Who do you think is going to have a leap in development this year?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
DeBrusk seems like the obvious one. Couple years under his belt, contract year, has shown progression and flashes of true talent but just lacks a bit of consistency.

I think McAvoy has already played like an elite defenseman but injuries have prevented him from being able to put together a truly great year. If he plays a full year I think he leaps into the conversation of a true elite D-man in the league.

I think a lot is dependent on opportunity for others, mainly the 2nd line RW spot. Guys like Studnicka, Bjork, whoever.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Gotta believe both Heinen and Debrusk will perform better overall. I'd like to see Heinen eclipse 40 points if he can, and I'd like to see Jake pot 25 goals again, and push his point totals to 50 at least.

I'd like to say Charlie will take a real step forward too, but that depends on if he can stay healthy. I think we'd seem him bag 30-35 points at the very least if he'd stay healthy. I'd be delighted if he scored more than that even. Of course, as a defenseman i'd be happier watching him become the new Chara for this team and become a #1 defenseman who can shut down another team's forwards too

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Bjork (assuming healthy and not showing rust) could be a big x-factor in camp this year. He's the guy that I've always wanted as the #1RW with Bergeron because I feel like his game would fit them so well.
i think it was two years ago that bjorks name was all the rage on that top line.. there were articles and interviews about how well he gelled with bergy and marchand. id love the kid to break out this year it must have sucked coming out of college early when notre dame was a semi power house only to watch hockey in a sling for two years.. im rooting for all the young kids to do well, because our elites are starting to get up there in age .

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
I'm going to go outside the box and say Vladar based on nothing other than we need another Darth to fill the hole left by Quaider. He'll become the heir apparent to Halak after this season.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Heinen. The skill and the hockey sense is there to be a 50-60+ point player. He's my pick if he can improve his consistency and have a little more luck finishing.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Really hard to pick before knowing whom makes the team and what kind of usage they actually get.

I think Krejci could have a monster year. Last season was about as engaged as I've seen him and showed that if he has to do it on his own because his wingers aren't quite there, he's still more than capable. Sometimes we forget he's a first line centre that just hasn't quite had the support the last few seasons so hasn't gotten quite the post-Julien bump in points.

I'd like to see Kuraly play too well for the fourth line. And if on the team I'd like to see what Kuhlman can do with a permanent spot.
Or if McAvoy can work his way into Norris conversation.

Reactions: BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Seriously, though, I hope its Senyshyn, but of the guys that we know are probably going to be on the big club, Clifton is the one. He's not far off and could have a really impressive year, much the way Gryz did after he finally got into the lineup as a regular.

Reactions: sarge88

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Zach Hamill

I'll own up to this name for the thousandth time. I was really happy with that pick. He was arguably the best player in the WHL and an incredibly talented swiss-army knife all situations player that was the best play-maker in the WHL. Never worked out for him in the pros - I think there were some diagnosed issues a year or so after the draft- but that kid was really good. Easy player to pick on and never took that next step but - If you saw Everett play and could look past Mueller - you saw Hamill was the guy driving that team and I personally thought (I wasn't alone) that he was the better player of the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Heinen
-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Coyle-Senyshyn
Kurlay-Frederic-Wagner
Nordstrom, Ritchie

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Chara-Vaak
Lauzon, Clifton

Reactions: Ritmo

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
My first choice is Debrusk but what if krejci doesn't have his usual good years ..... How much will that affect JD?

Aside from Jake I don't really see anyone else having a Major leap in development

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I hope Oskar Steen gets a fair shot based on his development between the 17/18 and 18/19 season.. 19/20 could be fantastic

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I can see Grzelcyk growing into a solid #2 defenceman.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
In the pros; Debrusk, Coyle, Bjork

However I do think we will see John Beecher quickly become one of the hottest names in college hockey and follow a similar trajectory to that of Charlie McAvoy.

In Providence I can see Lauko taking a huge step and being their go-to scorer.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'll own up to this name for the thousandth time. I was really happy with that pick. He was arguably the best player in the WHL and an incredibly talented swiss-army knife all situations player that was the best play-maker in the WHL. Never worked out for him in the pros - I think there were some diagnosed issues a year or so after the draft- but that kid was really good. Easy player to pick on and never took that next step but - If you saw Everett play and could look past Mueller - you saw Hamill was the guy driving that team and I personally thought (I wasn't alone) that he was the better player of the two.

Noone expected him to get his hand ruined in Providence. He lost his shot completely after that and never healed fully. He desperately tried to change his game to no avail and without his wrist/snap shot he just lost his confidence. He was always chasing the game after that and just sunk into a downward spiral on the ice. When an offense first player loses his offense completely.....well....
Very different situation than other 1st round flops, poor Zach had a reason for what happened that was mostly not his fault.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Another vote for Heinen. I think he has elite skill, much like Krejci.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Another vote for Heinen. I think he has elite skill, much like Krejci.

I`m a Heinen fanboy but even I won`t say he has elite skill, I think his hockey IQ however is off the charts, he does things without the puck that go unnoticed by most but I would suggest not by his coaches

I think his ceiling will be a consistent 50-60 pt guy yearly, he`ll never be the driver of a line but a nice complimentary piece

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->