Who do you think Avs mgt sees as it's core group of players?

Averick*

It seems likely that it would be 5-10 guys but with MacKinnon being their 1st pick and Duchene's new contract (and a favorable one, at that), they're the most obvious ones.

Who do you think Avs mgt sees as it's core group of players that they would see as virtually indispensible?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I would say the only 3 guaranteed ones are MacKinnon, Duchene, and Landeskog.

EJ, Varlamov and ROR being either in it, or right on the outside.

FrostyBear21

Jul 20, 2013
Murica
Guaranteed untouchables? Dutchy, MacK, and Landy for sure. ROR only because he can't be moved just yet. (for the record, I doubt he will be unless it's for a top-4 D that can play with EJ)

Varly might be only because there really isn't much of an option in net ATM. Same with EJ - not too much of an option on D.

Barrie probably. Young D, taken several steps forward the last few years. Doubt he'll be moved.

Staz for the moment only because Roy sees him as part of the core.

PAP for the moment because of the chemistry with Dutchy.

McLeod and Bordy because management seems to be in love with them.

Tanguay and Hejda, vet voices in the locker room. Not to mention Tangs has the history with management and Hejda's pretty much our only consistent D. Moving him wouldn't make too much sense IMO.

That being said, those ones I mentioned as possibly being untouchables could be moved for that perfect package, like Tigervixxen said. Just unlikely ATM.

Pretty much everyone else is fair game IMO. Wilson, Elliott, and McGinn could be moved for the right pieces. I'd rather not see them go, but if they brought back pieces who are consistent I'd live with it.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'd say the only untouchables are Duchene and MacKinnon at this point (Roy/Sakic resigned Duchene and drafted MacKinnon)

Lando is probably the third untouchable but I don't think it's written in stone yet.

I have a feeling Roy would throw Varly under the bus in no time. ROR and Stastny are probably up in the air depending on who has more of an aggressive agent.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Right now the players who are 100% part of the core are Duchene and MacKinnon.
Everyone else are question marks until they are locked up on a good contract. They won't trade Duchene if he continues to be the best player in the team because no team can or won't match him in a trade. Also he signed a good contract with good AAV for the team.

Averick*

I'd say the only untouchables are Duchene and MacKinnon at this point (Roy/Sakic resigned Duchene and drafted MacKinnon)

Lando is probably the third untouchable but I don't think it's written in stone yet.

I have a feeling Roy would throw Varly under the bus in no time. ROR and Stastny are probably up in the air depending on who has more of an aggressive agent.

I agree with your first two parts about MacKinnon, Duchene, and also what you say about Landeskog.

I think beyond MacKinnon and Duchene, there's a lot of wait and see.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
BPt6BkoCQAAwPfJ.jpg:large

These two clowns.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
While the term core is very subjective, I would like to believe these players are here for the long run.

Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Stastny, Johnson, Barrie and Varlamov

Of course, everyone after MacKinnon isn't 'untouchable', I'd just like to believe management has them in their long term plans and intends on keeping them together whatever it takes unless there's a great opportunity for us moving one.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
MacKinnon
Duchene
Landeskog
Johnson
Barrie
Varlamov

Just about all others are complimentary pieces to that core.

One could argue that Stastny and O'Reilly are as well, but we will see after this season what their contract situation is.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

While I agree that Duchene and MaKinnon are the most untouchable I think Landeskog is in that tier with them. I don't know why Roy would throw Varly under the bus. Maybe he looks for an alternative in net if Varly has trouble putting it together but I don't think that happens. ROR and Stastny...I don't know. I feel that whichever one is more effective on the wing stays because its only a matter of time before MacKinnon bumps Stastny down to the "third line"

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Yep. But I'd like to think Radar is in the mix as well.

I hope not. With our consensus-3 we have certainly enough. ROR isn't a player that has to be an untouchable, only a really valuable piece in the puzzle, which can be exchanged for a different valuable piece if we get/have a replacement for the piece that ROR fills.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
As virtually indispensable? MacKinnon, Duchene, and Landeskog.

As for the core? Well in addition to the already mentioned big three, I don't see Barrie, Parenteau, or Johnson going anywhere.

Johnson because it is hard enough to find another defenceman to play on the first pairing. Unless he's moved in an upgrade, he'll be added to.

Barrie showed a lot of promise last season. I think his speed, agility, and decision making will be too hard for management to part with unless it is in a deal for a major upgrade on defence. Doesn't seem likely any team is willing to part with a top 30 defenceman in the league either. So I don't see him going anywhere.

Parenteau because he is great value for 4 million a year, is in his prime, and because he has great chemistry with Duchene.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Duchene, Landeskog, and mackinnon are the only ones totally off limits. Ej and varly are essentiall untouchable unless a better player at their position is coming back at very little additional cost. The rest are fair game for the right deal.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
won't be moved under any realistic circumstance: Duchene, MacK

won't be moved barring complete stupidity from another party (ie the Feaster special): Landeskog

will take a lot to be moved: EJ, Varlamov

I didn't ROR would be in the last group if it weren't for the contract dispute, now I consider him with Parenteau, Barrie and (less so) Stastny as the 'if the right deal comes along we're not going to have a huge issue moving them, but we'd rather not'

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Duchene, Mackinnon, and Landeskog are 'the core'.

Stastny/RoR, Barrie, EJ will be most likely added to the core.

I want to add Varly in here, but he needs a solid season or two of consistent performance.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Really surprised a few don't have Landeskog as an untouchable. The guy was a monster his rookie year, willing this team to wins some nights. Yeah, he took a step back last year (concussion played a role) but I have no doubt he will bounce back. He's absolutely an untouchable with MacKinnon and Duchene.

Varly has to prove himself. If he had another bad year, he probably won't be on the team beyond this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00