Who do you think should get the axe?

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So after a season that many could consider a failure, depending on how you look at it who do you think gets the axe? Mclellan or Wilson? Or both? I say that it could be considered a failure because even if we did manage to squeak in to the playoffs I don't think we would have done much damage to be honest. Sure it sucks that we missed the playoffs but I'm happy that we have a top 10 pick in a really deep draft this year and with more young guys like Tierney, Goodrow, Karlsson, Mueller and Hertl emerging, and Goldobin likely to join the team next year, we should have a solid young core led by Couture and Pavelski.

But the question remains though, who should get the axe between Wilson and Mclellan? I think Wilson deserves most of the blame since he did nothing to improve us in the off season.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
So after a season that many could consider a failure, depending on how you look at it who do you think gets the axe? Mclellan or Wilson? Or both? I say that it could be considered a failure because even if we did manage to squeak in to the playoffs I don't think we would have done much damage to be honest. Sure it sucks that we missed the playoffs but I'm happy that we have a top 10 pick in a really deep draft this year and with more young guys like Tierney, Goodrow, Karlsson, Mueller and Hertl emerging, and Goldobin likely to join the team next year, we should have a solid young core led by Couture and Pavelski.

But the question remains though, who should get the axe between Wilson and Mclellan? I think Wilson deserves most of the blame since he did nothing to improve us in the off season.

Except it appears it was not his intention to improve in the off-season, he's said so pretty clearly, so I don't see him getting fired for doing what he said he was going to do.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Tired of Hertl getting pushed to the 4th line and seeing no time at C. Worse case scenario he should have gotten a few starts at center when we were eliminated. Bye Todd

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Dear Hasso

well_were_waiting_caddyshack.gif

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Both. They need to clean house and really do a rebuild. You want Thornton there to mentor, fine but the Stench of this team needs to go away.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Both. They need to clean house and really do a rebuild. You want Thornton there to mentor, fine but the Stench of this team needs to go away.

So wouldn't that mean getting rid of Thornton too?

Todd will be let go. His time is up. A new coaching staff will come in and it'll be the same complaints. "Why is Hertl not at center?!"

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Todd's probably gone. Shame too, I really thought he was a great coach. Buffalo will probably get him if they can't land Babs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Both should but neither probably will. I believe that if DW were legitimately thinking about canning TMac, he would've done it already. He wouldn't announce to wait until Wednesday.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

Tired of Hertl getting pushed to the 4th line and seeing no time at C. Worse case scenario he should have gotten a few starts at center when we were eliminated. Bye Todd

Yup!! I think Todd is gone. Does DW really want hertl playing another year not at center? I don't think so. I wonder if they wont get a head coach and just get someone to intern. Like our captaincy.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
There is zero reason to can McLellan. They'd be paying for another coach next season and the new one wouldn't likely warrant the price of paying for two.

The big gripe most seem to have with McLellan is playing ****** vets over younger guys. If Wilson stops supplying him with that ammo, there's no issue.

Didn't sound like Todd wants to be back all that much next season honestly. That's the way the quotes made it sound at least.

Wombley

Nov 29, 2009
My gut tells me TMAC will be the fall guy and he'll be happy to leave (despite him being easily the best coach on paper for a young team). Buffalo will throw a king's ransom at him but for some reason I expect us and St. Louis to swap head coaches after all is said and done. I think they might keep JJ on the staff (if he even wants to stay) but Woodcroft is certainly gone as well if TMAC goes.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Wilson is doing what he said he would. Acquiring more picks and bringing in lots of younger players. He can continue the rebuild.
A new GM would change the culture a bit, but not enough as the same players remain. This draft is too important to screw up by trusting it to an unproven GM.

Tmac didn't do a good job tanking.

I think he is a good coach so keep him. Unless he can be traded for a pick. No point in getting a new coach for next year unless that coach is dedicated to tanking. Maybe Woodcroft?

If a new coach was hired, Thornton still won't shoot and Marleau will still avoid contact.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Woodcroft head coach would be awesome. Especially if he only came out for the 3rd period. Or just make random cameos from time to time.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I think Tmac probably will be the fall guy and get the axe for reasons like Hertl getting no time at centre and I also think Stalock should have seen some more starts because at times he showed signs of brightness. If Todd gets fired who would you guys like to see as a replacement? Imagine if we got Tortorella? Hahaha, oh man.

But I was just saying I don't like what Wilson did in the off-season because we needed a "refresh" as he loves to call it yet all we did was sign John Scott and Tye Mcginn and I don't think we did enough to make up for the losses of Boyle and Stuart on defense even though Burns was a huge boost and Mueller was too and he'll improve soon too but taking Burns off forward left a big hole in our offense because Burns was huge for us last year as a forward. I'm curious though to see what we'll do in this years draft if both are still around or even just Wilson.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
If TMac is fired over Hertl not playing center, that is stupid.

I think he will be fired because the room needs a new voice, Hertl not playing center is my own selfish reason.

And if you have a Scott Hannan, Adam Burish, Mike Brown type on the roster, he is going to play them every night. That falls on DW to, but TM doesn't escape blame

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad