Who do you take - McDavid at 12.5M$ for 7 years, or Elias Pettersson at 3M$ for 7 years?

Who would you prefer to sign - McDavid at 12.5M$ AAV for 7 years, or EP at 3M$ AAV for 7 years?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
just stop with your wack posts. Everyone nows how much McDavid rubs you the wrong way.

He does? I've started threads this week voting id prefer him at 12.5M to EP at 3M, and about how id pay McDavid 16.5. He doesn't rub me anyway, I promise.

But it doesn't make 116 points turn into 160, nor does it make him superior to Lemieux lol. Nowhere close

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid's career high is 116 points. 160? Yeah - no.

Best player since Gretzky? Have you heard of Mario Lemieux?
McDavid was on pace to eclipse 150 last year. Scored 101 points in 53 games. then hit 105 by the end of the season. He did this in 2021 with guy like Yamamoto, Puljujarvi. Put him on those early 90's team with Mario and stacked Penguins roster and watch him go toe to toe with Mario.

McDavid is in the same sentence as Mario and slightly below the Great One.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid was on pace to eclipse 150 last year. Scored 101 points in 53 games. then hit 105 by the end of the season. He did this in 2021 with guy like Yamamoto, Puljujarvi. Put him on those early 90's team with Mario and stacked Penguins roster and watch him go toe to toe with Mario.

McDavid is in the same sentence as Mario and slightly below the Great One.

lol

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I read it as Pettersson at 7Mx3 rather than 3Mx7 & voted McDavid.

This makes it a real interesting question.

McDavid is still McDavid, but w/ Pettersson at that rate you could basically add another top line player with the savings. Hard to pass up especially if it's a defenseman.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pettersson at just under one fourth of the money is too tempting. You can add a lot with that extra 9.5 per year.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
People voting for Elias Pettersson are either extreme homers or just want a change on the status quo. McDavid with a cap over 82 million and only eating 12.5 million is a no brainer. A competent GM would build a much better teamwith McDavid then Petterssen @ 3 mill.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Pettersson is MORE than good enough to be a 1C on a cup winning team.

If you're telling me I can get him at basically a third of what his impact should cost, through the entirety of his prime? That's a better deal than the Mackinnon contract.

McDavid is obviously the better player, but this is hockey. Stars matter, but that's $10 million I can use on a 1D or any number of other supporting players.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
lol It gets even more embarrassing when you have to defend the position of a player and the production of 2 guys versus 1 and still come out last.

View attachment 461042

+

View attachment 461043

pace:

56 points
44 points

total:

McDavid:

No dumb GM would take Petterrssen and any defenseman over a young prime Generational player like 97. The marketing and hype alone would be enough of a reason to not go the dumb route.

That’s a terrible take man. Look, McDavid is head and shoulders the best player in the world, but one guy alone does not win the Stanley Cup. You of all people should know that. McDavid’s team got swept because aside from him and Draisaitl and maybe 2 other guys, they’re not good enough to support the core.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I don’t trust most GM’s to utilize the extra cap space effectively, so I would just take McDavid.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Depends on the competency of management to effective utilize the additional $9.5m in cap space.

If the best your GM can do with that cap space is:
  • trade for a past his prime 38 year old dman with a $5.5m cap hit for the next 2 years , AND THEN
  • give a bottom pairing dman $3.25m AVV over 4 years

... you might as well go with McDavid so at least you can watch exciting regular season hockey.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
McDavid is the best player in the world but with the 9.5M in savings you could add any of OV, Marchand, Malkin, Crosby, MacK, Drai, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Kucherov, Hedman, Makar, etc and in some cases still not reach 12.5M. For example, I'd rather have Crosby+EP or Hedman+EP than just McDavid.

Not in Edmonton you couldn't... unless you drafted the player.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I have to take Pettersson with theese contract. A 1C at 3M who probably will score 80-90p annually is too good to pass. At 9,5M with the savings I can add another 1C...

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
3 millions? wow.. can't go wrong with that. It gives you the money to offer 9 millions to a superstar. Depth is more important than anything nowadays. Teams that are top-heavy usually do well in the regular season but do nothing in the playoffs. I would take the Pettersson deal that would give a lot of flexibility.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
EP isn't good enough for me to choose the bargain option over the best player in the world. Surprised the results are so close tbh. McDavid at 12.5 is actually turning into a pretty good contract.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
McDavid is obviously the better player, but 9.5 million is too big a gap in pay to justify an extra 40 or 50 points and a roster spot.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Through a magic wave of a wand - both McDavid and EP become full fledged UFA's today going into next season. Both reach out to your team - and for whatever reason you're only allowed to sign one of them, not both.

1. McDavid will sign with your team for 7 years at 12.5M$ AAV if you're willing to offer that

2. Pettersson will sign with your team for 7 years at 3M$ AAV if you're willing to offer that

Which player do you pick, and why?

If your team doesn't have the cap space to fit McDavid today - you have the option to make room.

example: If you're Tampa - find a way to trade Stamkos (yes, despite his NMC), even if it means paying a team to take his contract. If you're Toronto, find a way to move Tavares or Marner, even if it means adding a sweetener to take Tavares's contract (and yes, despite his NMC). etc

this isn't really a very fair poll with 9 million difference in a 80ish million cap league.

Still surprised that it was even close honestly.

But it does prove most HF Boards voters would make crappy NHL GM's.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Depends on the FA market more than anything tbh. If the quality of free agents is the same as usual, that extra money is gonna be spent overpaying a forward (likely a winger at that) on the tail end of their prime or career. After that you'll have space for a utility dman or a couple bottom 6 forwards.

I'll take McDavid over Petersson, Reinhart and depth any day.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
McDavid no showed the playoffs again. I had such high hopes after being so dominant in the regular season but for 12.5 he needs to show up. Pettersson @3m you can build a disgusting team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad