual parting). Would be a convenient way of fixing their offer sheet problem if it counts that way.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I assume they'd add it at the end of the round. Just wondering the conditions and what year (probably wouldn't work if it's a mutual parting). Would be a convenient way of fixing their offer sheet problem if it counts that way.

According to a Sportsnet article, it's a three year period where the team taking the coach has the option to give up the appropriate pick so it sounds like it's the team's pick going the other way.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-compensated-losing-coaches-gms/

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
According to a Sportsnet article, it's a three year period where the team taking the coach has the option to give up the appropriate pick so it sounds like it's the team's pick going the other way.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-compensated-losing-coaches-gms/

Ah, I guess it makes sense to penalize the team taking said management.

What is this in regards to?

A team gets a 3rd round pick if part of their management is signed by another team while still under contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad