Who do you think is going to have a leap in development this year?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think this is the season that Bergeron kid finally puts together a consistent 200ft game.
It would be nice but keep in mind he was a 2nd round pick. I think he's arguably lived up to that expectation already.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I was replying to a bad take which said Senyshyn needed to score more in the AHL to even be considered for him to make the team but then he says that Kuhlman deserves it more even though he scored at lower percentage. Nothing was ever said about points or all-around game just goals. The lost cause part was me being sarcastic.

Senyshyn is a pure goalscorer. I'd expect him to master that yes.

Other players have different expectations based on play style and talent.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Senyshyn is a pure goalscorer. I'd expect him to master that yes.

Other players have different expectations based on play style and talent.
I understand that but you said based on scoring Senyshyn should not be up but Kuhlman should even though Senyshyn outscored. Now if we want to talk about expectations, play style and talent then everything will change. When Senyshyn was put on a good offensive line he scored and when he wasn't he didn't. If you look at my profile pic you will see him. That game his linemates were Fyten and Koppanen. He had more goals this season then they had points combined. Now I will say that I wish he tore up the AHL so it would shut up alot of the people that complain about the pic but unfortunately he didn't. Now for this season I wouldn't be surprised if both him and Kuhlman make the team. And if they do I expect a career season from Krejci.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Beecher seems like he is going from a bottom six situation on a stacked team to a top six situation on a usually good college team. I'm hoping for a big jump in production given a much better opportunity. Granted I'm not an expert on the state of Michigan hockey but just the opportunity. Not even gonna even read too much into the summer showcase but it certainly doesn't hurt that he got some momentum from that.

Reactions: Cronuss

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Clifton & Kuhlman.

They both impressed me during the playoffs, and if they can deliver under that pace and pressure then the regular season should be easy by comparison.

I think Clifton will be this year's Grzelcyk. I could see him covering top4 minutes for injuries and dominating 3rd pair matchups.

Kuhlman's chemistry with DeBrusk may see him further up in the lineup than you'd expect. Even without that connection I can't see him not being in the top9.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Just read through the thread and only saw one vote for Studnicka. I pick Studnicka with a second to Senyshyn.

I'll happily second (third?) that. From the admittedly limited footage I've seen of him Studnicka looks really slick and seems to have great awareness and vision. Would like to see him get a decent opportunity in a Bs jersey and I think there's a good chance he'll take full advantage of it.

BruinsNetwork

Coyle: Contract year and seems rejuvenated playing in a high-energy environment close to home.

Senyshyn: Has shown marked progress in each season so far, especially in 2GP in BOS at the end of season. Will score 15G this season for either BOS or Providence.

Hughes: Ultra skilled, gritty, hard-nosed little player. Showed us just how dominate he can be with his insane vision and playmaking capability. Caught a bad knee injury or else he’d be on many more radars.

Berglund: Needs to play in a better league, but he’s also highly-skilled and loves to bring his offense to the ice. Could seem him playing in Providence and having a sneaky good offensive year. Has the body type of Gumby though. Definitely needs to add some weight and mass to succeed.

Clifton: Cowboy Clifton just brings it every shift and every game. With injuries to Miller and Moore, he’s a good candidate to start at 3RD next season. We saw what he can bring in the playoffs, now we’ll see what he can bring during an entire season of growth and experience.

Frederic: Had a good year last year and was still up and down between Providence and Boston a lot. He’ll have even more talent around him in Providence this year, but he’ll also be one year wiser and stronger. One his feet catch up to the rest of his body, watch out.

Lauko: Kid is shot out of a cannon every shift and has a chip on his shoulder. Providence was missing players like him last year and he’ll be able to complete just about any line down there, if that’s where he ends up. Think he’ll be in Providence, but he has the potential to be a 15G-20G player as a rookie down there. He’s just too fast and too skilled.

Beecher: Most likely going to start in a middle-six, second-line role for Michigan this season. He’ll be able to stand out as a freshman with his size and speed alone. Think he’s poised for a huge year. A year that will have us pondering when it’s time to take him out of the oven and sign him to his ELC after. Think he stays just 1-2 years at Michigan.

Of course, there’s other players like Studnicka who’s obvious, but less obvious guys like Kuhlman and Steen. I think Kuhlman is too good for the AHL, so I expect him somewhere in Boston. Unless of course they’re trying to jam a square peg (Ritchie) into a round hole (L2 or L3.) Which, unfortunately, isn’t out of the realm of possibilities.

Anyways, thanks for attending my TED Talk. Please don’t yell at me.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think theres a chance a few guys could 'break out' but maybe do so on other teams... the opportunities in boston are going to be limited. Think ryan donato who had a breakout late last year after his trade

as for guys who might have a chance for jobs in boston… my gut call rates them

1/anders Bjork... people might not remember but this guy won jobs in the last 2 camps and has looked very good when healthy. he actually had the job with Bergeron/marchand until he got hurt. hes almost written off as a prospect now so theres tons of room for him to 'surprise' people

2/Karson kuhlman… he was so unheralded when he showed up last year that he still is underrated by the masses even after his solid showing. I am seeing his potential a bit like sean kuraly who stayed underrated for a couple years with us. I am not sure how much upside is there, but I could see him surprising people by moving to center and winning a regular job for the next few years.

3/Brett Ritchie... not all guys respond to a change of scenery but some do. Ritchie was a very highly reguarded prospect that underachieved in dallas. As a big forward there is history of how guys like mike Knuble or benoit pouliot might take until their late 20's and their 2-3-4th team before they become good players. We shall see if Brett Ritchie gets added to the list

4/Zach Senyshen… might follow the ryan donato example and be playing on a new team before this year is over... I dont see him getting his shot in boston but if he stays in the AHL I do expect to see his offense really blossom and that will probably surprise a lot of people here.

5/Trent Federic.. I had origionally thought he could be in Boston this year but we put a lot of obstacles in his way. I could see him really having a dominat year in AHL and possibly replacing coyle next year if coyles contract demands go too high. It would be sad to see coyle move on, but having federic destroy ahl this year and become ready for NHL next year isnt such a bad thing.

neelyforpresident

Dec 25, 2007
Washington
Coyle: Contract year and seems rejuvenated playing in a high-energy environment close to home.

Senyshyn: Has shown marked progress in each season so far, especially in 2GP in BOS at the end of season. Will score 15G this season for either BOS or Providence.

Hughes: Ultra skilled, gritty, hard-nosed little player. Showed us just how dominate he can be with his insane vision and playmaking capability. Caught a bad knee injury or else he’d be on many more radars.

Berglund: Needs to play in a better league, but he’s also highly-skilled and loves to bring his offense to the ice. Could seem him playing in Providence and having a sneaky good offensive year. Has the body type of Gumby though. Definitely needs to add some weight and mass to succeed.

Clifton: Cowboy Clifton just brings it every shift and every game. With injuries to Miller and Moore, he’s a good candidate to start at 3RD next season. We saw what he can bring in the playoffs, now we’ll see what he can bring during an entire season of growth and experience.

Frederic: Had a good year last year and was still up and down between Providence and Boston a lot. He’ll have even more talent around him in Providence this year, but he’ll also be one year wiser and stronger. One his feet catch up to the rest of his body, watch out.

Lauko: Kid is shot out of a cannon every shift and has a chip on his shoulder. Providence was missing players like him last year and he’ll be able to complete just about any line down there, if that’s where he ends up. Think he’ll be in Providence, but he has the potential to be a 15G-20G player as a rookie down there. He’s just too fast and too skilled.

Beecher: Most likely going to start in a middle-six, second-line role for Michigan this season. He’ll be able to stand out as a freshman with his size and speed alone. Think he’s poised for a huge year. A year that will have us pondering when it’s time to take him out of the oven and sign him to his ELC after. Think he stays just 1-2 years at Michigan.

Of course, there’s other players like Studnicka who’s obvious, but less obvious guys like Kuhlman and Steen. I think Kuhlman is too good for the AHL, so I expect him somewhere in Boston. Unless of course they’re trying to jam a square peg (Ritchie) into a round hole (L2 or L3.) Which, unfortunately, isn’t out of the realm of possibilities.

Anyways, thanks for attending my TED Talk. Please don’t yell at me.

Just curious as to what progress Senyshyn has made? He scored 2 less points last year in the same amount of games as the previous season and was a -11. He hasn't evened scored 15 goals in the AHL. I don't understand what people are seeing to conclude he is going to make the jump and contribute in the NHL.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Carlo

Adds a bit more offense

Eventually turns into a 5/20- 25 point player

Bjork & Kuhlman

Reactions: pemulis

BruinsNetwork

Just curious as to what progress Senyshyn has made? He scored 2 less points last year in the same amount of games as the previous season and was a -11. He hasn't evened scored 15 goals in the AHL. I don't understand what people are seeing to conclude he is going to make the jump and contribute in the NHL.

You’re being disingenuous. You cited him having two less points and him being -11, but you omit the fact that he scored two more goals last season than he previously did.

He skated in two games for Boston at the end of the year and in my opinion, he looked like a player for sure. I’d go as far to say that if there were a different name on the back of his jersey, then many more people would be excited about the player they saw. Not saying you, but just in general.

Aside for those things, I watch the player—not the points. For example, Ryan Fitzgerald has had many points in Providence but almost nothing in his game proves to me he’ll be a good NHL’er.

Senyshyn on the other hand has all the tools and physical traits of a second-line winger in the NHL. His ability to process the game isn’t stellar, but he’s made marked improvements in that category. He came into Providence as one of the most raw, unrefined players I’ve ever watched at any level. Since then? He’s made steady progress in his 200-foot game.

I’ve carefully watched every single game Senyshyn has ever played in Providence, most of them more than once, and I sincerely think he’s going to make it to the NHL and be a good player.

Say what you will about the quality of rosters he played against in the final games of the season for Boston, but they still count the same and be still looked good next to Coyle.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
You’re being disingenuous. You cited him having two less points and him being -11, but you omit the fact that he scored two more goals last season than he previously did.

He skated in two games for Boston at the end of the year and in my opinion, he looked like a player for sure. I’d go as far to say that if there were a different name on the back of his jersey, then many more people would be excited about the player they saw. Not saying you, but just in general.

Aside for those things, I watch the player—not the points. For example, Ryan Fitzgerald has had many points in Providence but almost nothing in his game proves to me he’ll be a good NHL’er.

Senyshyn on the other hand has all the tools and physical traits of a second-line winger in the NHL. His ability to process the game isn’t stellar, but he’s made marked improvements in that category. He came into Providence as one of the most raw, unrefined players I’ve ever watched at any level. Since then? He’s made steady progress in his 200-foot game.

I’ve carefully watched every single game Senyshyn has ever played in Providence, most of them more than once, and I sincerely think he’s going to make it to the NHL and be a good player.

Say what you will about the quality of rosters he played against in the final games of the season for Boston, but they still count the same and be still looked good next to Coyle.

If anyone is being disingenuous, it is you for giving someone credit for a 2 goal improvement. At that rate, this player that supposedly is ready for a break-out season, will top 30 goals in the AHL by the time he retires.

Reactions: neelyforpresident

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I keep seeing people laud his two games in the NHL. I don't get it.

Now I know it's two games... I'm not expecting to see anyone at their best in that time. So when I say this, it's not out of disappointment or because I'm trying to cut him down.

But to me, he looked like a guy who was playing his first two games in the NHL. Nothing terrible. Nothing remarkable. Stops and starts and using his speed to catch up with plays rather than just being a part of them.

I don't see this surefire NHLer that you are describing, at least from his brief stint at that level.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
I keep seeing people laud his two games in the NHL. I don't get it.

Now I know it's two games... I'm not expecting to see anyone at their best in that time. So when I say this, it's not out of disappointment or because I'm trying to cut him down.

But to me, he looked like a guy who was playing his first two games in the NHL. Nothing terrible. Nothing remarkable. Stops and starts and using his speed to catch up with plays rather than just being a part of them.

I don't see this surefire NHLer that you are describing, at least from his brief stint at that level.
Pretend his 2 games in the NHL never happened. You still can’t make a case for him.

It’s as if the concept of the AHL doesn’t even exist. Sure, they put you there to work on deficiencies of your game, but not to the exclusion of your strengths. Nobody told the kid to only worry about defense.

Maybe he has developed into a very competent back-checker now. That’s fine, but people need to stop making the case for him on the second line. If he could score goals, he would have earned time on the first line at the AHL level and he would have been a team/league leader, regardless of his focus on other aspects of the game.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Carlo.... good answer. He started popping up in rushes last year. I think he is primed to start finishing on some of those.
Yup I see it same way

He should pick up a half dozen assists just giving puck to Krug even if secondary

neelyforpresident

Dec 25, 2007
Washington

Disingenuous? Because I didn't credit him with a two goal improvement from the previous season? I can watch a player too and convince myself he is improving but the stats don't lie. And when you are drafted to score goals there really is one stat that matters. You can make an argument if he was lighting up the AHL and was still a minus player. But 14 goals in 66 games, even though 2 whole goals better than the season before, isn't even close to acceptable for the position he was drafted in and what they expected to be getting. There has been no indication that he can play top 6 minutes in the NHL this season aside from those with ridiculous expectations for our prospects in the Bruins system. Senyshyn is a one trick pony who's one trick hasn't even translated into the AHL.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Carlo is the player that I thought going into last season would show a very big step up in his play. I feel like he did that, but still hasn't added the offensive contribution that I know he is capable of.

Entering this season. of the players who will have a cemented role in the lineup, I think that Heinen has the best chance of making the largest leap in development. I would say DeBrusk, but I don't know if his leap will be all that big over where he already is, which is very good.

Of the players who don't necessarily have a cemented role in the starting lineup at this point, without a doubt it is Clifton. I think that if he stays healthy and cements a starting position he is going to absolutely break out and be impressive this season.

aguineapig

Mexican standoff thru camp between Sweeney, Charlie and Carlo. Meantime a kid rides in guns a blazin. His name?
Jeremy Lauzon.
If Sweeney, Charlie Mc and Carlo had just gone along with it we'd have seen this four months ago for cryin' out loud!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->