Who do you think is going to have a leap in development this year?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Noone expected him to get his hand ruined in Providence. He lost his shot completely after that and never healed fully. He desperately tried to change his game to no avail and without his wrist/snap shot he just lost his confidence. He was always chasing the game after that and just sunk into a downward spiral on the ice. When an offense first player loses his offense completely.....well....
Very different situation than other 1st round flops, poor Zach had a reason for what happened that was mostly not his fault.

Thanks. People harp on that pick all the time but careers unfortunately don't always work out. And it's not really anyone's fault. Doesn't make it a bad pick. (Brett Lindros's concussion)
I don't want to talk too much out of school but was mentioned to me that he had issues with OCD (or something - memory is hazy) which can develop at that age and took awhile to get under control that probably also alludes to the downward spiral. Which sucks. I definitely feel bad for him.
I really appreciated Hamill's game and although I wanted Gagner that year, once he was off board, Hamill was the next player in my mind.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bjork is the easy pick for me up front if he's healthy. I think he'll take the #1 RW role and finally allow them to keep Pastrnak on Krejci's wing, spreading out the offense a bit.

I'll go with Grzelcyk on defense, I think he's going to turn into a nice 2nd pairing LD. He's very intelligent and crafty, good skater and puck mover. They should ease him into more and more minutes as the season goes on (and slowly keep taking time away from Chara).

Reactions: gumgum and Estlin

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I agree with you - my second choice is Carlo. He's going to handily have his best offensive year.

Seny I think is a guy who will thrive with NHL caliber players around him. I don't think he's a guy who will create offense himself, but he is a guy who has the speed to get to the right spots and score goals - put him with Krejci or Coyle and I bet he pops 10-15

Trent Frederic I think will make the team. Lot of people down on him after 15 games and no points....sounds like a familiar situation for Bruins fans.

If a pure goal scorer only scores 10-15 with Krejci / Coyle that is not ideal.

Debrusk is my vote. He is going to be motivated after the playoffs.

Reactions: Lo97

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Debrusk. He had a slowish start to last season and still almost put up 30 goals. He just keeps improving.

For those not penciled in on the roster yet- Bjork. Ill be surprised if he makes it right out of camp, but I think this is his year to official cement himself in the lineup.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I think Don Sweeney needs to make some trades. Either make a move of quantity for some quality or replenish the draft picks. They have been on the search for a top RW for some time. Maybe a big move for someone like Laine or and bit less like Toffoli. Or find a top defenseman that can replace Chara. The Bruins have too many small defenseman in Krug, Grzelcyk, Clifton and Kampfer. Too many players and not enough spots. There needs to be some room for a rookie or two.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-????
Heinen-Coyle-????
Nordstrom-Kurlay-Wagner
Lindholm-Backes-Ritchie
Hopefuls: Kuhlman, Bjork, Frederic, Senyshyn, Cehlarik, Shen, Studnicki

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Miller
Moore- Clifton
Kampfer
Hopefuls: Petrovic, Vaak, Zboril, Lauzon,

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think Don Sweeney needs to make some trades. Either make a move of quantity for some quality or replenish the draft picks. They have been on the search for a top RW for some time. Maybe a big move for someone like Laine or and bit less like Toffoli. Or find a top defenseman that can replace Chara. The Bruins have too many small defenseman in Krug, Grzelcyk, Clifton and Kampfer. Too many players and not enough spots. There needs to be some room for a rookie or two.

Debrusk-Krejci-????
Heinen-Coyle-????
Nordstrom-Kurlay-Wagner
Lindholm-Backes-Ritchie

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Miller
Moore- Clifton
Kampfer
can`t disagree about the need for a RW but I think DS and company believed a guy like Bjork might be that guy but has shown inconsistencies with his games and had horrible luck on the injury front. I don`t believe anyone in the front office thought Seny would be knocking on the door in his rookie year or even his sophmore year, it was well advertised he`d be a work in progress

You don`t get a Laine without a major piece going the other way. As for the making room for rookies? Debrusk, Pasta, Bjork, Carlo, McAvoy and others all played meaningful minutes in their rookie year, DS isn`t afraid of playing those they think are ready

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Debrusk-Krejci-????
Heinen-Coyle-????
Nordstrom-Kurlay-Wagner
Lindholm-Backes-Ritchie

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Miller
Moore- Clifton
Kampfer

The Bruins don't need to replace Chara... They have his replacement right next to him in McAvoy.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
The Bruins don't need to replace Chara... They have his replacement right next to him in McAvoy.
See if you feel the same when Chara’s steadying influence and intimidation factor are gone.

The B’s should bridge McAvoy, and then split him from Chara this year. If he swims, pay him. If he stumbles, then you know he benefited from the gas our 6’9 captain had left in the tank.

Last edited:

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Sean Kuraly. I predict he will show enough offensive abilities (35-40 points) to go along with his defensive game to make re-signing Coyle unnecessary as 3rd line centre.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
If a pure goal scorer only scores 10-15 with Krejci / Coyle that is not ideal.

Debrusk is my vote. He is going to be motivated after the playoffs.
Well if a rookie comes in and can score 10 to 15 goals with anyone I'd be happy, especially if it came from the 3rd line with Coyle.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
See if you feel the same when Chara’s steadying influence and intimidation factor are gone.

The B’s should bridge McAvoy, and then split him from Chara this year. If he swims, pay him. If he stumbles, then you know he benefited from the gas our 6’9 captain had left in the tank.

I love big Z but it's evident that McAvoy stirs the drink on that pairing at this point. McAvoy is the #1 on this team now.

Reactions: Btown and Lo97

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Well if a rookie comes in and can score 10 to 15 goals with anyone I'd be happy, especially if it came from the 3rd line with Coyle.

I don't think it makes the team better especially if that 10-15 goals is next to Krejci.

Once he shows he can score in the AHL then he can get a chance. Until then Kuhlman and others deserve the chance more.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I don't think it makes the team better especially if that 10-15 goals is next to Krejci.

Once he shows he can score in the AHL then he can get a chance. Until then Kuhlman and others deserve the chance more.
You do realize that if both Senyshyn and Kuhlman played the same amount of games Senyshyn would still have more goals. If he hasn't shown he can score in the AHL I guess Kuhlman is a lost cause.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
You did say when he scores more not puts up more points. Also in those 8 games Kuhlman would put up 1.6 goals going by his average goal scoring the AHL.
What? Kuhlman handily out-produced Senyshyn in his time in Providence and played a far more effective all-around game. And HE is the lost cause?

Bad take.

Reactions: Clode

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
One thing I'm looking for this coming season is some transition planning. The obvious one here is Chara. I think Z still has a very important role in our team but obviously his playing days are just about up. So I'd like to see him get less minutes and less games while guys like Clifton and possibly Vaakanainen get more game time, in anticipation of the sad day when our captain leaves a big hole to fill. While Charlie and Carlo are ready to plug that gap, that obviously has a trickle-down effect.

To a lesser extent the future post Bergy and Krejci also needs some thought. Being similar ages and career-long Bruins our two best centres are most likely to bow out at around the same time, and while that's hopefully some way off yet, it's at that point now where we need to start to have some idea of how we're going to replace arguably our two most important offensive positions when it becomes necessary. I'm pretty sure that at present the next top line centre doesn't exist in the Bruins squad or its affiliates. So there's probably not much to be done about that in the next 12 months. But maybe the 2C does. In that case can we give guys like Frederic or Studnicka some decent game time, or give Kuraly a run on the third line? Maybe none of them are ultimately 2C material, but it will still help if we have a better handle on their long-term prospects, so we know whether to count on them stepping up, or if we're better placed to lock them in as good third/fourth line anchors while an alternative is found for the second.

In terms of taking (another) big step forward I'd agree with a few others here in hoping it's DeBrusk. He has all the tools, just needs to stay healthy for long stretches and I reckon he can get a really consistent run of form going and crack 50 points this season. I'd also love for Bjork to stay injury free and see what he can really do.

Reactions: BMC

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
What? Kuhlman handily out-produced Senyshyn in his time in Providence and played a far more effective all-around game. And HE is the lost cause?

Bad take.
I was replying to a bad take which said Senyshyn needed to score more in the AHL to even be considered for him to make the team but then he says that Kuhlman deserves it more even though he scored at lower percentage. Nothing was ever said about points or all-around game just goals. The lost cause part was me being sarcastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad