Who do you think are the most underrated prospects ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
blah said:
8 means a 1st liner right? Maybe he's a boom or bust type of prospect and the rest of the editors think he won't develop?
Are the walls in here parralel? Because I hear a reverberation of my last post.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Moskau said:
Learn how to read.

Sharky said the fans overrated them, I said that they are rated too high on the Hockeys Future ratings (with the current system they are ranked under, i.e. no letter grade).

Take for example Alexei Shkotov, he's rated an 8. He didn't even make the top 50 when guys rated lower than an 8 did. This leads me to believe that the 29 or so other editors felt that the St Louis editor rated him too liberally.

I can read thanks, and I can infer as well. By your stating that you take .5 to 1 full point from almost every prospect rated on the Blues page, obviously you agreed with sharky. That's the point I'm making.

As far as the other editors on the other team sites, it's widely known that Blues prospects get very little respect here. Guys like Nagy, Handzus, even Bäckman, who've turned out pretty well got no respect as prospects. So I put little stock in rankings like the top 10/20/50 prospects cuz prospects are always left out, and even moreso when they belong to an organization that gets little respect, where their prospects are concerned.

The only Blues prospect who's been giving his due is Jackman. Hopefuly with the drafting of Söderberg, Schwarz and Alexandrov, the team gets a bit more respect as far as prospects are concerned.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
SneakerPimp82 said:
I can read thanks, and I can infer as well. By your stating that you take .5 to 1 full point from almost every prospect rated on the Blues page, obviously you agreed with sharky. That's the point I'm making.

As far as the other editors on the other team sites, it's widely known that Blues prospects get very little respect here. Guys like Nagy, Handzus, even Bäckman, who've turned out pretty well got no respect as prospects. So I put little stock in rankings like the top 10/20/50 prospects cuz prospects are always left out, and even moreso when they belong to an organization that gets little respect, where their prospects are concerned.

The only Blues prospect who's been giving his due is Jackman. Hopefuly with the drafting of Söderberg, Schwarz and Alexandrov, the team gets a bit more respect as far as prospects are concerned.

NO! I'm saying that the St. Louis prospects rankings are all skewed. Unless you consider the editors that rank the Blues their entire fanbase.

Do you consider Alexei Shkotov to be as good as Nathan Hornton? Andrew Ladd is overrated on these boards, but I'd probably take him at a 7.5 over a guy like Zakharov (who in this very thread I said is underrated).

A fair majority of the Blues prospects are ranked 0.5 - 1.0 higher than other teams prospects who have shown just as much ability.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Moskau said:
Are the walls in here parralel? Because I hear a reverberation of my last post.
No, you're not. If a prospect has 1st line potential then he should be rated as at least an 8.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
blah said:
No, you're not. If a prospect has 1st line potential then he should be rated as at least an 8.
I said, that under the current rankings the Blues prospects are ranked under (numareioal grade) their rankings are a bit exxagerated.

Look at the Edmonton prospects to see the new system (# A-D )

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Moskau said:
I said, that under the current rankings the Blues prospects are ranked under (numareioal grade) their rankings are a bit exxagerated.

Look at the Edmonton prospects to see the new system (# A-D )
They're not exaggerated if the player has first line potential and is given an 8. It shouldn't matter if he's a boom or bust type of prospect in regards to his number rating.

I disagree w/ the letter ratings. Draft position should have nothing to do w/ the rankings or ratings of the prospects. They should be evaluated on their talent, potential, etc and not where they were drafted. Unless they plan on removing the number rating for players w/ numbered ratings under 5 and giving them a D or F?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
blah said:
They're not exaggerated if the player has first line potential and is given an 8. It shouldn't matter if he's a boom or bust type of prospect in regards to his number rating.

I disagree w/ the letter ratings. Draft position should have nothing to do w/ the rankings or ratings of the prospects. They should be evaluated on their talent, potential, etc and not where they were drafted. Unless they plan on removing the number rating for players w/ numbered ratings under 5 and giving them a D or F?
Did you even look at the Edmonton rankings?

They have a Number Letter grade. Number AND a Letter.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Moskau said:

NO, they aren't. The prospects in question ALL have potential upsides as 1st line wingers. That is what they SHOULD have ranked based on the old criterea. The reason that Blues Prospects are "overrated"(a statement I disagree with entirely, if you are going to say ANYTHING about the Blues system it has to be considered among the most UNDERRATED in the League) is beacuse all of those 8 you see there(except for Schwarz and Zakharov) should be listed as an 8-C( Zakharov and Schwarz would be an 8-B). Sejna and Shkotov are hit or miss prospects with extremely high upsides(that most people seem to ignore when they talk about potential).

Moskau said:
Take for example Alexei Shkotov, he's rated an 8. He didn't even make the top 50 when guys rated lower than an 8 did. This leads me to believe that the 29 or so other editors felt that the St Louis editor rated him too liberally.
The reason for that is simple: The Top 20 lists focus largely on NHL readiness. In Shkotov's case he was playing his first season in the QMJHL and was considered(and likely so) 3 years away from NHL readiness when the list was made. Do you honestly believe a guy like Vorobiev(just an example, I'm not trying to pick a fight) would even be MENTIONED as a possible top 20-50 prospect if he were still considered 3 years away from the NHL? Of course not. Even though the player may the UPSIDE to be consdered a Top 20 prospect his distance from the NHL would have hurt him FAR too much to get him a spot on the list. IF you would have bothered to read the Introduction to the Blues Top 20 list(which I can tell you didn't by the way you're arguing your point) you would have seen: All of our Grades are based on the POTENTIAL UPSIDE of the player. NHL readiness is not taken into account in our grading system(although it did have an effect on some of the prospects' grades(namely McClement)). If you disagree with the grades based on the criterea the author gave then give a valid reason.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Moskau said:
Learn how to read.

Sharky said the fans overrated them, I said that they are rated too high on the Hockeys Future ratings (with the current system they are ranked under, i.e. no letter grade).

thats pretty much what I was saying

sabexx said:
I love seing him in the Q... but for the NHl I don'T know if he's underrated...
undersized: Yes :yo:
Underrated : Maybe :dunno:

It's intresting that you mention his hight

I'm looking at a photo of me and him standing next to each other and we are exactly the same hight. I am 5'10 bt I thought that Hennessy was listed at 5'11-6'0

I really think he is the next steve sullivan

maybe a little bit better of a finisher tho

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
kimzey59 said:
NO, they aren't. The prospects in question ALL have potential upsides as 1st line wingers. That is what they SHOULD have ranked based on the old criterea. The reason that Blues Prospects are "overrated"(a statement I disagree with entirely, if you are going to say ANYTHING about the Blues system it has to be considered among the most UNDERRATED in the League) is beacuse all of those 8 you see there(except for Schwarz and Zakharov) should be listed as an 8-C( Zakharov and Schwarz would be an 8-B). Sejna and Shkotov are hit or miss prospects with extremely high upsides(that most people seem to ignore when they talk about potential).

QUOTE]

If those guys are rated 8 then Milan Michalek should be a 9-9.5

His upside is higher then all of theirs and we all know he will be a very good player

Steve Bernier should be an 8.5

He was teamates to Zakharov. Just ask Moncton fans who was the better player

again people
not saying bernier or michalek should be a 9or 8.5. Just measuring them on a scale with the blues prospects

Habdominal

Jun 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
sharkyz15 said:
It's intresting that you mention his hight

I'm looking at a photo of me and him standing next to each other and we are exactly the same hight. I am 5'10 bt I thought that Hennessy was listed at 5'11-6'0

I really think he is the next steve sullivan

maybe a little bit better of a finisher tho

Well I can only hope you're right cause he's e very spectacular individual in the Q and I can only wish him the best for teh great time I had/have watching in as a junior hockey plyer :yo: :banana: :yo:

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
sharkyz15 said:
kimzey59 said:

QUOTE]

If those guys are rated 8 then Milan Michalek should be a 9-9.5

His upside is higher then all of theirs and we all know he will be a very good player

Steve Bernier should be an 8.5

He was teamates to Zakharov. Just ask Moncton fans who was the better player

again people
not saying bernier or michalek should be a 9or 8.5. Just measuring them on a scale with the blues prospects

sharky, again you're wrong. Like kimzey said, there are different degrees of 1st line potential, which is why the letter grades were mentioned. Shkotov, Zakharov and Michalek are touted to be 1st line forwards, Michalek might have a better chance of reaching that, in your opinion, but it's just that, an opinion. I haven't seen/read any articles that would suggest Michalek is so much more talented than Shkotov or Zakharov. Until I see one comparing these players individually, I'm inclined to believe that you're overrating Michalek just a bit.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
I'll skip the prospects that I cover because we always think our own are underrated.

But the one prospects that I think is the most underrated is Ilya Bryzgalov. I think the only reason this guy is not the next young star goalie in the NHL is because he's behind Giguere and Gerber had a pretty good year as a back-up (but now Gerber is gone). And this is coming from a fan of the Dux cross-town rivals. As much as it pains me to say, I think the Dux have the next star goalie on their hands. Maybe they'd like to throw him our way if they want to keep Giguere? ;)

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
SneakerPimp82 said:
sharky, again you're wrong. Like kimzey said, there are different degrees of 1st line potential, which is why the letter grades were mentioned. Shkotov, Zakharov and Michalek are touted to be 1st line forwards, Michalek might have a better chance of reaching that, in your opinion, but it's just that, an opinion. I haven't seen/read any articles that would suggest Michalek is so much more talented than Shkotov or Zakharov. Until I see one comparing these players individually, I'm inclined to believe that you're overrating Michalek just a bit.
1. Kari Lehtonen - G - Atlanta Thrashers
2. Nikolai Zherdev - RW - Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Dion Phaneuf - D - Calgary Flames
4. Marc-Andre Fleury - G - Pittsburgh Penguins
5. Thomas Vanek - LW - Buffalo Sabres
6. Ryan Suter - D - Nashville Predators
7. Igor Grigorenko - RW - Detroit Red Wings
8. Milan Michalek - LW - San Jose Sharks
Height: 6-2, Weight: 220
What started out as a promising season for Milan Michalek has instead turned into a lost one. Michalek tore a ligament in his knee in the Sharks second game of the season, then tore the same ligament in February while preparing for a return to the Sharks lineup. The Jindrichuv Hradec, Czech Republic native had a strong camp for the Sharks after being tabbed as their top pick in the 2003 NHL Draft, but the team will have to wait until next season to see their prized rookie in action. Michalek has excellent size and skill, both attributes that he puts to good use. The big winger is probably more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, but there are some that feel that Michalek’s scoring ability is underrated.

9. Ryan Miller - G - Buffalo Sabres
10. Braydon Coburn - D - Atlanta Thrashers
11. Zach Parise - C - New Jersey Devils
12. Andrei Kostsitsyn - RW - Montreal Canadiens
13. Fedor Tjutin - D - New York Rangers
14. Jeff Carter - C - Philadelphia Flyers
15. Mark Stuart - D - Boston Bruins
16. Denis Grebeshkov - D - Los Angeles Kings
17. Mikko Koivu - C - Minnesota Wild
18. Anthony Stewart - RW - Florida Panthers
19. Dustin Brown - RW - Los Angeles Kings
20. Patrick O'Sullivan - C - Minnesota Wild
21. Jeff Woywitka - D - Edmonton Oilers
22. Ryan Getzlaf - C - Anaheim Mighty Ducks
23. Ryan Kesler - C - Vancouver Canucks
24. Ryan Whitney - D - Pittsburgh Penguins
25. Jiri Hudler - C - Detroit Red Wings
26. Hannu Toivonen - G - Boston Bruins
27. Mike Richards - C - Philadelphia Flyers
28. Pascal Leclaire - G - Columbus Blue Jackets
29. Alexander Steen - C - Toronto Maple Leafs
30. Ilya Bryzgalov - G - Anaheim Mighty Ducks
31. Carlo Colaiacovo - D - Toronto Maple Leafs
32. Lukas Krajicek - D - Florida Panthers
33. Robert Nilsson - LW - New York Islanders
34. Chris Higgins - LW - Montreal Canadiens
35. Pavel Vorobiev - RW - Chicago Blackhawks
36. Eric Fehr - RW - Washington Capitals
37. Niklas Kronwall - D - Detroit Red Wings
38. Scottie Upshall - RW - Nashville Predators
39. Jared Aulin - C - Washington Capitals
40. Ron Hainsey - D - Montreal Canadiens
41. Brent Seabrook - D - Chicago Blackhawks
42. Marc-Antoine Pouliot - C - Edmonton Oilers
43. Alexander Polushin - RW - Tampa Bay Lightning
44. Keith Ballard - D - Phoenix Coyotes
45. Ray Emery - G - Ottawa Senators
46. Alex Perezhogin - RW - Montreal Canadiens
47. Derek Roy - C - Buffalo Sabres
48. Jeff Tambellini - LW - Los Angeles Kings
49. Maxime Ouellet - G - Washington Capitals
50. Steve Bernier - RW - San Jose Sharks

Shkotov and Zakharov aren't even on the list, so maybe they are overrated just a bit?

Dark Phoenix

Jul 30, 2004
I'm sure someone will disagree with my mention of him, but I'd say that Kyle Wellwood is a pretty underrated prospect. He's by far the Leafs' most underrated prospect, at any rate.

jcoldwell

Aug 11, 2004
dem said:
MA Pouliot

I feel he is far and away the best Oilers prospect. Whenever I've seen him play I come away impressed at how smart he is. He sees the ice extremely well. I have him down as a SUREFIRE 1st or 2nd line center. I'll eat my socks if he doesnt pan out. :innocent:

Totally agree. If he is over his abdomen injury this coming year he could lead the team in points. Yes even beat Crosby. Pouliot is a legit #1-2 center for the Oilers in the future. This is how I see the Oilers 4 centers in the future.

Schremp
Pouliot
Niinimaki
Stoll

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
pavel13 said:
1. Kari Lehtonen - G - Atlanta Thrashers
2. Nikolai Zherdev - RW - Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Dion Phaneuf - D - Calgary Flames
4. Marc-Andre Fleury - G - Pittsburgh Penguins
5. Thomas Vanek - LW - Buffalo Sabres
6. Ryan Suter - D - Nashville Predators
7. Igor Grigorenko - RW - Detroit Red Wings
8. Milan Michalek - LW - San Jose Sharks
Height: 6-2, Weight: 220
What started out as a promising season for Milan Michalek has instead turned into a lost one. Michalek tore a ligament in his knee in the Sharks second game of the season, then tore the same ligament in February while preparing for a return to the Sharks lineup. The Jindrichuv Hradec, Czech Republic native had a strong camp for the Sharks after being tabbed as their top pick in the 2003 NHL Draft, but the team will have to wait until next season to see their prized rookie in action. Michalek has excellent size and skill, both attributes that he puts to good use. The big winger is probably more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, but there are some that feel that Michalek’s scoring ability is underrated.

9. Ryan Miller - G - Buffalo Sabres
10. Braydon Coburn - D - Atlanta Thrashers
11. Zach Parise - C - New Jersey Devils
12. Andrei Kostsitsyn - RW - Montreal Canadiens
13. Fedor Tjutin - D - New York Rangers
14. Jeff Carter - C - Philadelphia Flyers
15. Mark Stuart - D - Boston Bruins
16. Denis Grebeshkov - D - Los Angeles Kings
17. Mikko Koivu - C - Minnesota Wild
18. Anthony Stewart - RW - Florida Panthers
19. Dustin Brown - RW - Los Angeles Kings
20. Patrick O'Sullivan - C - Minnesota Wild
21. Jeff Woywitka - D - Edmonton Oilers
22. Ryan Getzlaf - C - Anaheim Mighty Ducks
23. Ryan Kesler - C - Vancouver Canucks
24. Ryan Whitney - D - Pittsburgh Penguins
25. Jiri Hudler - C - Detroit Red Wings
26. Hannu Toivonen - G - Boston Bruins
27. Mike Richards - C - Philadelphia Flyers
28. Pascal Leclaire - G - Columbus Blue Jackets
29. Alexander Steen - C - Toronto Maple Leafs
30. Ilya Bryzgalov - G - Anaheim Mighty Ducks
31. Carlo Colaiacovo - D - Toronto Maple Leafs
32. Lukas Krajicek - D - Florida Panthers
33. Robert Nilsson - LW - New York Islanders
34. Chris Higgins - LW - Montreal Canadiens
35. Pavel Vorobiev - RW - Chicago Blackhawks
36. Eric Fehr - RW - Washington Capitals
37. Niklas Kronwall - D - Detroit Red Wings
38. Scottie Upshall - RW - Nashville Predators
39. Jared Aulin - C - Washington Capitals
40. Ron Hainsey - D - Montreal Canadiens
41. Brent Seabrook - D - Chicago Blackhawks
42. Marc-Antoine Pouliot - C - Edmonton Oilers
43. Alexander Polushin - RW - Tampa Bay Lightning
44. Keith Ballard - D - Phoenix Coyotes
45. Ray Emery - G - Ottawa Senators
46. Alex Perezhogin - RW - Montreal Canadiens
47. Derek Roy - C - Buffalo Sabres
48. Jeff Tambellini - LW - Los Angeles Kings
49. Maxime Ouellet - G - Washington Capitals
50. Steve Bernier - RW - San Jose Sharks

Shkotov and Zakharov aren't even on the list, so maybe they are overrated just a bit?

Not at all. Like I said previously; NHL readiness is one of the primary factor's in that list. Zak and Shkotov are still considered 2 years away from the NHL which hurts their rating among the Top 50 list voters too much to get them a spot. Based on their potential upside Zak and Shkotov project as 1st line players(warranting an 8 rating).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad