Who do you think are the most underrated prospects ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
It is my opinion that every team has at least one seriously underrated prospect. You know the kind; the ones the team's fans don't mention unless/until the player actually plays in the NHL.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
kimzey59 said:
Not at all. Like I said previously; NHL readiness is one of the primary factor's in that list. Zak and Shkotov are still considered 2 years away from the NHL which hurts their rating among the Top 50 list voters too much to get them a spot. Based on their potential upside Zak and Shkotov project as 1st line players(warranting an 8 rating).

It's as if the concept of a Blues forward prospect having top line potential isn't at all possible, without them being overrated at least. We're not even arguing that Shkotov and Zakharov are better than Michalek, just that each have top line potential.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Underrated...

Tomas Plekanec
Alexander Suglobov
Konstantin Zakharov
Kiril Kolstov
Sergei Zinoviev
Tuomas Pihlman
Michal Sivek
Petr Tacitek
Alexander Polushin
Trevor Daley
Keith Ballard
Josh Harding

This list could go on and on

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
417 TO MTL said:
Underrated...

Tomas Plekanec
Alexander Suglobov
Konstantin Zakharov
Kiril Kolstov
Sergei Zinoviev
Tuomas Pihlman
Michal Sivek
Petr Tacitek
Alexander Polushin
Trevor Daley
Keith Ballard
Josh Harding

This list could go on and on

Probably have to disagree with two of those. Suglobov isn't underrated by some people around these parts. While he's not the most famous Russian prospect, I don't know if his upside is as high as some would like to think.

Sivek was overrated. Now that he fell off the map, he's approaching about where he should be, which is a middling prospect.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Brett Skinner

He was drafted in the 3rd round of 2002, and was ranked 22nd among NA skaters in his draft year. He was one of the top offensive defenseman last year in the NCAA as a Soph, and was key in the Pioneers championship run. He could turn into a Leopold or Liles if he continues to develop at his current pace.

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
SneakerPimp82 said:
sharky, again you're wrong. Like kimzey said, there are different degrees of 1st line potential, which is why the letter grades were mentioned. Shkotov, Zakharov and Michalek are touted to be 1st line forwards, Michalek might have a better chance of reaching that, in your opinion, but it's just that, an opinion. I haven't seen/read any articles that would suggest Michalek is so much more talented than Shkotov or Zakharov. Until I see one comparing these players individually, I'm inclined to believe that you're overrating Michalek just a bit.

If all prospects were rated just on their potential half the players rated as bubble players would jump to 9 ratings which would make the ratings useless. The new rankings are better broken down, but as for the old rankings they aren't just potential, they are based on potential NHL success. Anytime you calculate that you must go with the average success level for the player and not their maximum.

Example say a player was a top 5 scorer in the jrs., has heart but it is questionable if his skill will stay with him in the NHL, he has a max potential of 1st line and minimum potential of 4th liner you would rate him as being a 3rd liner not a 1st or 4th liner.

Quit being a homer!

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
dumpnchase said:
If all prospects were rated just on their potential half the players rated as bubble players would jump to 9 ratings which would make the ratings useless. The new rankings are better broken down, but as for the old rankings they aren't just potential, they are based on potential NHL success. Anytime you calculate that you must go with the average success level for the player and not their maximum.

Example say a player was a top 5 scorer in the jrs., has heart but it is questionable if his skill will stay with him in the NHL, he has a max potential of 1st line and minimum potential of 4th liner you would rate him as being a 3rd liner not a 1st or 4th liner.

Quit being a homer!

You're funny.You act as if Zakharov was rated on his potential alon, when in fact he was rated on everything you mentioned, except NHL readiness, as was explicitly stated in the article. Zakharov is a scorer, he's scored very well with and without Kostitsyn, he has good size at 6'1 and 185 lbs, he's a very good skater, which means his game translates well to the NHL rink. As you like to say, Zakharov's average success level has been high so far. If you'd bothered to look up any of this info you'd see I'm not a homer, he's a legitimate prospect. Now if he hits a development wall this year in the AHL, then obviously his rating goes down, but until then, he's pegged as a 1st line scorer.

Also, if you'd read my other post, you'd see I said that with the new letter ratings, Zakharov would be an 8B or 8C because he's farther away from the NHL than a Michalek or Nedorost. But oh yea, I'm a Blues fan who actually thinks a Blues prospect has 1st line potential, I must be a damn homer.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sivek was overrated. Now that he fell off the map, he's approaching about where he should be, which is a middling prospect.

Sivek fell off of the map not because of anything that he did on the ice, but rather because of problems at home, the uncertainly of next season, and finally the fact that his family is very well-off so he has the flexibily to play in his native land and still be comfortable money-wise.

In his little less than half-season of action in the NHL he acquitted himself quite well and didn't look at all out of place playing mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines if I remember correctly. If he ever makes it back to NA and he hasn't neglected his game, he is still a legit prospect, though I'll agree, by no means top-tier.

As for under-rated I'll toss out a few league-wide and a couple of my homer votes...

Liam Reddox
Viktor Alexandrov
Janne Niskala
Peter Guggisberg
Roman Wick (yeah, even though he's rated a 0.0 :amazed: )

...and I know someone already made mention of it but Ilya Bryzgalov is a bit under-rated also.

For the Penguins:

Daniel Fernholm
Vladimir Malenkykh

This team is very deep in quality defensive depth, so much so that these two often go unmentioned though they both have top 4 upside IMO.

I won't touch over-rated, since it has been pretty well covered in another thread, but I will say for the Pens that Sergei Anshakov gets bandied around too much as a sure-fire top six forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad