Who do you think should get the axe?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The people that blame others are usually the ones that are failing. I like Pavs and Couture because they want to be the best and are vocal while not putting anyone down in the process. DW and JT need to grow up fast they have the education of preschool kids. :nod: Whoever came up with the idea of Burns on D should be fired but maybe one more chance? He was killer as a forward. Where were we last year when Burns was on O, oh yeah the playoffs? Where are we now because he was on D, nowhere to be found.

If this is how you really analyze hockey there are no words.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I think Wilson needs to go. I don't believe he has the players onside, and I don't think he has the coaching staff onside.

The reality is we were a couple of pieces away from a top side last season that should have been rectified at the trade deadline - namely the weakness in D. What happens in playoffs? Vlasic gets hurt and we fall apart. We solidify the D, we get past the Kings IMO.

That's not to say Wilson hasn't done positive things, but he made some fatal errors in the off-season IMO, and then proceeded to try and degrade the playing group.

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
Did Cooch really say "we didn't win because Todd and the coaching staff were terrible."

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think Wilson needs to go. I don't believe he has the players onside, and I don't think he has the coaching staff onside.

The reality is we were a couple of pieces away from a top side last season that should have been rectified at the trade deadline - namely the weakness in D. What happens in playoffs? Vlasic gets hurt and we fall apart. We solidify the D, we get past the Kings IMO.

That's not to say Wilson hasn't done positive things, but he made some fatal errors in the off-season IMO, and then proceeded to try and degrade the playing group.

Last year we weren't just 1 or 2 pieces away from contending. We were about 3-4 major pieces away from contending.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

I agree and things really didn't have to go the way the did in the off season.

Did Cooch really say "we didn't win because Todd and the coaching staff were terrible."

Yes but he didn't mean it that way...
"A lot of guys were not consistent, and that's why we didn't win. We didn't win because Todd and the coaching staff were terrible. We didn't win because guys didn't show up consistently and play well."

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
You agree with that? What could he have done? We had no CAP room?

DW has been able to make moves before when the team virtually had no cap room so while I know it was an issue I don't think that's the reason they didn't make any moves.

He had said (and continues to say 'til very recently) several times that the 'refresh' started in the 2012/13 season and he wasn't giving up young players, prospects or picks and he stuck by it through this season for the most part.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
DW has been able to make moves before when the team virtually had no cap room so while I know it was an issue I don't think that's the reason they didn't make any moves.

He had said (and continues to say 'til very recently) several times that the 'refresh' started in the 2012/13 season and he wasn't giving up young players, prospects or picks and he stuck by it through this season for the most part.

He certainly didn't expect to be short Havlat, Torres & Vlasic during the PO's. I'm confident he tried to off Havlat. I don't know what else you expect him to do except rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic.

The team was there. We took the SC champs to 7 games no matter how you wanna look at it. Minus 3 starters.

This year we needed room for rookies and he had no intention of making us Cup contenders. From what I saw he made the right decision.

I understand it looks like a wasted year and maybe we could have competed for the Cup this year. I doubt it. So why waste the resources and why not give the young ones more ice time. It will pay off in the future.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
He certainly didn't expect to be short Havlat, Torres & Vlasic during the PO's. I'm confident he tried to off Havlat. I don't know what else you expect him to do except rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic.

The team was there. We took the SC champs to 7 games no matter how you wanna look at it. Minus 3 starters.

This year we needed room for rookies and he had no intention of making us Cup contenders. From what I saw he made the right decision.

I understand it looks like a wasted year and maybe we could have competed for the Cup this year. I doubt it. So why waste the resources and why not give the young ones more ice time. It will pay off in the future.

Well Havlat was just straight up benched but you asked what he could have done last season, he had options if he wanted to make a move.

If you're fine with the direction DW took this past off season that's fine, I wasn't at all happy about it and I think he screwed things up pretty badly.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Well Havlat was just straight up benched but you asked what he could have done last season, he had options if he wanted to make a move.

If you're fine with the direction DW took this past off season that's fine, I wasn't at all happy about it and I think he screwed things up pretty badly.

What options?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Any move would have involved moving a roster player & picks/prospects and having another team retain money. Pretty much how LA got Gaborik.

Yeah, we completely disagree then. Teams need to grow their team more than ever now. Our prospect pool is bad enough. Now was the time to stock up.

Who would you of traded and who do you think we could have gotten?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Yeah, we completely disagree then. Teams need to grow their team more than ever now. Our prospect pool is bad enough. Now was the time to stock up.

Who would you of traded and who do you think we could have gotten?

Are you talking about the off season or at the TDL in 2014?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
2014 TDL or even before that during the season.

Two deals that were made at/around the TDL that I would have been quite happy with were Rundblad for a 2nd & Meszaros for a 3rd (which they ended up giving up for McGinn) and finding a way to get those teams to retain salary could have made them possible.

Maybe those teams don't make a trade with the Sharks, maybe they don't retain salary, who knows but I don't think DW even wanted to make a move.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Like stalockrox said, it's really misleading if you're just reading the quote. You have to hear the context. To paraphrase, it was more "We didn't lose because Todd and the coaching staff were terrible. We lost because guys didn't show up consistently."

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I always dislike the notion I get from JT that he doesn't think that he is at all a problem. I guess that is how most people see themselves..but when he talks about how they want players who can fight adversity...can Joe fight against it?

He's had two terrible playoff performances in a row...and things weren't exactly coming up rosy before then.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Last year we weren't just 1 or 2 pieces away from contending. We were about 3-4 major pieces away from contending.

I disagree. We had the eventual Stanley Cup Champions on the ropes. Classic doesn't get injured, I believe we end up winning that series and have a good play in the rest of the playoffs.

If we added 1-2 pieces, we would have been even better placed.

But that's in the past now. Where do we go from here? Refresh - new management, let them shape the side coaching and roster wise. Re-assess.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I disagree. We had the eventual Stanley Cup Champions on the ropes. Classic doesn't get injured, I believe we end up winning that series and have a good play in the rest of the playoffs.

If we added 1-2 pieces, we would have been even better placed.

But that's in the past now. Where do we go from here? Refresh - new management, let them shape the side coaching and roster wise. Re-assess.

If the Sharks showed up for game 5 at home, they would have gotten past LA.

Havlat was shopped, but his agent announce he was staying. If Havlat was willing to move, Sharks probably could have gotten another depth player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad