Who do you think Avs mgt sees as it's core group of players?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The big three forwards. I could see any other player getting traded besides them.

Averick*

Really surprised a few don't have Landeskog as an untouchable. The guy was a monster his rookie year, willing this team to wins some nights. Yeah, he took a step back last year (concussion played a role) but I have no doubt he will bounce back. He's absolutely an untouchable with MacKinnon and Duchene.

Varly has to prove himself. If he had another bad year, he probably won't be on the team beyond this season.

Landeskog might be but we really don't have the same level of assurance as with MacKinnon and Duchene. The new regime drafted MacKinnon even while being offered a ton in trade. Feaster has admitted to offering the Avs Calgarys 3 firsts but were turned down. Also, they turned down Jones and Druin because they obviously really like MacKinnon.

Duchen, obviously, was extended with a salary that's very team friendly. One similarity between he and MacKinnon is that both are very fast/explosive. Roy wants to play with tempo.

Landeskog might be--we don't know. You raise valid points in his favor but his accomplishments were also under the old coach and there isn't a similar endorsement that there's been with MacKinnon and Duchene. There's a higher level of assurance with MacKinnon and Duchene.

Because Bigras was also picked by the current regime and presumably fits Roy's style of defense, you could also make a case for Bigras.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
One bad season from Landeskog due to a concussion and odd shorted season and all of sudden this unique talent that won the Calder last season and captain of this team is a "unsure" thing while prospect MacKinnon is a sure bet and gurantee success and untouchable and all, lol at some of you, just too funny.

And Duchene after a nice rebounding season is a also untouchable while most of ya want his head last season, so basically, core is whomever who had a good season and then to the next season :D

IMO ya guys can build on Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon and RoR, that is a damn good forward core... untouchable? if the right deal come along, any of them can and will be moved.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
And Duchene after a nice rebounding season is a also untouchable while most of ya want his head last season, so basically, core is whomever who had a good season and then to the next season :D

We wanted his head because he was playing like a immature junior player out on the ice and wasn't owning up to his potential, pulling spin-o-ramas and playing selfishly. We were also disappointed that he couldn't carry our dreadful offense and that he was having a down season as opposed to the year before.

But no one in their right mind didn't refer to him as core at the very least going forward. Nor did we seriously want him traded.

As for Landeskog, he's also considered core, some people are just less sure of his upside compared to others because he got too fancy last season. He too has some growing up to do like Duchene did.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Really surprised a few don't have Landeskog as an untouchable. The guy was a monster his rookie year, willing this team to wins some nights. Yeah, he took a step back last year (concussion played a role) but I have no doubt he will bounce back. He's absolutely an untouchable with MacKinnon and Duchene.

Varly has to prove himself. If he had another bad year, he probably won't be on the team beyond this season.

Agree with Averick's post as well. We're talking untouchables here, not the best players on the team. The only two guys management has really committed to in their short time are Duchene and McKinnon. That's why Lando doesn't make my list. Nothing against Lando - I think he'll end up being better than Duchene or MacKinnon long term.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I see the point that Landy doesn't have that type of long term contract/commitment yet. However, I have absolutely no reason to believe it won't happen.

As much as I'd like to add Stastny to the core his impending UFA status doesn't give me much assurance.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I guess you can say Sakic/Roy haven't committed to Landeskog because they didn't draft him or make him captain but I think he's right there with Duchene and MacKinnon. He's a big part of the core and our new management probably sees it that way as well.

FrostyBear21

Jul 20, 2013
Murica
IMO ya guys can build on Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon and RoR, that is a damn good forward core... untouchable? if the right deal come along, any of them can and will be moved.

The only one who'd be moved for a "right deal" that is plausible would be O'Reilly. Management just locked Duchene up. And they drafted MacKinnon. And I seriously doubt Landy would be going anywhere.

The only "right deals" that would pry Duchene, MacKinnon, and Landeskog from the Avs would involve serious over-payment. Like Crosby+Malkin+ over-payment IMO. Which is not very likely to happen.

So, truly untouchable? Only ones who know that would be Avs management. Settle for virtually untouchable. Hence, Duchene and MacKinnon are untouchable. Avs drafted MacK and signed Duchene long-term. They won't be going anywhere. Only question mark would be Landeskog (as others have said, management hasn't really interacted with him to the extent of Duchene/MacKinnon), but it's doubtful he'll go anywhere. Avs will sign him to an extension when they can IMO.

Averick*

I guess you can say Sakic/Roy haven't committed to Landeskog because they didn't draft him or make him captain but I think he's right there with Duchene and MacKinnon. He's a big part of the core and our new management probably sees it that way as well.

He might be with MacKinnon and Duchene. There's just less to go on than with M&D. I don't think they hold it against someone because they didn't draft him. As potential proof, you could point to the fact that they weren't big players in offseason transactions.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Hard to prove yourself when your defenders are pylons. Next year will be the same and if they blame it on varly they'll regret it. My biggest concern is him leaving if he's not convinced they'll fix the defense anytime soon.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
We wanted his head because he was playing like a immature junior player out on the ice and wasn't owning up to his potential, pulling spin-o-ramas and playing selfishly. We were also disappointed that he couldn't carry our dreadful offense and that he was having a down season as opposed to the year before.

But no one in their right mind didn't refer to him as core at the very least going forward. Nor did we seriously want him traded.

As for Landeskog, he's also considered core, some people are just less sure of his upside compared to others because he got too fancy last season. He too has some growing up to do like Duchene did.

I respect much of what you generally post (even beyond this immediate post) but you are just off in stating "nor did we seriously want him traded."

I recall more than a few posters were outright calling for Dutchy to be traded. In my estimation, it was the wrong judgment at the time and so far, Duchene has proven his detractors wrong. We will see going forward.

It is more accurate to state every Avs fan wanted Duchene to play up to his potential.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
The only one who'd be moved for a "right deal" that is plausible would be O'Reilly. Management just locked Duchene up. And they drafted MacKinnon. And I seriously doubt Landy would be going anywhere.

The only "right deals" that would pry Duchene, MacKinnon, and Landeskog from the Avs would involve serious over-payment. Like Crosby+Malkin+ over-payment IMO. Which is not very likely to happen.

So, truly untouchable? Only ones who know that would be Avs management. Settle for virtually untouchable. Hence, Duchene and MacKinnon are untouchable. Avs drafted MacK and signed Duchene long-term. They won't be going anywhere. Only question mark would be Landeskog (as others have said, management hasn't really interacted with him to the extent of Duchene/MacKinnon), but it's doubtful he'll go anywhere. Avs will sign him to an extension when they can IMO.

Ohhh please if the right offer came along you sure as hell will see any player will go. Did you not Think the Blues said the same thing about Johnson Before he got shipped to the Avs? or Schneider to Devils? or Thornton to Sharks?

**** happen and anyone of them can be traded for the right price and it wont be for Malkin+Crosby kind of players either. We fans are just delusional but fact is, depending on situation and need, any of OReilly, Landeskog or MacKinnon can be traded.

And I dont understand, so what if the Avs signed a long term contract with Duchene? Longer deals have been signed in NHL and traded still happen. Same thing with MacKinnon, the Avs drafted him because they feel he is the best player in this draft, sure they gonna make commitment to him, but if the right deal come along then so what if the Avs drafted him? Trades gonna happen.

But ofcourse, trades for player like Landeskog, Duchene, MacKinnon rarely happen....however it happens.

Averick*

Ohhh please if the right offer came along you sure as hell will see any player will go. Did you not Think the Blues said the same thing about Johnson Before he got shipped to the Avs? or Schneider to Devils? or Thornton to Sharks?

**** happen and anyone of them can be traded for the right price and it wont be for Malkin+Crosby kind of players either. We fans are just delusional but fact is, depending on situation and need, any of OReilly, Landeskog or MacKinnon can be traded.

And I dont understand, so what if the Avs signed a long term contract with Duchene? Longer deals have been signed in NHL and traded still happen. Same thing with MacKinnon, the Avs drafted him because they feel he is the best player in this draft, sure they gonna make commitment to him, but if the right deal come along then so what if the Avs drafted him? Trades gonna happen.

But ofcourse, trades for player like Landeskog, Duchene, MacKinnon rarely happen....however it happens.

I don't think you understood his post. It's a question based on who they presently see as the future group of players to build around. Again, it's as of now. This is what makes your Johnson reference erroneous.

FrostyBear21

Jul 20, 2013
Murica

The Malkin+Crosby was an example. It'd take an over payment to get Landeskog or MacKinnon or Duchene from the Avs. So, yes, the "right deal." I'd rather they weren't traded. But if they are, it had better be for more than a 1st rounder. O'Reilly's another story. It remains unknown whether the Avs will think about moving him. But it'll only be for the "right deal." I put him in with those I'd rather not see moved.

Avs don't typically sign a long-term deal with someone only to move them. Hate to break it to you, but we aren't the Flyers. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, just that it is HIGHLY unlikely. Same with MacKinnon.

The "right deal" argument? Sure, they could get moved for the right deal. Unless it's a serious overpayment (ie, blue-chip prospects plus roster players plus draft picks, if not more) then it's not likely to happen.

Because no one wants to move the pieces it would take to acquire them. Whatever package would make you think about trading Pietrangelo is probably about what it would take for the Avs to entertain the notion of trading Landeskog, Duchene, or MacKinnon.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
I don't think you understood his post. It's a question based on who they presently see as the future group of players to build around. Again, it's as of now. This is what makes your Johnson reference erroneous.

I Think you need to see my past post in this thread, Im saying that Landeskog, Duchene, MacKinnon and RoR its a nice package to build around as a core of forwards... but anyone can be moved and there is no untouchables which is why I refer to Johnson, Thornton and Schneider, that is players that is supposed to be core and players to build around but still they managed to get traded because of different situation at the time.

And my reply to him have nothing to do with which Group of players the Avs is gonna build around... its about anyone can be traded.

Averick*

I Think you need to see my past post in this thread, Im saying that Landeskog, Duchene, MacKinnon and RoR its a nice package to build around as a core of forwards... but anyone can be moved and there is no untouchables which is why I refer to Johnson, Thornton and Schneider, that is players that is supposed to be core and players to build around but still they managed to get traded because of different situation at the time.

And my reply to him have nothing to do with which Group of players the Avs is gonna build around... its about anyone can be traded.

The post you responded to specifically parsed out absolutely untradeable vs virtually untradeable. He's right to put it in terms of realistic scenarioss, which you don't seem to be grasping. You seem to be still fixated on the absolutely untradeable argument.

Also, I see you're still not grasping that this is as of now. We all know things can change but that's not really even relevant.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Dutch/MacK/Lando/EJ/Barrie/Parenteau (for the duration of his deal)/Siemens/Elliott?/Bordeleau (seems odd, but he does have an important role to play)

Stastny, O'Reilly, McGinn, and Varlamov will be easier to tell by how quickly/if they get contract extensions done. I think the Avs will focus on each player by how much they want to keep them retained.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
The post you responded to specifically parsed out absolutely untradeable vs virtually untradeable. He's right to put it in terms of realistic scenarioss, which you don't seem to be grasping. You seem to be still fixated on the absolutely untradeable argument.

Also, I see you're still not grasping that this is as of now. We all know things can change but that's not really even relevant.

Yes I dont understand actually, I quote this part:

"The only one who'd be moved for a "right deal" that is plausible would be O'Reilly. Management just locked Duchene up. And they drafted MacKinnon. And I seriously doubt Landy would be going anywhere."

And then therefor my reply. As for realistic scenarios yes I agreed with what he said regarding Duchene, MacKinnon and Landy, but realistic scenarios is still that any of them can be traded and not just OReilly.

FrostyBear21

Jul 20, 2013
Murica
Yes I dont understand actually, I quote this part:

"The only one who'd be moved for a "right deal" that is plausible would be O'Reilly. Management just locked Duchene up. And they drafted MacKinnon. And I seriously doubt Landy would be going anywhere."

And then therefor my reply. As for realistic scenarios yes I agreed with what he said regarding Duchene, MacKinnon and Landy, but realistic scenarios is still that any of them can be traded and not just OReilly.

What I was trying to say is that yes, it's possible they could be moved. It's highly unlikely however, for reasons I specified in my last post to you.

I never once said they wouldn't be moved. Just that it'd take an over-payment for them to be moved.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yep. But I'd like to think Radar is in the mix as well.

If it weren't for his previous contract demands, I'd agree. But I feel if he plays hardball with them again, the relationship might be over.

For that reason, I believe O'R is certainly tradeable.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
O'Reilly and Sarich.

Thats it.

So funny. :biglaugh:

The big three forwards. I could see any other player getting traded besides them.

In the end, I think the Avs have 3 players with obvious top end upside (given their age and skill levels), and those three are Duchene, MacKinnon, and Landeskog. There are other players on the roster with good upside, good skill, and young age - but not with the same possibilities as those 3.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
3 players aren't getting moved no matter the deal: Duchene, MacKinnon and Landeskog

2nd tier (meaning aren't getting moved short of massive overpayment): Varlamov, EJ, ROR, PAP, any of our top prospects (Bigras, Siemens, Barrie, Elliott, Hishon, Sgarbossa)

Everyone else is expendable and for the right deals could be had.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
3 players aren't getting moved no matter the deal: Duchene, MacKinnon and Landeskog

2nd tier (meaning aren't getting moved short of massive overpayment): Varlamov, EJ, ROR, PAP, any of our top prospects (Bigras, Siemens, Barrie, Elliott, Hishon, Sgarbossa)

Everyone else is expendable and for the right deals could be had.

Crosby and Malkin with retained salary for Landeskog. Still no trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad